Chase behavior on the road

The only way to keep chasing unregulated is to consistantly show that it doesn't need to be.

brianb
[/b]

If every chaser started calling in other chasers to the police how fast do you think it would be before regulation would be brought up in state legislation?

I don't see a lot of chasers doing things wrong while driving. Granted I don't worry about other chasers because I am focused on what I am doing (This technique is very powerful). I don't worry about other people because there is not a dang thing I can do nor want to do about other’s behavior. I take care of myself and my own and do what I do. If you want to call me in because you think I am doing something wrong more power to you go ahead and call me in. Police me ok...

However, you will never get that chance.

Mick

Not necessarily.
[/b]

"I guess my point is that we're all at one point or another, guilty of being irresponsible. "

I'm going to have to raise my hand in protest to that one... It's one thing to speed - it is another to speed irresponsibly. It's one thing to have a lightbar on for protection along the side of the road - it's another to use it so people pull off the highway.

What these people did was irresponsible. I imagine there are many of us who haven't even come close to approaching that level.
[/b]

Look at the context of my statement...
The use of lightbars, justiculating, speeding, passing aggressively, not paying attention, or profane speech - we've all done something that someone else could get mad at.[/b]

I totally agree with Mickey on this one. Call the cops and that's just what you'll get - regulation.

The best is to just let things happen. Sad to say, but eventually a chaser or one of the public will get hurt or even die because of their own or another chaser's actions. The only thing we can do is be ready with a response to our local officials and media outlets that we do not condone aggressive, unsafe, etc behavior and DO promote sensible and safe driving.

One more thing and then I'll rest my case. Calling the cops to enforce acceptable behavior could also lead to putting the public at risk as the police won't be able to respond as quickly because they're dealing with a bunch of yahoos.

I think another way to combat this type of thing is to incorporate a commentary or FAQ on your web site talking about it. I know for a fact that chasers young, old, new and experienced alike spend a lot of time browsing and reading chaser sites especially over the winter. Seeing the same thing voiced again and again on every chaser site one reads might go a long way in getting a message across.

Sean, nobody expects you, or anybody else, to get into an accident at 70 miles per hour on a wet road just to make a police or storm report. That would be stupid! Obviously, however, if weather and road conditions are safe enough, or if time permits, do take the time to make a report. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a do gooder or tattletale, or ratting somebody out just because they speed, or forget a turn signal when they pass. It's all about reporting dangerous and illegal behavior. That's my original point. If anyone wants to disagree, feel free, that's your right, and your perogative. I'll respect your opinions.

Also, Bryce, you're absolutely right, I haven't heard of a chaser killing anyone either. I agree that most chasers and spotters are responsible and safe. However, there are those, who, whether by accident, or by choice, occasionally do irresponsible things. As most of the posters here, including you have said, when they cause damage or harm to others, or break the law, they should be reported.

Damon Poole

I'm just curious how many times those of you advocating calling the snitch line on other chasers driving habits do the same thing with regular drivers on your way to and from work...on a regular basis? If you do you seriously have more time on your hands than most people.

I figure if I spend more time worrying about the logistics of my chase I am a lot more likely to see MORE tornadoes than I would be spending my chase time worrying about snitching off other chasers and drawing even MORE unwanted attention to chasing activities. But that's just me I guess....

So far, I haven't seen any bad driving by chasers. However, if by chance I did see somebody doing something wrong, I wouldn't even bother calling it in. I might make a note of the plates and let dispatch know about it later, but LEO's are going to be too busy around storms to worry with minor traffic complaints.

As we all know, this comes up almost annually (and sometimes more often!). Report or not to report. Questions them or don't question them... Lights or no lights.... It ALL comes up over and over again.

Ok, restraint is needed.. for myself anyway.

Here's what "should" guide every individual out there. Comon Sense. Am I going to report every Tom, Dick, and Harry I see bending the speed limits? Nope. Am I going to call in the idiot passing me on the hill? Maybe, but probably not. Am I going to make a large stink over the guy that just passed me like I was sitting still and I'M going 75 mph??? No.

What I will report are those that are blatantly dangerous. That means not only to themselves, but to others on the road. Is this driver going to get killed or kill someone else in the very near future by their current antics? If they are, then yes, I will call it in. Usually to the Highway Patrol. They usually have a few cars in the storm area. One thing though. I had better darn certain of what I'm calling in and be prepared to articulate that to the Trooper. I would probably call in an Emergency Vehicle Impersonator as well. That sort of behavior can often lead to something more serious down the pike. However, they are usually caught fairly quickly and shown the error of their ways.

So do I report every little infraction I might see on the raod. Ha! The Dispatcher would end up putting a block on my phone number!

Next question. Am I gulty of bending the speed limits? On occasion, yes. Most often it's simply to keep up with traffic already moving as I certainly don't want to create a hazard myself. On a road that I KNOW isn't heavily travelled, Yes, I'll bend a limit. Never more than 5 or 10 mph over though. This is because my poor truck, just doesn't want to go that fast and the extra minute or two I gain at the end of the run isn't worth the effort or the gasoline.

We chasers are a very individual lot. Contrary to what most will say or post, we ARE concious of our image and the image we project. There are one or two exceptions to this, but they are pretty good at what they do. I represent a Media outlet. Plain and simple. Don't think if I'm out there doing something really stupid, I don't hear about it. I do.

John

We may not like talking about it, but we need to, if we want chasing to remain free and unhampered in the future.

Karma will catch up with yahoos eventually.

But storm chasing (the end destination) is really not the issue. Some people would be inclined to do that anyway even if they were out chasing something else.

In any case, breaking two laws –

1) Reckless driving
2) Impersonating authorities

reaps what it deserves: jail and fines.

Yahoo chasers might want to read this story out of Illinois. Penalties are getting even stiffer for costuming like authorities for any reason.

“It also stiffens the penalties for non-emergency workers who use a flashing light to pull someone over…â€

ARTICLE

And I agree!

Nothing positive comes out of that fashion show. There is no reason for it at all, plus, it will not get any of us closer to a storm. Actually, it harms chasing with bad PR, bringing scrutiny. “What does he need that paint job and all those blinking lights for?â€

I can see why this irks a lot of people. Don’t we read so many headlines about motorists or senior citizens pulled over or accosted by impersonators of police, emergency worker, fire or utility company workers. That is not related to storm chasing at all, but it underscores one more compelling reason not to don ourselves falsely to look “officialâ€. It misleads people. Why do it? What is the real reason?

The reality is, for most, storm chasing is a ridiculously non-official activity. It is what it is. Why not just dress the part? We don’t wear police- or fire-looking uniforms as street clothes, why do we do this to our vehicles? Police, fire, ambulance, and other regalia is meant only for those serving in that official capacity. It is how the public recognizes them. That is its design.

Those who play dress-up, then on top of that run around and break traffic laws, bring chasers a big problem. It is not child’s play, it could truly change things, and we don’t want that. Discussing it is a good thing. We may not want to but we need to.

I think the whole idea of calling in chasers when you see them driving fast is insanely ridiculous, if I were going to call in chasers when I see them driving fast or wrecklessly I would feel inclined to make the same sort of calls when not chasing just traveling to the grocery store ect.. and if one were to do that you would be on the phone more then off. People bend stretch and break laws thats their choice leave it up to the authorities to deal with them. Personally if I am chasing a storm and its traveling 60 mph and the speed limit is 55 i'm gonna drive 65 or maybe faster, so what one of you decide to call me in I have no problem paying my $100 ticket. As for the lights if they were truly using them to get people to pull over that isnt right but in many cases those light could be considered a saftey tool not only do they warn those on the road that there is danger in the sky it alerts them to those who are driving fast.

Multitasking drivers are three times as likely to be involved in a crash as more attentive motorists who don't dab on makeup, eat breakfast, or chat on cell phones, a new study reveals. Almost 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes happen within three seconds of some form of driver distraction, according to the report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.[/b]
-front page of CNN.com right now

I don't think the people raising this issue are suggesting that they are without sin. I've never heard anybody claim to be the only chaser who doesn't push the accelerator on lonely Sandhills roads, hurry through a yellow light in Liberal, Kansas, or talk on the phone while switching back and forth between reflectivity and shear on MTN, all at 80mph.

But how can it hurt to remind ourselves to be careful or even to ask those with unique vehicle configurations to consider how their actions may or may not affect others? I don't mind asking them. Doesn't a vehicle with all that equipment and color at least *suggest* that the owner does not mind the attention? This is just more of that same attention.

I don't agree with Nick that the conversation is threatening or that it should be silenced. That we should not be allowed to talk about safety because it is oddly offensive to some. We all have the choice of whether or not to read a topic entitled "Chaser behavior on the road."

As for the lights if they were truly using them to get people to pull over that isnt right but in many cases those light could be considered a saftey tool not only do they warn those on the road that there is danger in the sky it alerts them to those who are driving fast.
[/b]

Having lights on your car DOES NOT give you the right to speed. Even those of us that have red/blue and can use them (legally) are required to actually be going to the scene of a emergency to use them. I do not consider storm chasing going to the scene of an emergency, especially since 99 times out of 100 the storm that I am chasing will not be in my jurisdiction anyway. I have never used my emergency lights on a storm chase and have no intentions on doing so. As for yellow/amber lights, they are ok, I guess, but I would think that the only real need to use them would be while along side the road, but not while driving, although driving with yellow/amber is legal in most states.

EDIT: While I am not saying that I do not speed while chasing. (I admit, I do speed quite frequently infact) It is not acceptable to speed AND use emergency lights to get people to pull over. Speeding is one thing, making people pull off of the roadway so you can get closer to a storm is quite another.

Doesn't matter if you come from 1000 miles or 10 miles, if you are breaking the law and have an accident it will be used against you. Whether it contributed to the accident or not. The thought might scare you and trying to shut down a discussion of it will not change anything. It is something to think about anytime you are out on the road.

"the speed limit is 55 i'm gonna drive 65 or maybe faster, so what one of you decide to call me in I have no problem paying my $100 ticke"

If you consider 65 in a 55 to be reckless driving and potentially deadly to other cars - you haven't driven in a real city yet ;>

I think some members have gotten a tad defensive over what's essentially a misinterpretation of the concept of reporting chasers to the police. Of course this sounds like a bad idea; we all speed when we're chasing, and not always because we were out of position ;) But speeding is not the issue; the issue is endangering and criminal behavior.

When someone almost forces you off the road, when someone impersonates law enforcement or emergency responders to gain storm access, when someone is an accident waiting to happen, that's not the same as speeding or taking a turn too fast or flashing yellows. That's clearly worse. Someone who poses an imminent danger should be reported as soon as safely possible. Someone who does not pose a physical danger but who is impersonating law enforcement should be videorecorded if possible for later reporting.

This all falls under common sense too. Most of us will never be in a position to make such a report. However, on those occasions when we are in that position, we have the same obligation to report dangerously criminal activity while chasing as we would in any other situation. Chasing does not disable the Civic Duty function.

Ding Ding Ding Joe. Exactly. Reckless and criminal behavior I will call in.... it isn't about speeding. I've called the police several times late at night when I've seen cars driving erratically (potential drunk driving). Does it help? I don't know... but the last thing I want to read in the paper is a report on a car wreck that killed a few innocent people involving the same car I saw earlier...

Aaron

Back