Character Limit To Thread Posts

Has anyone else run into this issue? I've been trying to post a good story in the Bear's Cage Forum, and it gives me the error that I'm over 10,000 characters. I've shortened the story as much as I can but it's still at 12,500 characters. I've sent two messages to the web master with no reply. Any suggestions?

I would recommend shortening it to meet the 10K limit that has been set and no one has ever had a word to say about the limit that I can recall. Posts aren't intended to become novels and 10K seems like a good cutoff point to avoid that scenario from becoming a reality.

Russell,

My recommendation would be to go Twitter-style and do the old 1., 2, like when your message is too large for one Tweet. Have your entire post in a word editor (MS Word, Wordpad) and know where the best break is at the end of a paragraph where it doesn't exceed 10K characters.

In the first post write Post #1 at the top and then copy and paste the first chunk. At the bottom write continued in parentheses, or (continued).

Then before someone can reply, you quickly create a reply and write Post #2 at the top, and then copy and paste the remainder of your content. This way you won't have to shorten it and we won't have to change the max character limit. Use the "More Options" button and preview the first post to ensure it'll fit when you set up the first chunk. The rest should be a walk in the park if you follow the above. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mark

I would recommend shortening it to meet the 10K limit that has been set and no one has ever had a word to say about the limit that I can recall. Posts aren't intended to become novels and 10K seems like a good cutoff point to avoid that scenario from becoming a reality.

I cannot shorten it any without detracting from the adventure.

Russell,

My recommendation would be to go Twitter-style and do the old 1., 2, like when your message is too large for one Tweet. Have your entire post in a word editor (MS Word, Wordpad) and know where the best break is at the end of a paragraph where it doesn't exceed 10K characters.

In the first post write Post #1 at the top and then copy and paste the first chunk. At the bottom write continued in parentheses, or (continued).

Then before someone can reply, you quickly create a reply and write Post #2 at the top, and then copy and paste the remainder of your content. This way you won't have to shorten it and we won't have to change the max character limit. Use the "More Options" button and preview the first post to ensure it'll fit when you set up the first chunk. The rest should be a walk in the park if you follow the above. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks Mark, but I am able to preview the entire post, it just gives me the error when I try and create the Thread. I don't think there should be a character limit to posts. I can't say I've run into this issue on other Boards. I guess if the limit cannot be adjusted, the only other option for me would be to upload it to the site as a PDF File and have it posted by one of the Staff Members. That way I'd know it was worth reading.

You can upload and post your own .pdf file without any assistance from a staff member in case you weren't aware.

Russell, we're all excited to read your content. Both the PDF option and the two post option should suffice.
The reasons for the limit are both database-driven and spam prevention-driven. Apologies for the inconvenience!

I was never able to post the article, but I did get it published in my local chapter of the AMS newsletter, it made the front page! Doing a PDF doesn't work for this cause I want to read others direct comments. However, I was hoping that maybe I could send the PDF to one of the top admins on here who could post it for me by over-riding the character limit. It's 12,500 characters according to Word, so it's not that much over.

You can upload and post your own .pdf file without any assistance from a staff member in case you weren't aware.

But a PDF file must be opened or d/led to read. I'm kinda looking for some immediate reactions to the adventure and it's just not the same when the post isn't being reacted to, but a file instead. It's just me--I guess.

Finally, since my post dealt with reverse storm chasing trying to view the Total Eclipse of Aug. 21, it's kind of no longer current or relevant. Won't have the same reaction as if I could have posted it closer to the actual event.

Remember the other option noted was to post one half of it and immediately reply to that message with the second half.

Weakens the delivery, however my story was edited by the publication it was published in. Perhaps if I transcribe the edited version it will come in under the limit. But, that will have to be if I feel like putting forth the effort and time to do that.

What about posting a link to the article that was published in your local AMS Chapter newsletter, with pertinent comments of course. I think it should be in the Sky Photography sub-forum vs Bear’s Cage as that will give it more credibility.

Let’s either get it done or consider this closed. I too am interested in reading it but not just talking about it for an indeterminate time frame.

Sent from my iPad using Stormtrack

Back