Carbon fiber hoods. Hail proof?

Does anyone have experience with a carbon fiber hood in a hail storm? If so, what size was the hail and how did the hood fare?

I am looking into buying a new chase vehicle (Toyota FJ Cruiser) and I want to take some extra steps to protect the hood from hail dents. I have seen bed liner on hoods, but I don't think that my wife would go for that.

I'm not looking for something to stand up to softball sized hail, that would be a tall order. I am really looking for something that can withstand golfball sized hail, and maybe a couple of baseballs.

I just found a couple of articles about carbon fiber and it's automotive uses. The new Corvette Z06 utilizes carbon fiber fenders and quite a few high end auto manufacturers are using it because of it's high strength and low weight. It is used extensively in F1 racing, as well.

I know that fiberglass would crack or shatter in hail, but carbon fiber is a different story. Apparently, it is the wave of the future in manufacturing light-weight automobiles.

I might have to be the storm chasing test subject for carbon fiber hoods.

See if you can get a sponsor. Also, you might check with some people on custom automovtive forums to see if anyone has any stories about their hoods and hail. That's not a bad idea, although I like the bed-liner idea better :) But if your financing, you don't want to spend money on permanent items, just in case. You can always swap a hood.

As for a sponsor, it might be cool for a company to label a hood as "Tested by a storm chaser through X sized hail and high winds. Watch the video."

I wonder if you could find some scrap pieces and do your own Mythbuster-style tests. Maybe drop various items (rocks, baseballs, etc) off of an office building onto it. And be sure to get it on video!

Originally posted by Dan Robinson
I wonder if you could find some scrap pieces and do your own Mythbuster-style tests. Maybe drop various items (rocks, baseballs, etc) off of an office building onto it. And be sure to get it on video!

That's a good idea too! I'm sure there's plenty of kids that had one on their Honda when they nailed a car while drag racing or rolled it off the road (not that I know anything about that).

Rhinoliner does a pretty decent job of deflecting up to about 2.5" hail before it starts denting noticably, and then the dent isn't as bad as it would have been without it. This is from personal observation on my previous chase vehicle. They have it in colors now too. The down side is it's freakin' heavy (think mpg) and it doesn't lend itself to being shiny unless it's wet.

Back