Car rental vs. Turo vs Zipcar

About to embark on my 4th chasecation, and the trying to decide how to rent a chase vehicle from May 18- May 23rd.

For the last 3 years, I've rented a car. 2x from airports(in Dallas). And 1x from local place in RI from which to drove to CO to start Chase. The latter is definitely out. We've booked flights and arrive in Dallas Non-stop from Boston.

Has anyone rented from Truro or another ride sharing site to chase? Turo allows you to pick a car price it out, and speak with owner. Not sure how the convo would go when telling owner why I'm renting their car, so I'm leaning to the traditional rental car method.

Zipcar requires a monthly subscription fee and mileage seems limited. I like the idea of renting again, it's the limited choice and expensive options that are making me look at other options.

Last year we got lucky and found a Ford Edge at Dallas a Rental Car location which provided AWD and comfort for th 1000+ miles we put on the car.

Curious if there is a better option than renting that perhaps I'm overlooking as well.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack

I can't speak to the latter 2 as I have never done that, but if you rent a car you will pay way less in taxes and fees at non-airport locations. Local and state governments love to tax the tourists and airport concession fees are huge.

Thanks for posting Randy. This is where being a Noob sucks. 69 views and 1 reply. I know, wah!!

Thinking rental car, but not sure hassle of leaving airport to find one is worth it.

Honestly, after yesterday's crash, I'm having second thoughts altogether. My partner is the driver, and I feel safe with him driving, but I keep thinking about my 2 & 4 yr olds growing up without a father and I well up with tears.

How much to rent for the whole vacation? What about buying a beater, running it into the ground, and selling it or scrapping it at the end?

How much to rent for the whole vacation? What about buying a beater, running it into the ground, and selling it or scrapping it at the end?
Our costs have varied drastically. 1 yr we had brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with all bells/whisles for $1150 1 week period. Another trip we had Chevy Captiva (Craptiva) that could barely get out of its own way and was around $800. last year a New Ford Edge costs around $550-$600.

Its the additional insurance that costs more typically. I'm paranoid about damage so usually opt for higher coverage and read every word of fine print.

I've thought about buying a beater but my fear is reliability, not to mention registering the car in whatever state I buy it in. I'm near Boston, which makes this a 5-7 day plan ahead type trip each year.

Oh well. Rental car it is.

Sounds like you have your answer. Reliability would definitely be a concern buying a crap can, although I can't imagine getting a temp reg costing too much...maybe like transport tags or something. Then drive it into a core on the last day of the trip and write it off. ;)

Back