Blizzard of 2005

I wouldn't expect thundersnow until much later, probably after midnight. The coastal low is just getting its act together now.

Wow, an interesting discussion from the Boston NWSFO citing >30" snowfalls near Cape Cod and 85mph winds! :shock: For what it's worth, this morning's complete AFD (short term, long term, aviation, marine) from Boston is the longest AFD I have ever seen!

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KBOX/0501221919.fxus61.html

The ETA shows a doozy of a storm (975mb) off the east coast by Sunday night, so it's an awful good thing it is located a bit offshore, as it certainly could be a little closer to shore. Much of the greatest QPF is located offshore by tomorrow...

Yes, that AFD reads a lot like a book, but good stuff though. Coastal flooding could be interesting. I live at the western end of Long Island Sound, and a persistent NE wind tends to pile the water in here. It could be a long night of helping neighbors move to higher ground.

Moderate snow in Darien right now, maybe 2 inches on the ground and pressure failing rapidly.

Does anybody know what the record low pressures are for Nor'easters? I think for NYC area the December 92' storm set a record. That was a 100 year storm, followed by another 100 year storm with the '93 Superstorm

MY BIRTHDAY IS TOMMOROW AND IT LOOKED LIKE MY AREA WOULD SEE 6-12" WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS TONIGHT DUE TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING. BUT, NOOOOOO. A DRY SLOT HAD TO COME IN AND STOP THE SNOW BEFORE I GOT 5" :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :x

Too bad the Patriots don't have home field advantage for tomorrow's game. That's football weather for sure! LOL. Would be like playing Madden and cranking up every nasty weather condition available.

Does anybody know what the record low pressures are for Nor'easters? I think for NYC area the December 92' storm set a record. That was a 100 year storm, followed by another 100 year storm with the '93 Superstorm

Not sure, but I believe the '93 storm bottomed out at nearly 960mb... On a side note, there was a sub 955mb bomb near CLE on January 28, 1978. Too bad you don't see 20" to >30" unless your in a lake effect area or near the east coast... Then again, you could get really lucky like OH/IN just before Christmas with 36 hour totals of 33 inches...

Not sure, but I believe the '93 storm bottomed out at nearly 960mb... On a side note, there was a sub 955mb bomb near CLE on January 28, 1978. Too bad you don't see 20" to >30" unless your in a lake effect area or near the east coast... Then again, you could get really lucky like OH/IN just before Christmas with 36 hour totals of 33 inches...

Just for future refrence the storm you're referring to that slammed Ohio in 78 was on Jan 26, not 28th. To date, its the worst blizzard to ever hit Ohio. I produced snowfall amounts of 1-2 feet. Sustained winds of I believe 70mph with gusts over 100mph created drifts up the roofs of houses. More than 50 people were killed in Ohio alone. We never get blizzards here anymore. I have a curse on me. :cry:

This is Rockwell reporting live from outer Cape Cod. I've been watching the BOX radar closely for the past few hours. We've been getting light ocean-effect snow all day, and it looks like the heavy snow is going to start in roughly... five minutes. I'll keep you guys posted... assuming the power stays on with all this wind.

For effect, here's an excerpt from the local Winter Weather Statement:
Snow will likely fall at the rate of 3 inches per hour for
several hours overnight. Strong northeast winds will increase to over
35 mph for a time tonight and Sunday morning. Along the coast... wind
gusts between 60 and 70 mph are expected late tonight and Sunday
morning. Even hurricane force gusts to 75 mph are possible along the
Outer Cape and Nantucket coast during Sunday morning.

In Richmond, Virginia, there was a little snow in the late morning. Then a mixture of sleet and freezing rain through out the day. Currently, its 28 degrees. After a period of very heavy freezing rain, I've been hearing thunder.

I'd rather be in Boston to enjoy the blizzard. Still, this may be the only thunder and lightning until March.

Bill Hark

Back