Annual Storm Chasing Awards - Rebirth

I tried this a couple years ago and it didn't really go through... now that we've established ST much more and are userbase is pretty familiar, I thought I would give it a go again. Below are the categories for the annual awards; some are indivigual, others are weather. There will be NO direct chaser of the year award or anything like that to avoid the obvious issues of safety and eliteness.

Right now, we're organizing entries; I'm hoping to have 3 in each category to vote on in a couple weeks; please list ONLY ONE, preferrably one you experienced.

For those who don't chase, you can vote based upon other's logs and such.

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year - Which tornado was the most photogenic, easiest to chase, etc.

2. Worst Bust of the Year - Which day was the hardest to forecast that busted huge.

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - Mainly statistical, but also in terms of most chasable outbreak.

4. Surprise of the Year - Which "see text" day (or slight, whatever) was the biggest surprise.

5. Craziest Core of the Year - Which storm core was the most damaging to chasers; scariest, etc (doesn't need to be hail only).

6. Chase Day of the Year - What single day was the best chase day of 2005.

7. Chase Town of the Year - What small town in the Plains had the best hotels, food, service, or was a usual base for you.

8. Chase Song of the Year - Which song best sums up the 2005 chase season.

9. Chase State of the Year - Which state served you the best this year in terms of weather.

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - A silly award to the hotel chain which you stayed at the most and/or liked.

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Awarded to the indivigual storm chaser who had the best storm chasing website in 2005.

2. Blogger of the Year - With the advent of blogs, this award goes to the indivigual who had the best blog of the year.

3. Best Group Chasing Website - Awarded to a chase team/organization with the best website of 2005.

4. Best Data Site - Site that earned the best grade with you in terms of chasing data (pay or free). NOTE, this does NOT include software such as WXWorx, etc.

Submit your nominees below; in a couple weeks, I'll talley the totals and make polls for each using the top 3 nominations in each category. All that's required is your choice; no explanation is needed as to why unless you really want to kill of time. Once the polls go up, I'll allow voting for a week or so, then post the results.

Website awards will be presented graphics to display on their site and/or blogs (exception being data sites).

And yes, you can vote for your own websites and blogs!

Enjoy!

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT NOMINEES IS MONDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2005

3.) June 9 for most chaseable outbreak, Nov. 15 for most destructive outbreak

4.) August 18-Wisconsin state record tornado outbreak on a slight risk

5.) I wasn't there but I'd guess May 12 near South Plains, TX

8.) REO Speedwagon-"Ridin' the Storm Out"-referring primarily to the hurricane season

1. June 9 - Hill City, KS
2. May 11 - W. KS PDS bust
3. June 9
4. June 3 ne Oklahoma tornadoes - first for the state in over a month/ June 30 se KS - what a day
5. May 12 - Mick's video wins me over
6. June 9 - tornadoes from two different sups
7. Childress, TX
8. Smashing Pumpkins - Zero ;)
9. Kansas
10. Best Western's

Chase Internet Awards
1. Dave Crowley/Justin Teague www.stormguy.com
2. Amos Magliocco
3. Weathervine
4. Earl Barker's wxcaster site

1) 6-9 Stockton
2) May 11 PDS
3) June 9
4) May 12 (SLGT with wedge tornadoes along a cold front)
5) June 9 Supercell
6) June 12
7) Norman, OK
8) Rippingtons - Cast A Spell (TWC new age)
9) Texas
10) Super 8

1) Mike Hollingshead
2) Amos Magliocco
3) Weathervine
4) Earl Barker's WXCASTER.com (awesome data)

1. Trego Center KS June 9th.
2. May 7th Texas Panhandle
3. June 9th
4. Aug 18th Wisconsin
5. May 12th easy.
6. May 7th Kearney NE area
7. Nebraska City Sapp Bros
8. Earshot-Wait
9. Hmm... KS?
10. Best Western-Great WIFI, nice people.

1. Eric Nguyen
2. Amos Magliocco
3. Weathervine
4. Cod

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year - June 4 - Hiawatha, Kansas (just realized you said to just vote for one, preferably one we experienced).

2. Worst Bust of the Year - I'm going to go with May 11 on this one. Even though we intercepted one of the few tor-warned cells of the day early on over Missouri, the expected outbreak of supercells to the west in Kansas never materialized and I wasted a lot of gas.

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - Statistically I'd have to go with Nov. 15, which was almost completely un-chaseable. - For most chaseable, I can't really think of a true outbreak situation that resulted in large-scale chaseable storms this year. The days in which 'outbreaks' were expected generally resulted in only one or two storms able to actually produce tornadoes, a situation that seemed to repeat itself a lot this year.

4. Surprise of the Year - I'd probably go with last Saturday, November 12th ... not just because it's fresh in my memory, but because this slight risk day produced a couple of the most newsworthy tornadoes of the year.

5. Craziest Core of the Year - Jeeze - easy ... May 12th nightmare hail in Texas.

6. Chase Day of the Year - Probably June 9th again.

7. Chase Town of the Year - Kansas City ... it's home, has the best food in the plains and is in just about the most convenient place as far as chasing is concerned.

8. Chase Song of the Year - Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day).

9. Chase State of the Year - Kansas, baby.

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - Best Western ... no doubt.

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Hmm ... I probably visited Hollingshead's more than any other ... plus it gets the 'most Farked' award, hands down, and likely had the highest hits.

2. Blogger of the Year - Amos ... I read it faithfully.

3. Best Group Chasing Website - Weathervine.

4. Best Data Site - COD.

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year - April 10 (Trego Co., KS)

2. Worst Bust of the Year - May 21

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - November 15

4. Surprise of the Year - May 18 cause of the lightning I shot.

5. Craziest Core of the Year - October 19; Oklahoma

6. Chase Day of the Year - April 10

7. Chase Town of the Year - Colby, KS

8. Chase Song of the Year - "Chasing the Wind" cause Nature didn't seem to care about me this year! :lol:

9. Chase State of the Year - Kansas

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - Best Western

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Mine (yes, I know.. bad, but I take pride in my site).

2. Blogger of the Year - Amos Magliocco

3. Best Group Chasing Website - Weathervine

4. Best Data Site - WeatherTap

Since I'm a Canuck, I'll give this a Canadian twist. lol

1. Best Tornado of the Year - August 19th (Fergus ON)

2. Worst Bust of the Year - May 10th

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - August 19th

4. Surprise of the Year - November 9th (F1 in Hamilton ON)

5. Craziest Core of the Year- August 19th (Worst rain I've driven in)

6. Chase Day of the Year - August 19th

7. Chase Town of the Year - NA (All chases were pretty close to home)

8. Chase Song of the Year - Toss up between Turn The Page by Bob Seger, and Any thing by System of A Down

9. Chase State of the Year - Ontario

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - NA

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Vaughan Weather

2. Blogger of the Year - Haven't read any

3. Best Group Chasing Website - This site

4. Best Data Site - Ontarioweather.com

1. Best Tornado of the Year - Hill City, KS June 9

2. Worst Bust of the Year - June 4 high risk

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - Chaseable: June 9 (TX to KS) Non-chaseable: Nov 15

4. Surprise of the Year - May 11 SW Kansas

5. Craziest Core of the Year- May 12 South Plains, TX

6. Chase Day of the Year - June 12 Kent County, TX

7. Chase Town of the Year - Childress, TX

8. Chase Song of the Year - Rich Mullins - Ready for the Storm

9. Chase State of the Year - Texas

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - Hampton Inn

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Tie: Mike Hollingshead & Dave Crowley/Justin Teague

3. Best Group Chasing Website - Dave Crowley/Justin Teague

4. Best Data Site - College of Dupage

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year -

Structure and tornado together - Hill City, June 9th
Just the tornado(whatever that is...) - either June 4th ne KS, or July 2nd northern MN(did not see either)

2. Worst Bust of the Year - May/June 4th

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - From a chaseable perspective it is easy - June 9

4. Surprise of the Year - November 12, IA

5. Craziest Core of the Year - May 12, TX(wasn't there)

6. Chase Day of the Year - June 9th

8. Chase Song of the Year - Don't worry be happy.

9. Chase State of the Year - KS

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - I-29 Motel in Sissetown SD thanks to "a tour just took our last 12 rooms" super 8 across the street.

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Eric Nguyen

2. Blogger of the Year - Roger Edwards

4. Best Data Site - RAP(not that I look for others)

1. Best Tornado of the Year - November 27th (SE KS)

2. Worst Bust of the Year - September 14th (In my experience) - SW OK Mod. Risk

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - June 9th (Did not chase)

4. Surprise of the Year - June 30th (SE Kansas)

7. Chase Town of the Year - Enid, Oklahoma

-----

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Stormguy.com (Dave Crowley / Justin Teague)

3. Best Group Chasing Website - Stormguy.com (Dave Crowley / Justin Teague)

4. Best Data Site - Earl's Weather

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year - June 29th Medalia MN. Up Close and Personal
2. Worst Bust of the Year - Proabably May 21st

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - Hard to say June 9 or the 12th

4. Surprise of the Year - Sept 22 Kinderhook, MI supercell

5. Craziest Core of the Year - For chasers May 12. For me May 31st and June 9

6. Chase Day of the Year - June 12th

7. Chase Town of the Year - Norman Shane Adams Hotel and Resort. Hastings Nebraska, Pete Mconnels Bed and Breakfast

9. Chase State of the Year - TEXAS

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - Shane Adams Hotel and resort to the floor. and Super 8

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Eric Nyguen, Mike H. well I guess mines okay, but for sure Dan Robinson and Dave Crowel and Justin T.

4. Best Data Site Weather COD. woot WOOT

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year - For me - June 12 Girard, TX; Overall - June 9th Hill City, KS

2. Worst Bust of the Year - June 4th

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - Statistical - Nov. 15th; Chaseable - tie between June 9th and June 12th

4. Surprise of the Year - Biggest suprise for me . . . that any of the junk on June 4th actually produced (most notably the Hiawatha tornado).

5. Craziest Core of the Year - May 12th

6. Chase Day of the Year - For me - June 12th; Overall - June 9th

7. Chase Town of the Year - Wherever . . . although I did spend a lot of time in Norman this year.

8. Chase Song of the Year - Rasputina - Hunter's Kiss

9. Chase State of the Year - Texas - been a long time since I could name a southern Plains state for this

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - My van. :lol: Really . . . I can't stand hotels. They're overpriced for what they offer. However, I'll pick Super 8 for the free Wifi! :D

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Scott Blair

3. Best Group Chasing Website - Weathervine

4. Best Data Site - College of DuPage

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
1. Best Tornado of the Year [/b]

Galesburg, KS (April 21)

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
2. Worst Bust of the Year - Which day was the hardest to forecast that busted huge.[/b]

June 2 (SW Kansas)

<!--QuoteBegin-Tony Laubach
@

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - Mainly statistical, but also in terms of most chasable outbreak.

June 9 (statistical & chaseable)

4. Surprise of the Year - Which \"see text\" day (or slight, whatever) was the biggest surprise.

June 5 (SW Oklahoma)

5. Craziest Core of the Year - Which storm core was the most damaging to chasers; scariest, etc (doesn't need to be hail only).[/b]

May 12 (South Plains, TX)

6. Chase Day of the Year - What single day was the best chase day of 2005.)[/b]

June 9

@
7. Chase Town of the Year - What small town in the Plains had the best hotels, food, service, or was a usual base for you.

Altus, OK

8. Chase Song of the Year - Which song best sums up the 2005 chase season.

"Fly" by King's X

9. Chase State of the Year - Which state served you the best this year in terms of weather.[/b]

A draw: Kansas/Texas

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - A silly award to the hotel chain which you stayed at the most and/or liked.[/b]

Best Western

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - Awarded to the indivigual storm chaser who had the best storm chasing website in 2005.

Gene Moore

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
2. Blogger of the Year - With the advent of blogs, this award goes to the individual who had the best blog of the year.

Too many friends have great ones, so I'll go with my own 8)

@
3. Best Group Chasing Website - Awarded to a chase team/organization with the best website of 2005..

J Squared

4. Best Data Site - Site that earned the best grade with you in terms of chasing data (pay or free). NOTE, this does NOT include software such as WXWorx, etc..

CoD

WEATHER AWARDS

1. Best Tornado of the Year - April 10th WaKeeney, KS (for me) June 4th Hiawatha, KS (overall)

2. Worst Bust of the Year - June 9th I left Atchison, KS at 3:30 PM raced west arriving in Ellis at ~7:30 PM. Upon may arrival all tornadic supercells weakened and died. WTF!

3. Biggest Outbreak of the Year - June 9th

4. Surprise of the Year - March 21st Northern Oklahoma cold core tornadoes.

5. Craziest Core of the Year - May 12th Plainview, TX area.

6. Chase Day of the Year - June 7th Southwest SD.

7. Chase Town of the Year - Bowman, ND

8. Chase Song of the Year - "I've Had Better Days" by Cooder Graw

10. Best Chase Hotel Chain - Super 8

CHASE INTERNET AWARDS

1. Best Personal Chasing Website - www.targetarea.net (Scott Blair)

2. Blogger of the Year - www.cycloneroad.com (Amos Magliocco)

3. Best Group Chasing Website - www.stormtrack.org

4. Best Data Site - www.mesoscale.ws/forecast/ (Eric Nguyen)

Back