Amazing eyewall 'kink' observed in Wilma ~230AM EDT

Jeff and I were discussing this somewhat in the TA earlier, but feel this is unique enough of an occurrance to warrant its own thread.

Notice in images 3 thru 8 that an interesting 'ripple' develops in the SErn eyewall of Wilma, which also seems to coincide with the 130/135kt wind readings from the recon flight. I have never seen something like this before and am wondering if anyone else has noted a similar occurance in any previous storms. It has an appearance similar to that of a line of storms that is "bowing out," something I have never seen before in the inner eyewall of a hurricane. Hmm.

Image #1:
06029tq.png

Image #2:
06089ty.png

Image #3:
06130zm.png

Image #4:
06195di.png

Image #5:
06241hk.png

Image #6:
06299jb.png

Image #7:
06356uh.png

Image #8:
06409vf.png

I find it very likely that the above feature, whatever it might be, was almost single-handedly responsible for the 130/135kt wind readings from the last recon flight; the location and timeframe suggest that the recon data was taken very near to this feature as it whipped around the SE eyewall. Since then, Wilma has undergone some additional interesting transformations including the apparent breakdown of the NW eyewall into what appear to be several smaller bands...whatever it is that Wilma is trying to accomplish, she's only got a short time left to do it.

"Aircraft flight level winds
were as high as 135 kt earlier but Doppler radar observations
indicate that these winds were likely associated with transient
mesoscale features."

from the 5am discussion.

There looks as though there was another one of the mesoscale features that have spun through the eastern half of the inner eyewall in the past 15 minutes. It was lower in amplitude, but looked similar with a "kink" and an area of enhanced reflectivities on the nose of the kink. The feature just missed Miami to the west, and is near I95 now.

Back