9/22/05 NOW: GREAT LAKES

Originally posted by nickgrillo
Kurt,

Good development finally... Cass county cell just beginning to fire already showing large hail signatures on radar. Given southwest MI is prime for severe thunderstorms (hail, wind and maybe even a weak tornado) - I'd go after it...

EDIT: Get down there... It's not far from where you are (Cass county) and it's showing extremely large hail indications (VIL >60 already) with 2.75\" inch being detected by GRLevel3.

I had already left like 20 minutes before LOL :wink:

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kurt Hulst)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo
Kurt,

Good development finally... Cass county cell just beginning to fire already showing large hail signatures on radar. Given southwest MI is prime for severe thunderstorms (hail, wind and maybe even a weak tornado) - I'd go after it...

EDIT: Get down there... It's not far from where you are (Cass county) and it's showing extremely large hail indications (VIL >60 already) with 2.75\" inch being detected by GRLevel3.

I had already left like 20 minutes before LOL :wink:[/b]

Wow, that's luck Kurt, lol. Did you see anything....good?

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdale
\"Just got back from eating, and I can't believe there wasn't a TOR issued for the Coldwater area.\"

I was under the rotation, no signs of it extending down or tightening up. Report tomorrow - I'm pooped after 300 miles and 5 hours but it ROCKED!!!

That's interesting... I didn't have other radar data available, but I am guessing the rotation was rather broad on the low level SRV scans, not tight enough to produce anything. Also - if I recall correctly - SPC mesoanalysis had a pretty steep gradient of higher LCL's to the south, right about where that cell was located. This was most likely the result of a larger SFC Td depression, versus the cooler areas to the north...

Just an example of why every TVS signature on the radar doesn't produce a tornado![/b]

Well the cell i was on south of Cold water was pretty low to the ground weak rotation when i got to it but great looking non the less. quickly gusted out and turned into a HP style looking cell after that. AWESOME day. I think i saw the funnel that was reported by a HAM SKy warn spotter. But definetly saw the wall cloud i was with in 1.5 miles SE of it.

Yeah, Kurt was in WAY better position to intercept the Cass county supercell(s) during initiation...

No, I'd call anything where I pursue severe weather a "chase"... Yet, I considered this "chase" to be pretty crappy :lol:

Once again, MI is not a good place to chase. Although, I did a couple good sunset photos... I'll make a REPORT thread now.

Yeah, I saw your report on Midwest Chase. Nick I must say, very beautiful picture with the rainbow, and very good pictures, although the chase was crappy! :lol:

Back