9/14/05 NOW: Southern Plains

Those cells to the east and the ones that were in Dickens / Motley counties all appear to be in the process of a big merger (mess?). Perhaps they will merge into something worthwhile? Doubt it - right away anyway. That IMO makes the cell the the SW more of a possibly better choice as stated previously it is more discreet and by itself. I think someone would want to be on that cell as the E/W southward moving boundary passes through the southern cell. That may be the ticket.

This southern cell J0 is still showing TVS and > 4 inch hail indicated per algorythm.

The cell near Post seems to exhibit a persistent RFD signature for past hour and appears to be feeding off a small dryline bulge, so if can persist will definately strengthen with movement into higher Dewpoint air to the east; especially, when collides with OFB. Another area, for those in Quanah or Vernon area, is possibility of a dominant cell or two congealing from stuff northeast of Guthrie and/or from cluster over Dickens / Motley counties. I agree with possible cell of day being the one near Post.

Dryline magic strikes again!

:roll: :roll:

Probably the best stuff right now would be the bow/HP-ish crap from around Childress to Guthrie - where the best SFC-based instability (3000-4000) and deeplayer shear exist. Still at work... But took a brief look at mesoanaly/radar. Despite the strong low-level veering which exists across this region, the best stuff coming out of this would probably be a few significant wind reports as the majority of the stuff bows out.

Yeah it's dark now. Looks like it sux. Guess I'm glad after all I didn't chase it. Probably the subsidence was one of the factors that kept it from really producing - although I'd say there were a few.

Looks like the SPC over done the Moderate Risk tonight. The potential was there for a brief time, but too many storms started blowing up. No storm could really get going and isolated with all the competition around O well, still pretty good storms for mid September. Looks like I have to wait for storms in Colorado and New Mexico to enter the panhandles over night tonight. :D

No need to start a reports thread over this: I headed east out of Lubbock on 62/82 with CDS as my intial target, until I caught up with the Dickens cell on the boundary. It developed a large and very suggestive lowering but it dissipated. My nowcaster turned my attention to the cell that had drifted from Lynn to Garza county as it made a subtle turn from NE to E/NE. Still agasint my better judgement, I headed SW through Spur and intercepted this cell on 651 where it greeted me with golfball sized hail. Once I got positioned I had a great view of all three SVR warned cells in the Lubbock area, all had lowerings, but no visible rotation. Too much traffic in the sky today, but the potential was there. The main event of the day? On the way home, my transmission crapped out.

All of this stuff today was best as far as rotation in the mid levels....the dryline actually outran the mid level jet max. Awesome mixing along that dryline was visible per Lubbock Radar, but the low level environment never really was ripe enough for tornadic storms.

Sharp outflow boundary from thunderstorm complex in KS as pushed all the way to the northern panhandles of TX. Thunderstorms are starting to ignite about 15 miles to my south. Awsome lightning show south of Booker. Going to wait and see if any other storms develop to my north in hopes to get good lightning photos. Can't help to notice the storm in Munday county. The storm is becoming more organized by radar images and probally droping some decent size hail. Good luck to everyone!!!

Back