8/24/04 NOW: Midwest

THE OTHER THUNDERSTORM IS 5 MILES SOUTHEAST
OF BURLINGTON ILLINOIS. THIS THUNDERSTORM IS PRODUCING A TORNADO
AT 620 PM CDT.

Two rotating storms, and more storms trying to pop se of them.

STWs now bring issured for these cells:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
WESTERN AND NORTHWESTERN LAKE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS...
EASTERN HALF OF MCHENRY COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS

Looks like a cell is starting to go up just west of Manhattan KS - conveniently just after sunset. Grrr.... guess my CI timing was a bit off. 00Z TOP sounding shows very impressive instability - and that is north of the boundary - with >6600 J/Kg. You don't see that kind of CAPE observed very often in the UA network.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/upper/top.gif

Might still get a after dark torn for the next hour or so before the area starts filling in as the 850 jet crossing the boundary kicks into high gear. Early cell looks to already be developing weak mid-level rotation.

Glen

Looks like a cell is starting to go up just west of Manhattan KS - conveniently just after sunset. Grrr.... guess my CI timing was a bit off. 00Z TOP sounding shows very impressive instability - and that is north of the boundary - with >6600 J/Kg. You don't see that kind of CAPE observed very often in the UA network.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/upper/top.gif

Might still get a after dark torn for the next hour or so before the area starts filling in as the 850 jet crossing the boundary kicks into high gear. Early cell looks to already be developing weak mid-level rotation.

Glen

Hmm... According to the SkewT from COD, the TOP sounding only has 3290 J/KG CAPE... Looking at the parcel trajectory, I'd believe 3300 vs. 6600. --> http://weather.cod.edu/wx/public/raob/topskewt.GIF ... I think there was an error in the CAPE calculation by UCAR/NCAR/RAP...

EDIT: Sounding decoding from University of Wyoming also shows ~3300 J/KG SBCAPE from the TOP sounding (3394 J/KG to be exact) ---> http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/sounding?r...2500&STNM=72456

That's kinda weird - agree must be some sort of software bug, back of the envelope calc agrees closer with the non-RAP calculations - but comparing other sites I don't see such large differences - so maybe it is a QA related bug. Sorry for the over hype - RAP is usually pretty reliable - didn't look the closely (obviously).

Glen

The air has really become saturated again tonight. I had decided to hold off on heading west because the timing was so up in the air - very glad I did now. I have to be up in the middle of the night for overnight video tonight anyway, so at least now I'll hopefully get some good lightning again. Last time I had to do this during a severe situation was with the tornado warning in the middle of the night in KC ... pretty doubtful that I'll see that kind of excitement this time. Not a big fan of tor-warnings in the middle of the night here. I notice that tornadoes are still given an honorable mention in the WW issued, though.

Meanwhile cells near Manhattan are showing signs of strengthening. Additional storms may fire shortly in NE Kansas as well. Looking forward to another busy night! Hopefully things can get going a bit earlier tomorrow.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TOPEKA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
WEST CENTRAL POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS
EAST CENTRAL RILEY COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS

* UNTIL 1045 PM CDT

Very beautiful Supercell you got over there. Very strong rotation to it also and it's holding together nicely.

Very nice supercell now nw of Manhattan - too bad that didn't get going 4-5 hours earlier. There is a tornado warning issued - plenty of midlevel rotation, but lowlevel rotation has not been that impressive - but last scan looking better with ~ 40 knots gtg. Something fun to look at this evening if nothing else.

Glen

Storms early near chi. did produce damage which as of early reports say was done by a tornado:

0621 PM TORNADO 1 SW MCHENRY 42.33N 88.31W
08/24/2004 MCHENRY IL EMERGENCY MNGR

ROOFS BLOWN OFF OF BARN, SIDING RIPPED OFF OF NEW HOME
AND TREES WITH UNKNOWN DIAMETERS UPROOTED

Back