8/24/04 NOW: Midwest

rdale

EF5
Where'd that storm come from?!? Cell west of Chicago showing nice rotation and good hook as it moves northeast...

-
Unfortunately NWS Chicago has not figured out this whole "88D" thingy and has stopped producing some of the radar products while switching into VCP12...

Now a TOR with it! I don't see anything in the form of a boundary that would trip me to issue one on such a weakly rotating storm though. Nothing on sat or METAR's that says it'd drop a tube and shear is minimal (30kts at 30 miles away, 2300ft.)

Maybe it's pulsing severe in a locally-backed environment ... you'll have to watch it, I can't imagine it holding out for long - but who knows this year ... maybe it will turn right and head straight for Chicago for all any of us know. :)

CU fields in central - northeast Kansas are still holding my interest ... wishing for this cap to break soon and for a rogue supe to fire north of the boundary!

Very unexpected. I'm looking at the velocity and I am amazed on how beautifully this thing has developed.

This area isn't even in a slight risk!

It's still been maintaining it's very beautiful hook. It will be moving into Kane County in about 5-10 minuites or so.

"This area isn't even in a slight risk!"

It's in the 5% line for severe... Seems to be losing what definition it had over the past scan or two - winds in the cell area are SE around 3-7kts, with 10kts from the south behind the cell.

Nothing else in the area - everything "big" is down the IN/IL line.

- Rob

The tornado-warned cell in Chicago appears to be weakening as of the last scan.

Golfball hail has been reported with this storm in DeKalb county about ten minuites ago.

AT 545 PM CDT LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD ON ROUTE 23 MILE AND HALF MILE SOUTH OF DEKALB ILLINOIS.

remember DTX this morning talked about possible tornados in the high helicities near the warm front, but thought they wouldn't happen due to lack of any jet. I assume that is what's happening near chi. Also along the warm front and or backed winds from other storm outflow, lk breeze, etc.

From anyone intrested, this is a good site for the radar modes, link is to chi.
http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/paulradar.pl?LOT

The warm front is in northern MI / WI so that couldn't be the culprit... 6min profiler loops show nice winds coming in through western IL (30kts in low levels from WSW) with southerly winds across IN / eastern IL.

Strange... That puts it on the northern split cell, not the "core storm" and the nothern cell showed no signs of rotation at all...

Actually - even stranger after plotting the lat/long on radar imagery, the northern storm was already 5 miles east of that location!

really, i didn't think the front was already in wis. hmmm.........

Maybe it will be a little intresting in the southern lower after all. Hopefully the LLJ can get cranking for at least decent rainfall overnight, we need it pretty bad.

TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHERN KANE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS
SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST MCHENRY COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 700 PM CDT

* AT 617 PM CDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED A TORNADO AND RADAR INDICATED
ROTATION IN A THUNDERSTORM TWO AN HALF MILES NORTHWEST OF
BURLINGTON ILLINOIS.
Source:
http://kamala.cod.edu/svr/0408242324.KLOT.wfus53.html

Kane County is highly populated with over 400,000 people
and Mc Henry County has over 260,000 people.

Mike

Back