8/18/04 NOW: Midwest/Great Lakes

A blue box has just been issued for portions of WI, MN, IA and Upper Michigan. A line is already trying to form across MN and WI and is spreading southeastward and should enter the rest of MI by the late evening...

No warnings as of yet, but the line is already strenghening.

NOW...

storms that are out there are movin pretty fast. I think warnings will be a flyin by 3.30.

Look at the speed of the storm over lk. superior:

AT 249 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM 18 MILES SOUTH OF MANITOU ISLAND. THE STORM
WAS MOVING EAST AT 50 KNOTS

Sunny skies here in Madison as of 2:20PM, but watching developments.

Hey can anyone confirm if the tornado warning in Menominee, MI was due to being spotted or was this from radar?

The wind is picking up here in Green Bay. Clouds here don't look bad.

No spotter reports of it so far...it's been picked up by radar.

Radar shows very strong rotation to it and a TOR is definitely needed on this one. No signs of it weakening so far...

Dark skies in Madison at 5:29PM. Looks like a heavy rain event so far.

The weather service just issued a frost advisory for Madison. This is August, it was 80 degress today, this must be a mistake.

I don't see any sign of rotation in Madison-Oconomowoc squall line. Looks like cells to the NE had a little more energy. As Chris points out, the Illinois cell is semi-cool, they've had a little more moisture to work with. The frost warning might be for up nort dere, Steve. Overnight Superior low forecast for 38.

A bit out of the area, but figured a new thread wouldn't be needed for this, but I thought a report from Denver would be nice..

Northeast Denver is getting absolutely hammered with torrential rains right now. Flash Flood Warnings are up for the immediate Metro area. Severe storms with 1 inch hail southeast of town are also causing problems; but the main concern is flash flooding as Denver continues to be pounded. Several inches of rain has fallen with more coming down as we speak. Major mess unfolding...

Originally posted by Jeremy Lemanski
doesn't look good for severe weather over lower mich, another bust in the making :cry:

I agree... Everything except instability is in place across our area... :(

So, our very strong winds aloft and good forcing along the front don't really have much to work with. If the instability to the west (where the line initiated earlier) was much stronger, then the line would have packed more of a "punch", as I expected (but obviously didn't happen). The line would have most likely stayed active well into the night...

Who knows though, the cold front still remains to the west...

there are a few storms tryin to get going on the front in northern lk mich, but it doesn't look good.

You know, the last event we had instability and no dynamics and this event we have dynamics and no instability . :x

Tornado Bloomington Indiana

I'm at work until 9pm but tornado siren went off here at 7:40pm. We have to go to the basement of our building when that happens, so wasn't able to check until I got back up here about 10 min ago. NWS issued tornado warning at 7:22 and 7:37 for Monroe County Indiana. Haven't seen anything confirmed yet, but supposedly it was to have been in Ellettsville, In at about 7:30 and Bloomington IN at 7:48.

All the emergency vehicles (police, fire, rescue) all hauled butt out of here at about 8:10pm heading north of bloomington.

I'll let you know what I find out!

Back