6/7/08 NOW: SD,NE,KS,MN,IA,MO,WI,IL,MI,IN

Nobody has mentioned the cyclic supercell that has tracked from LaSalle County, IL and now is entering southern Cook, IL. At one point there was a large and extremely dangerous tornado according to spotters.

Not much developing here otherwise, but I think outflows might make things interesting for Chicago tonight.

today...IA

So far today, the main show has been along the boundary, but I'd still be keeping an eye out for development further S, perhaps 30 miles NW of Des Moines... There's been a persistent SFC moisture convergence bulls-eye in that area, and satellite trends over the last 30 minutes have been indicating some locallized enhancement of the CU. Low-level directional shear has increased dramatically over the last two hours on an increasing LLJ. A small amount of CIN has remained in this area, with some increasing but weak assent indicated on the WV loop. If storms fire here, they will likely be discrete and tornadic. We'll know by 6:30 or so if initiation will happen in the south target - one or two more satellite updates will tell - bill

Andrew Pritchard on Spotternetwork has reported another large and extremely dangerous tornado on the ground near I55 in Will/Cook counties in IL. There appears to be a debris ball on the circulation. This is not good for the south side of Chicago as the storm appears to be strengthening!!

The storm moving into the southern Chicago suburbs is still showing strong rotation and law enforcement reported a large tornado 10 minutes ago. As of 6:27 CDT the tornado is close to Park Forest and is moving to the northeast at about 30mph.

Another storm with a good hook and decent rotation was located in Richland county Wisconsin. A possible tornado could be less than a mile southwest of Yuba, Wisconsin.

Edit: A funnel cloud was sighted near Yuba.

Last edited by a moderator:
5:37 pm 30 mi south of downtown Chicago

chiks3.jpg

Cook, IL Lake, IL storm is making in HP transition now as Fox News reports the tornado is wrapped in rain. It appears the circulation is weaker on radar in the last scan. Damage has not been all too bad, and no injuries or fatalities. A bullet may have been dodged.

With the amazing radar presentation, I would believe that this particular supercell would have had to have some amazing structure. Hope someone photographed it.

Last edited:
NWS report via spotter network, houses destroyed SE of Richton Park (E of governors HWY) , I-57 shutdown both directions due to semis overturned via WMAQ chicago.

Hope damage/injury is not widespread.

Eddie

EDIT: Andrew reports to have seen 3 separate apparently violent tornadoes before lossing the storm near I-80; he will post video later tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd throw New Mexico into today's thread.... mainly because the radar is showing an 83 dbz return on a storm near Tatum. One top is off the scale on the Weather Tap site. Looks like a larger area than just a hail spike. Anyone else see this? Maybe the calibration on the WXT site is off?

W.

(In Amarillo).

Cook, IL Lake, IL storm is making in HP transition now as Fox News reports the tornado is wrapped in rain. It appears the circulation is weaker on radar in the last scan. Damage has not been all too bad, and no injuries or fatalities. A bullet may have been dodged.

Looking at the LOT LSRs, I doubt a bullet was dodged; damage reports are starting to come in, and one uses the language "houses destroyed" and "homes were flattened." The hook signature travelled right over a relatively densely populated area and spotters confirmed a tornado on the ground. It didn't go through downtown Chi town, but the burbs of Chicago are a bad place to have a large tornado go through.

Acknowleged, I was listening to Fox and they reported more of a skipping action. But I understand that much of the tornado was a multivortex occasional wedge up to a half-mile wide. Still if nobody is dead or badly injured, then that is great news.

Back