6/28/06 NOW: MI / IN / OH

Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States of Americ
Don't know why MI wasn't added to the original FCST thread, as that's where the main threat seems to be. With that said SPC just posted a blue box, with a short (but decent) line of convection developing along the weak frontal boundary. I'd hesitate to call it a squall line at this point, since it isn't very long, but it does seem to be growing. It'll definitely be interesting to watch.

Looks like the Barry Co storm is the one to watch for now - AE indicating 2+" MEHS with plenty of high reflectivity aloft. It appears to have gone through a split when it moved into the county.

However spotters still getting nothing more than 3/4"

I just had hail about pea sized, little larger, for about a 50 seconds. No real wind to speak of, 30mph max. decent amount of CG lightning. This should be the theme for the day, small hail with gusty winds, Big rapids had a gust to 53mph about half hour ago.

BTW, i put this in here because it really wasn't a chase, i watched from my window.

The energy for those Michigan storms began pretty much over my head this morning at 5 AM. There was a pretty good outflow boundary from yesterdays convection in Western IL, that allowed today's storms to start early. It's pretty much over on this side of the lake now. It was sure cool to see a large discrete storm surrounded by completely clear air this morning. I was hoping for another show this afternoon. Mesoanalysis still shows 500-1000 J/kg of CAPE and little or no CINH.

That wasn't an outflow boundary which kicked off our storms but some sort of a front clearly visible in msl maps. And still some good looking (well, severe but hopefully not next year if we get the new hail criteria ;> ) storms in southern WI moving towards IL.

The small intense bow echo has been enhanced by a lake breeze front, causing it to re-intensify. It passed over me a few minutes ago with about 45-50 mph wind gusts, pea and marble sized hail, frequent vivid CG's and a very torrential downpour. It's now diving SE into Chicago. I would not be surprised to hear about a few funnel clouds due to the increased shear where the gust front and the lake breeze intersect. Pretty decent storm. If it hailed any longer, there would have been some accumulation.

EDIT: New storms firing off the lake breeze front, this little complex could last a while. Anything that stays dscrete could be interesting.

The small intense bow echo has been enhanced by a lake breeze front, causing it to re-intensify. It passed over me a few minutes ago with about 45-50 mph wind gusts, pea and marble sized hail, frequent vivid CG's and a very torrential downpour. It's now diving SE into Chicago. I would not be surprised to hear about a few funnel clouds due to the increased shear where the gust front and the lake breeze intersect. Pretty decent storm. If it hailed any longer, there would have been some accumulation.

EDIT: New storms firing off the lake breeze front, this little complex could last a while. Anything that stays dscrete could be interesting.
[/b]

this storm completely caught me off guard i was umpiring a little league game in the southern subs of chi town and one second the moon is out and its calm and the 1 out 2 out 3 out i turn around and a massive gust front is bearing down on us it was like the sky was constantly taking pictures like a strobe light effect.........after the storm passed we got 1/10 of rain and maybe 30-35 mph winds if that, but what was interesting was the INTENSE CG show after the line, the rain stopped almost immediately the moon was visible but to the east and southeast CG after CG after CG for at least 25 mins, anyone have any radar grabs for i was not able to see anything considering i was at the little league game, if you can help out i would be very greatful.....thanks!

dan neal

Back