6/11/04 NOW: MN/IA and KS/MO/OK/TX

Kevin Scharfenberg

Rapid development of supercells ongoing in northern IA...major tornado threat now developing in N IA/ S MN.

A few severe storms may also develop down the dryline from SW IA into west TX.

Please do not cut and paste entire NWS bulletins without commentary. It's a waste of bandwidth and we all know where to find the bulletins on our own.

Discuss today's developments here:

ALERT!

GOING OUT TO CHASE NOW, STORM RAPIDLY DEVELOPING TO MY WEST ALONG HIGHWAY 20 WEST OF GRUNDY COUNTY!! :D

Originally posted by Kevin Scharfenberg
Please do not cut and paste entire NWS bulletins without commentary. It's a waste of bandwidth and we all know where to find the bulletins on our own. :

Kevin is correct. Please post only links to NWS text products rather than the text itself. Remember that most chasers are well aware of the location of watches, warnings, discussions, and HWOs. If you feel some text is particularly important, unusual, or unexpected, post it along with your own analysis or prognosis of the situation.

Target Area guidelines are here:

http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1039

Thanks

The original supercell appears to be riding near the lifting warm front, and a 1/4 mile wide tornado was reported by NWS Des Moines near Ruthven in Palo Alto County, Iowa.

So far 57 tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports as of 1200 am CDT

Iowa: 49 tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports

Boone County: 4 tornadoes: 845 pm, 846 pm, 848 pm, 901 pm
Buena Vista County: 3 tornadoes: 220 pm, 226 pm, 233 pm
Calhoun County: 1 tornado: 635 pm
Clay County: 14 tornadoes: 223 pm, 224 pm, 228 pm, 228 pm, 245 pm, 246 pm, 301 pm, 304 pm, 308 pm, 308 pm, 310 pm, 313 pm, 313 pm, 335 pm
Emmet County: 3 tornadoes:350 pm, 354 pm, 402 pm
Howard Count: 4 tornadoes: 526 pm, 540 pm, 554 pm, 604 pm
Palo Pinto County: 5 tornadoes: 300 pm, 305pm, 321pm, 324pm, 328pm
Webster County: 15 tornadoes: 635 pm, 636 pm, 637 pm. 637 pm, 639 pm, 642 pm, 720 pm, 722pm, 725 pm, 730 pm, 733 pm, 738 pm, 741 pm, 744 pm, 749 pm

MInnesota: 8 tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports
Fairbault County: 1 tornado: 448 pm
Fillmore County: 2 tornado: 632 pm. 653 pm
Freeborn County: 1 tornadoL 536 pm
Lyon County: 1 tornado: 259 pm
Mower County: 3 tornadoes: 604 pm, 604 pm, 643 pm

Unrelated to this event
0940 PM TORNADO 19 SSE COLORADO CITY 32.15N 100.73W
06/11/2004 MITCHELL TX LAW ENFORCEMENT
*** 3 INJ *** VEHICLES BLOWN 100 YARDS OFF OF HWY 208.
POWER POLES/LINES DOWN. AT LEAST 3 PERSONS TRANSPORTED TO
AREA HOPSITALS WITH UNKNOWN INJURIES.

Mike

Well, the latest MD from SPC indicates supercell potential is increasing just northwest of here....I am monitoring and may head out in a bit after seeing the latest vis sat.

Peeps - where is the report thread for today??

you will not belive the tornado that My Chase pal coulght today - better that the 29th May Attica hose - and that was just the first tornado. Expect some good Vid and images from this storm.

Tornadic supercells now developing in TOR watch for IL/WI. They are approaching the advancing lake breeze cold front now at a Dekalb to Kankakee line. Lake breeze-aided rotation helped the storms on 4/20/04 I believe. Could be some trouble... Tornado Warnings currently in S WI. There looks to be convection developing south of the arc of supercells advancing NE along the warm front. Eagles are flying toward Rockford.

Update: Thunderstorms are now firing and filling in to the south of existing supercells on the lake breeze fornt and moving NE. Looks like a MAJOR locally heavy rain threat developing on Chicago's south side as that storm is intensifying and not really going anywhere. Intensifying storms headed my way, not too strong now, but that could change. Not in the WW, but pretty close, so I am watching the situation. I see backsheared anvils to my WNW.

Originally posted by David Draun
Tornadic supercells now developing in TOR watch for IL/WI. They are approaching the advancing lake breeze cold front now at a Dekalb to Kankakee line. Lake breeze-aided rotation helped the storms on 4/20/04 I believe. Could be some trouble... Tornado Warnings currently in S WI. There looks to be convection developing south of the arc of supercells advancing NE along the warm front. Eagles are flying toward Rockford.

Update: Thunderstorms are now firing and filling in to the south of existing supercells on the lake breeze fornt and moving NE. Looks like a MAJOR locally heavy rain threat developing on Chicago's south side as that storm is intensifying and not really going anywhere. Intensifying storms headed my way, not too strong now, but that could change. Not in the WW, but pretty close, so I am watching the situation. I see backsheared anvils to my WNW.

Storms arn't looking too good across the IL/WI region, probably since they are running into stable air...Looking at relative velocity products, only very weak rotation is noted in a cell or two, believe the biggest threat for tornadoes has passed...

Robert

Yes, I am seeing a decrease in the dbz on the radar picture with the exception of the westernmost cell which is backbuilding to its SW. The storms are losing their V-notch signatures as well. Lake Michigan is probably to blame for the increasing stability.

Chicago forecast discussion still mentions possibly a large MCS coming through later tonight with heavy rain and isolated wind damage. Maybe no tornadoes, but it could still be active overnight.

Originally posted by David Draun
Yes, I am seeing a decrease in the dbz on the radar picture with the exception of the westernmost cell which is backbuilding to its SW. The storms are losing their V-notch signatures as well. Lake Michigan is probably to blame for the increasing stability.

Yeah, too bad I'm on the other side of the lake, alot of times the lakes will disrupt the warm front from advancing into MI and the eastern shores of WI/IL. :evil:

Alot of convective systems weaken as they cross the cool water as well, but then again, quite a few do come across (May 31, 1998 Derecho).

Robert

Back