5/7/04 FCST: IA & other

Anybody else noticing a few returns on radar just west of Beatrice and to the southwest?? Probably be gone in the next few sweeps.

How's everything looking out there for you guys right now? I was thinking of making my first trip longer than 50 miles today. Im in Cedar Rapids, which is about 2 hours east of Des Moines. If it looks like it might be worth it, I'm willing.

-Ben

I was headed south until I saw the boundary begin to lift north now.

Front on the move now. 88 in sw IA with some due south winds gusting now south of the front. One more hour and our Columbus area tornadic sup should be creating it's first rain drops. Going to wait at home to verify this though...lol. 56 to 88 in about 70 miles..hmmm.

Originally posted by Ben Engle
you guysare supposed to be finding some cool stuff out there, so i can justify 60 bucks in gas to drive that way!!

That's your decision, not anyone else's. Are you a chaser? Is it May? If either answer was 'yes', then you shouldn't even be reading this now.

Originally posted by Shane Adams+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane Adams)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ben Engle
you guysare supposed to be finding some cool stuff out there, so i can justify 60 bucks in gas to drive that way!!

That's your decision, not anyone else's. Are you a chaser? Is it May? If either answer was 'yes', then you shouldn't even be reading this now.[/b]

It was a joke, get over it. Are you a chaser? Is it may? why are you reading this?

Due to the incredible price of gas, I am looking for a chase partner for Saturday!

I wonder if we need to expand this thread to include ND and even SK. Environment Canada is now forecasting storms as far north as Saskatoon.

...getting ready

Jared

Originally posted by Ben Engle
It was a joke, get over it. Are you a chaser? Is it may? why are you reading this?

I'm about 500 miles from the target and have no car. As opposed to being within an hour and having the option to leave whenever I want :wink:

BTW, you ever leave?

There's no doubt in my mind overnight convection is a good thing here....it's obvious the dryline/boundary/whatever today wasn't enough of a focal point for lift with the cap that was in lace........outflow boundaries floating around tomorrow that may collide with pre-existing boundaries could be the best hope you guys have for diurnal convection.

You all saw what it did for us down here the last week of April......

I found an abandoned rural corner of southeast Nebraska about 5:00 PM and parked the truck on an inclined ramp to somebody's field. I shut off the radios, laptop, the cell phone, and the truck, and sat on the hood watching small cumulus struggle against the cap as the warm front drifted northward. I always enjoy the turbulent diversity of clouds along a warm front; too bad this one couldn't produce anything.

Almost every feature of today's setup was out of phase today. The front stayed too far south to sneak out from beneath the very strong cap, and by staying south also avoided the best support aloft which remained in extreme northern Nebraska.

I met up with Doug Keisling and chowed at Cracker Barrel in southwest Omaha, where I am now. Eric Nguyen and Scott Currens are on their way here--I expect them within the hour. We'll try it again tomorrow. I don't know anything about tomorrow's setup except that the warm front is a player and it's still right around here. I hope it moves far enough tomorrow to avoid the problems we saw today.

Back