5/30/04 FCST OH and TN Valley

If anyone in the Norman area wants to chase tomorrow and needs a partner, I'm available. Dead tired and still no sleep since yesterday, but if there's anyone thinking about trying NE AR for a High Risk, I'm game.

Respond in PM please, thanks.

SPC has moved outlook farther south. I think I am going to target the perimeter of Saint Louis. Hopefully, find a wi-fi where I can hang out for a while. I will update when the 1200z models come out.

Indy is still in BIG TROUBLE, but the storms may hold off until after the race is over. However, very unstable air is present, and of course storms could pop with little warning. Indy is included in sigsvr hatchings with a MDT risk, but it looks like they will likely see some squall line action late in the evening. Main tornado threat is west of them.

Thunderstorms rapidly intensifying in NW suburbs of Chicago. I am hearing lots of cannonball thunder right now. Sorry for going OT, but that is just awesome.

Good Luck chasers, nobody get hurt out there, especially David Drummpnd and Mel Robinson!

What does everyone think about the very large MCS moving east into the risk area? If it holds together, could it stabilize the atmosphere behind it? According to the satellite imagery, it does take a while for skies to clear after the MCS passes.

Right now I'm trying to decide between two targets.

In northeast AR, the chase terrain is actually not too bad around JBR and
SRC. I'm concerned that area will see a solid squall line given the strong cap
and strong forcing. However, the surface winds are often more back than
progged in that area because of the terrain (being in the lee of the Ouachita
Plateau).

A second threat area appears to be eastern north Texas, SE of DAL and E
of ACT, along the trailing end of the front. Shear will still be more than
sufficient, even though the storm system will be leaving the area behind.
The instability, however, should be very large (SBCAPE 6000ish).

Will make a decision shortly and then I'm out the door.

High Risk expanded to included far southern suburbs of Chicago! :shock: The sun is breaking out now as the MCS approaches from the west. My area is now hatched for destructive winds at 35%, aslo 15% tor and 35% hail.

Due to gas prices and limited funds, I don't plan on heading as far west as IL. I WILL be headed out to somewhere SW of Fort Wayne, east of Indy shortly. Gonna live and die by the warm front today. Good luck to all!

I'm at the Effingham Pilot. IF anybody wants to convoy up please let me know.

Sun is in and out of the clouds, but low clouds seem to be burning off. Low level jet is going strong. Temp is 75.

Due to gas prices and limited funds, I don't plan on heading as far west as IL. I WILL be headed out to somewhere SW of Fort Wayne, east of Indy shortly. Gonna live and die by the warm front today. Good luck to all!

Unfortunately, I will be stuck here in MI during this event, with a similar situation to Ben, and some minor car troubles :x, given that, it will probably be one of the biggest events in the Midwest/Ohio Valley this year. (guess thats the way my luck goes)..

Good luck to everyone else who will be chasing...

I'm at the Effingham Pilot. IF anybody wants to convoy up please let me know.

Sun is in and out of the clouds, but low clouds seem to be burning off. Low level jet is going strong. Temp is 75.

The Springfield area WAS my target, close to where B Ozanne is currently located... So I guess thats my "virtual" target now!

Robert

It appears that the models are underestimating capes and li's. I think that I would choose the Terre Haute area as a target, as it looks like a good bet in my opinion. And from Terre haute, you can drive west into Illinois or East into Indiana.

I am also hearing that the high risk is going to be expanded to include much of Central Indiana. Here in Indiana, we are seeing quite a bit of sunshine right now!

Back