5/30/04 FCST OH and TN Valley

mrobinson

Looks like all of Saturdays action will move into the OH/TN Valley for Sunday. Starting this thread as requested..

Melissa

I just did a marathon drive from Connecticut to Columbus, OH last night to put my self in position. Looking at the new SPC outlook I will probably head to southern Indiana today. I'll narrow it down tonight and tomorrow. Details to come.

Chasing KS/OK today, then marathoning to IN/KY/WV for tomorrow. Not the best chase territoriy this is heading for. Looks like it will be a squall line event late in eastern KY/WV, but it's home, so I've got to be there.

I agree, we'll likely see a high risk tomorrow over KY/IN/OH. Looks like a huge day.

We'll see what unfolds over the course of the day. Hey, I was in Dayton 2 weeks ago, why not do it again?! I'll look at everything before bed tonight, and make a decision from there. If I do decide to play, Dayton to Richmond area looks like my initial target.

I think generally I am already in a pretty darn place for tomorrow. I am in Winchester, Indiana, which is a county north of Richmond and 1 county North of Interstate 70 along the Indiana/Ohio Border. I would pick an area from Bloomington Northeast to Dayton as my area for best threat of tornadoes.

I'm heading to Terre Haute tonight. I'm hoping things go up in Indiana, I'd rather chase there then down in KY.

FYI- I would try to avoid the Indianapolis area on Sunday. Some car race going on there, it's pretty big. I'm glad these storms are looking to stay south of that area.

Yes The Indianapolis 500 is going on Sunday, and in my opinion Indianapolis is right in the target area for severe storms and tornadoes. If one of these storms does hit Indianapolis, it would be devastating, as there are over a half million people at the speedway and it would take over 30 minutes to evacuate everyone. The National Weather Service out of Indianapolis is very worried.

Watch for as far west as St. Louis line south through Arkansas being Burst point for convection On latest Theta-E ridge model. High risk could include this area as well between 1800 & 2100

I have made my choice, I WILL be heading out tomorrow to the Indianapolis area, or around there. I just hope I can find some good WIFI areas since I my cellular card went dead and I no longer have the service.

Just got new tires on the car and am ready to go...I will probably be leaving here (Detroit) around 9AM...And should reach Indianapolis area by 1PM or so...That is if everything holds (as far as the severe weather threat).

Robert

I'm committed. I'm in Terre Haute loving the free high-speed internet and TWC at the Hampton Inn. (although I wish I was staying at a Holiday Inn Express...I'd feel a lot smarter).

I like the warm as it moves across IN tomorrow during the day, but I also like the unstable air behind the warm front. I'm still debating which area to follow.

What may be more intersting is how they are going to handle The Indy 500. Looks like a potential disaster situation, then again it could be over by the time things get going.

I'm going to head towards Indy and north to northwest possibly from there in the afternoon trying to follow warm front as it pushes north. I'm not a meteorologist other then what I've self learned over the years but based my target area from ETA 7 pm(0z) maps so hope it pans out (but will probably be a bust due to lack real time chase data on the road (no open librarys on Sun.):
Cape (7pm) aprx 2000 (although central Ill is 3000), LI from -4 to -6, LCl between 1000-500m, SRH-300, 850 temp 15-17C aprx, 700 temp 5-10C,
EHI aprx 4, 0-6 wind shear @ 40, LFC aprox 1100m, aprx. winds-40 @ 850(sw), 50 @ 500(sw), 40 @ 700 (sw), 20 from s @ sfc. SPC seems to be saying that tornado threat will follow front as it pushes north into central to northern Indiana:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

Good luck to all mid west chasers - stay & drive safe !

Jon Miller - WTØRNA
Celina, Ohio

I'm still happy with my base. I'm 3 hours from St. Louis, Peoria, Chicago, Louisville, and Ohio. Lots of options for the morning.

Back