5/21/04 NOW: Upper midwest - Great Lakes - High Plains

I'm starting not to like this. The outflow in Wisconsin is causing thunderstorms and isolated supercells ahead of the big storms. Could this be the begining of a tornado outbreak toward Chicago tonight? :shock: Right now, large dark clouds over my area, thunder rumbling, wind gusting. A temperature drop would be nice right now. :lol: Tornadoes are cool, but not in MY neighborhood.

***SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR DEKALB/KANE********

I am officially spooked. :shock:

OK, maybe I over react a bit, but the doppler is freaking me out!!! There are SVR warnings to the NW IL border. All hell is breaking loose. I think I'm gonna stand outside and watch for mesos/wall clouds. There's gotta be a few around. At least the temp has come down now. Probably doesn't matter now with all this shear coming together.

I am nowcasting for Craig Maire today and he has reported seeing 4 tornadoes, at least 1 gustnado and some large hail in Iowa. It sounded like his best catch came near Grundy Center. That's about all I have to add attm, so I'll let Craig give the exact details later. An incredible day though to say the least. From what I could gather, numerous chasers were out and about in that area today. Hopefully most of them were able to see some tubes. Now let us hope those reported injuries are not life threatening and that the damage can be kept to a minimum.

The Derecho moved through NE ohio several hours ago. Wind gusts to near 100mph were reported over the area. We got winds of near 60mph along with a very ominous looking shelf cloud with a green core to it. There was no hail though. May tommorow bring another derecho :D

Originally posted by Chris Hayes
The Derecho moved through NE ohio several hours ago. Wind gusts to near 100mph were reported over the area. We got winds of near 60mph along with a very ominous looking shelf cloud with a green core to it. There was no hail though. May tommorow bring another derecho :D

Seen the same nasty green clouds here near Detroit as well. Winds rapidly shifted from the east to the west, gusting to 70mph at my location, along with flooding rains.

Tomorrow looks good as well, if not better...00Z ETA forecast CAPES of >2500j/kg for parts of the Great Lakes, with an excellent wind field as far as speed is concerned...And then yet another good setup Sunday, with a 990mb low tracking through the upper lakes with CAPES yet again reaching the mid 2000's/close to 3K...

Robert

The DVN radar was apparently knocked offline by a lightning strike. The latest image (early this evening) shows a storm nearing the site.

A very impressive, summerlike train of bows and LEWPS continues north of the boundary from lake Michigan to NE. Flash flooding is going to be a major concern tonight. There has to be one hell of a light show going on across northern IA right now.

*A little off topic...
I can't remember this deep of moisture this far north for so early in the season. Dewpoints in the mid 70's in May? With the extreme lack of rich deep moisture all through March, April, and early May this is pretty incredible!!! :D

Originally posted by Joel Wright
The DVN radar was apparently knocked offline by a lightning strike. The latest image (early this evening) shows a storm nearing the site.

A very impressive, summerlike train of bows and LEWPS continues north of the boundary from lake Michigan to NE. Flash flooding is going to be a major concern tonight. There has to be one hell of a light show going on across northern IA right now.

*A little off topic...
I can't remember this deep of moisture this far north for so early in the season. Dewpoints in the mid 70's in May? With the extreme lack of rich deep moisture all through March, April, and early May this is pretty incredible!!! :D

Thanks jerk... Ya'll are stealing those mid-70 Tds from the southern plains, where it has been a quiet spring thus far... ;)

Back