5/05/06 NOW: NM/TX

Cell merger taking place near Roby, Tx. Wouldn't be surprised to see that cell intensify - go tornadic as it right turns.

Just speaking to my Mom in Sagerton. She could see one about halfway down to the north. She said it was big. Area of rotation very near them.

Just got off the phone with Matt Jacobs and he reported a tornado on the ground in E. Gaines county, TX. The tornado wasn't fully condensed but had ground circulation for about a minute.

I really like the tornadic supercell that is moving into Martin Co at the moment... It has been showing strong low-level velocity couplets for nearly an hour and is ingesting decent low-level helicity just south of the frontal boundary (with strongly backed surface flow in the inflow environment). SPC mesoanalysis shows strong sbCAPE just south of the front (1500-2000 j/kg) albeit relatively high LCLs (> 1400 m AGL) owed to the high dewpoint depressions south of the frontal zone (with strong divergent flow aloft). Nice storm!

AT 746 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO
SOUTHWEST OF PATRICIA. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED 5 MILES SOUTHWEST
OF PATRICIA. IN ADDITION...SOFTBALL HAIL HAS BEEN REPORTED ON THE
INTERSECTION OF STATE ROAD 349 AND COUNTY ROAD D2651 IN MARTIN
COUNTY.[/b]

Yes, watching reports flow in the IEMChat room with numerous public / spotter and even NWS employee reports of a large tornado on the ground moving southeast. One report says it's a large stovepipe.

Martin Co storm: http://radioweather.us/kmaf.png

Yellow = 40, Red = 50, Purple = 60dbZ

New Cell juSt went Tornado warned moving out of Runnels county into Coleman county. Got nice hook on reflectivity out Of san angelo radar, and a reported tornado.

From San Angelo NWS
AT 818 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO 3 MILES NORTH OF TALPA NEAR THE RUNNELS AND COLEMAN...OR ABOUT 14 MILES EAST OF BALLINGER...MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH. BASEBALL SIZE HAIL IS ALSO LIKELY WITH THIS STORM.[/b]

It appears to be moving right towards Coleman as well.

I just got off the phone with Matt and he said sarcastically that there were about 300 chasers on the Martin county storm. He said that around the time of Samuels post he saw what he believed to be a gustnado and thinks that was probably the first report.

As for the large tornado report Matt said that it would have been entirely possible but he was in bad position and saw a possible appendage but it became rain wrapped before he could verify anything.

Tornado warned cell in Eastland Co. has a well defined hook on radar, moving just south of Eastland. Looks like the town of Gorman might be in the path of this storm. I was visiting my sister earlier just north of Waco and I could see a cell explode and anvil off to the NW. I do believe this is the beast.

I nowcasted Mark Humphries to the N. Martin County cell, he reported a "red elephant trunk" on the ground for a few minutes.

Im working nowcasting credit for May 13th-25th!!

Tornado warned cell in Eastland Co. has a well defined hook on radar, moving just south of Eastland. Looks like the town of Gorman might be in the path of this storm. I was visiting my sister earlier just north of Waco and I could see a cell explode and anvil off to the NW. I do believe this is the beast.
[/b]

Tornado Just reported with the cell Chris was refering to.

This from Fort Worth NWS

AT 855 PM CDT...STORM SPOTTERS AND DOPPLER RADAR OBSERVED A TORNADO
9 MILES SOUTH OF EASTLAND...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH. AT 848 PM...A BRIEF
TORNADO TOUCHDOWN 7 MILES WEST OF CARBON.[/b]

Back