4/9/09 FCST: TX / OK / KS / AR / MO

Well, this one is sort of creeping up on me. The 12z NAM is forecasting a relatively decent chance of chaseable storms across parts of the southern Plains Thursday afternoon. As a shortwave trough swings into the area overnight Wednesday into Thursday, both the GFS and NAM forecast the trough to cut-off through at least the mid-levels (e.g. 500 mb). The orientation of the upper-level jet looks nice, with northeastern OK and adjacent portions of KS, AR, and MO located in the left-exit region, which will result in a strengthing (per NAM) or quasi-steady-state (in a system-relative standpoint per GFS) low pressure system that moves eastward from the panhandles to northeastern OK by evening Thursday. Associated with the trough and mid-level low is very cold temperatures; 500 mb temps of -18 to -22 C are forecast to move atop the warm sector by afternoon.

Closer to the sfc, the NAM is a bit more aggressive in returning more substantial moisture to the area NE through SE of the sfc low, indicating sfc Tds >60 F possible east of the dryline by afternoon; the GFS primarily is forecasting mid-upper 50s Tds N of I40, with >60F Tds S of I40. The warm front associated with the sfc low looks like it'll be located (and moving slowly Nward with time) along the KS/OK border into southern MO. The GFS is forecasting more in the way of QPF during the day compared to the NAM, which, I assume, is why the GFS 2 m Ts are lower compared to the NAM (thereby impacting CAPE forecasts). Even so, both models are indicating >1500 j/kg E of the dryline Thursday afternoon.

This upcoming system is presenting a couple of target area opportunities. First, there's the usual warm-sector play E of the dryline. If we can get upper-50 Tds up here, the cold mid-level temps should result in workable instability. Another target would be ENE of the sfc low along the warm front, where one would have the benefit of backed sfc winds and a good baroclinic boundary. Surface moisture may not be quite as good (given advection is occuring from the south), but mid-level temps are likely to be cooler. The NAM is currently forecasting the best deep-layer shear along the dryline S of I40, as weaker mid-level flow resides in NE Oklahoma.

Of course, I think the biggest source of caution right now, for me at least, is the realized degree of moisture return. Current analyses indicate northerly winds of 30-40 mph across the western Gulf of Mexico behind the cold front that is current located from near a Tampa Bay, FL, to Yucatan peninsula line, and it will continue it's march southeastward into, at least, the northwestern Caribbean. In other words, the GoM is going to be completely scoured (heck, even part of the Caribbean will!).However, as Rich T points out this time of year, the temperature of the air behind the cold front is very important in determining the amount of airmass modification that occurs. In this case, the air behind this CF is actually rather cold With such cool air moving over the GoM, there should be more in the way of vertical moisture flux off the GoM owing to more a substantial difference between the sea surface the overlaying air. We are going to need everything we can get, I think, since current Tds along the upper Texas coast are in the 20s. Yes, the 20s, with temperatures in the upper 50s! *edit: Actually, Tds in deep south TX are even lower -- e.g. CRP currently has a Td of 19F. I remain quite skeptical of >58F Tds returning by Thursday, but there is a chance that we will see more rapid airmass modification than we saw ahead of previous systems this year for the reasons mentioned above.

Right now, I'm hoping this slows down a bit, since I'd rather be be targetting far eastern OK. Given the bias in the NAM/GFS to be a bit fast (after least they seem to be too fast more often than being too slow), I'm hoping we can back this up to the I35 corridor. The area along the OK/KS border immediately E/NE of the sfc low looks tasty to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW that took me by surprise. Talk about a 180 by the GFS. I've been watching this for a week now and everybody was sold on the idea that it wouldn't have adequate moisture to work with until Friday when it reached the gulf states. The GFS and NAM paint a pretty potent picture now compared to what it was showing before. Just read SPC's forecast and you'll see the same thing. I just said the exact same thing last night in my forecast post on my blog. I was sure there would be inadequate moisture over the plains for a severe threat, but today it is the exact opposite. I don't know that I'm buying 60 degree dewpoints all the way up to the KS border, but that is what the NAM is selling and the GFS isn't far behind with upper 50's in the same place.

I just noticed this so I'm going to forecast when I get home. This was a really nice surprise though.

I can already see the killer and it's veering 850mb winds. I HATE veering 850mb winds. I know there will be some good curvature in the hodograph over parts of Oklahoma because of this, but I still stand by the statement that I can't remember a single good tornado day with veering 850 winds. May 4, 2003 doesn't count because they were barely veering.

With good moisture in the upper 50's and low 60's ahead of the dryline CAPE would be AOA 1500J/kg in places and when combined with around 50kts of deep layer shear the environment should be quite favorable for supercells. Whether or not the environment will be supportive of tornadic supercells is a whole different question and one I'm not ready to ponder a guess on yet.

Anyway, thank the storm gods that we at least have something to be hopeful for. As soon as I get my forecasting done I'll post it on my blog if you're interested.

Had noticed it looking a bit better on the GFS runs, but the latest NAM (78hr currently) has an even better looking setup -- particularly where veering 850s (or lack there of) is concerned. (especially as you get off the dry line a bit -- though, I do see the veering concern, just not as pronounced as it was)

Looks like a decent shot for sups as well more near the low along what looks to be a sharp warmfront in southern Kansas. . . nice bit of moisture being pulled up there.

Based on this run -- pretty hot looking stuff and definitely the best day in the plains thus far in 09. Be interesting to see if that CAPE really materializes.

A real quick look suggests that mixing depth should be up to about 850 mb based on this morning's soundings across S TX, and open Gulf SSTs around 23-34 C. The model forecasts of 55-60 F dewpoints looks reasonable to me, with the location of the surface low a big concern compared to the bad chase terrain Thursday evening. I'd lean toward the KS/OK border target based on what little I've looked at so far.

Rich T.

I have been watching this day since Sat or Sun. I was hoping the NAM this morning that finally picked this day up on the 84 hour would look better than the GFS. The NAM slows down things just a tad compared to the GFS placing the dryline approx. btwn. I-35 and Tulsa at 00z. Low 60 or right at 60 td' are forecasted for the warm sector along the dryline which roughly runs from just north of Ponca City to just east of I35 down to say the Dallas area or just east. This increases CAPE to around 2,000-2,500 on the models. I agree with the two options of the WF along the KS/OK border and basically anywhere just east of the dryline in eastern OK into eastern TX. Strong surface low of 993mb forecasted to be in NE OK by 00z. I haven't done any forecast soundings for the area, but I am sure they will look fairly decent with what I have seen on the NAM.

Just as a small side note this mornings run of the GFS has slightly slowed things down now and agrees more with the NAM. Last nights GFS run had the dryline/cold front in western AR where this morning it has it in extreme eastern OK. Like Jeff mentioned I hope they become more in agreement and even push things back to I35 or slightly west from there. Quality of moisture looks like it may be an issue but you have to be encouraged with the NAM spitting out low 60 tds's. Also moisture depth of only 8-10 degrees at 850mb is sort of marginal. It will have to be a quick recovery process for the td's as northerly winds are currently present all the way into southern TX and into the gulf with only 20 degree dews in this location. This definitely is worth keeping an eye on as Thursday approaches.

Looking at that sounding...
ML LCL below 800m, 1km SRH >300, 1km SR winds >30kts and CAPE around 2000J/kg is a wicked combination.
I just glanced at it, but one thing that bothers me with that sounding is the cap and the weak 5km SR winds. Everything else looks great.

Quick thoughts from the 12z to 00z runs. GFS continues to push things further west, even if only little by little. I too would like to see that trend continue. NAM shows the trough less cut-off than this morning with more of a negative-tilt, and stronger 850 winds in SE Kansas. That beefs up the SRH values east of the surface low. Both the GFS and NAM are still showing adequate CAPE along the dryline.

My preliminary target would be somewhere between Bartlesville, OK and Independence, KS if the NAM comes anywhere close to verifying. Of course, these differences in the model runs are so little that a change in one small detail can mutate everything for better or worse. I'll definitely go out for this if the dewpoints can reach the upper 50's in SE Kansas. We'll see, I guess.

Tonights run of the NAM looks very nice. I did the same forecast sounding you did Brendon with pretty much the same feelings. The convective temperature for Tulsa is pretty high (80 degrees). Also, the 850mb are more veered than ideal and their isn't much directional turning between the 850mb and 500mb layers. I would still like to see things backup even just 70 miles or so. SRH, CAPE, EHI and lift are very impressive on that sonding however. Still have to wait and see I guess. I just hope the CAP don't screw things with such a really nice setup to work with.

As Brandon mentioned, I also noticed that the GFS is slowly pushing things back to the west which is good. It is nice to see the GFS coming into more agreement with the NAM in regards to the western extent of the dryline.

GFS and NAM are coming into agreement on the modeling of this system. Right now, it appears the best dynamics are north of Tulsa, along the Kansas border near the SFC low, where dewpoint depressions aren't as awful as they are in the hotter portions of the area downstream. The dryline progs aren't as far off as before; unfortunately it's a concern with geography, but if something comes into being around Tulsa and trucks it northeast across SE KS there's plenty of room for a view.

The shear is decent, and the system is holding to a bit of nice consistency between the GFS and NAM over the past day (save that terrible CINH the GFS is progging vs. the NAM) so this one is officially on the table for me. I don't normally want to post forecasts this far out where we have only models to inform us of the future, but the aforementioned consistency is bringing me outta the hole early.

I'll echo that Darrin, they are extremely close to matching each other (NAM and GFS). The last couple runs have basically all been the same except for some small details (12 and 00Z of both today).
What is absolutely crazy to me is that I was watching the GFS all last week for posting my long range forecast and it didn't have any moisture return with this system. SPC said the same thing in yesterday's 4-8 day outlook. The specifically said moisture return wouldn't be adequate for a severe threat on Thursday over the plains.
I really don't remember the GFS ever doing that big of a 180 that quickly. I don't remember exactly what it was showing on moisture return three or four days ago, but I know it was bad enough that I was virtually certain that there wouldn't be anything to chase except for a potential severe outbreak over the southeastern US this Sunday-Monday. It's crazy how quickly things have changed.

I haven't done my forecasting for today, but the dryline in southeast Oklahoma looks really good ahead of the dryline. NAM breaks out precip and forecast soundings also show the cap eroding between 18Z-00Z. Here is the sounding for some tiny little town in that area
http://beta.wxcaster.com/cgi-bin/parse_skewt_trace_all.cgi?model=NAM&STATIONID=KMLC

That sounding looks pretty damn nice for tornadic supercells. Take a look for yourself. There are two things that don't look great that I noticed quickly glancing over the sounding (I'm late for a meeting) and that is 5km SR winds <10kts and ML LCL over 1000m. With veering 850 winds throughout the moisture advection period leading up to this event, I question the depth of the moisture. Like I said I have done virtually no forecasting today though so nobody make an ass out of me lol.

I have to do my forecasting, but if 850 winds aren't veering badly, which they look a little better with the 12Z runs, then I will target Southeast Oklahoma for sure.

I am burried at work, but I'm going to try to squeeze in my forecasting over the next two hours.

I don't know why it's so quiet. I think the NAM paints a pretty good picture for Thursday. My only big concern is what 850mb winds are doing in the 20z-02Z time frame. Other than that I think the setup look good over parts of Oklahoma.
I'm just going to copy and paste my forecast from my blog...

Tornadoes are appearing more likely across portions of eastern Oklahoma and possibly up to the Kansas Oklahoma border on Thursday. The area most likely to see tornadoes will be the southeastern quadrant of Oklahoma along and either side of the McAlister to Hugo corridor (just depends on where the dryline sets up).

The GFS an NAM are in very good agreement on a lot of things, but differ drastically on the 850mb winds, which I think will be critical to the degree of tornado threat storms pose on Thursday. There is also a fair amount of difference on the location of the dryline, which slightly complicates picking a target, but those things will work themselves out with time.

I am totally focused in on the southeast quadrant of Oklahoma. Moisture is a slight issue, as usual this early in the season. Both models have 60 60 degree dewpoints making it to northern Oklahoma by 00Z, with the NAM being slightly more agressive with moisture advection. The dryline should mix quickly to the east during the afternoon setting up a sharp moisture gradient and storms should fire all the way from the surface low down to the Red River. Again there is excellent agreement among the models on this.

Ahead of the dryline CAPE AOA 1500J/kg (good model consensus on instability) and deep layer shear >45kts will be favorable for supercells. Deep layer shear does seem to drop off as you go north towards the surface low later in the day so storms may struggle up there a bit. You always have a respectable chance of tornadoes near the surface low and right underneath the mid level low.

The NAM has 850mb winds veering early in the day and backing by 00Z to southerly. The GFS on the other hand has 850 winds backed at 18Z and then veers them badly by 00Z, which is the exact opposite. Veering 850mb winds have been a consistent problem in previous runs so this is probably my biggest concern right now and I think it may have a major impact on the tornado potential over the southeast quadrant of Oklahoma.
Another matter of disagreement among the two models is on the exact location of the dryline, which as I mentioned earlier isn't a big deal. You select a vertical target and shift horizontally as needed.
As far as tornado potential goes I think there is the possibility of strong tornadoes over a portion of southeast to south central Oklahoma IF (that's a big IF if you missed it) 850mb winds don't veer. The McAlister sounding is very impressive and would certainly be favorable for tornadic storms. Some key numbers from the McAlister sounding at 00Z are 0-1km SRH of 377, 1km SR winds at 30kts, CAPE >2000J/kg, 3km EHI oat 7.3 and a nicely curved and sufficiently long hodograph.
Here is the link to the sounding http://beta.wxcaster.com/cgi-bin/parse_skewt_trace_all.cgi?model=NAM&STATIONID=KMLC

A couple other things that are drawing me to the southern target is that LCL's should be lower with better moisture, down there. I like the McAlister area (I want to get on a storm that develops along the dryline and tracks through the McAlister area) because the GFS starts to back surface winds more in this area and points farther north, while the NAM has backed surface winds across all of eastern Oklahoma. Both models have hinted at a break in convection between I40 and the far southeastern portion of Oklahoma, so I'm hoping that a discrete storm will develop in this area with no storms within 40 miles or so to its south.
Depending on where the dryline is I want to target about 30 miles ahead of the dryline in the Ada to Atoka Oklahoma area. This could move east or west as I mentioned before depending on the position of the dryline. I may scoot a bit farther north too. Final tweaks to the target will have to be made based on where the convergence and CU field is forming because I think the key is to get a discrete storm (at least nothing to its south for a ways) in this area. If you can get a discrete supercell coming off the dryline in this area I think there is a very good chance it will be tornadic, with the potential for a couple strong tornadoes over a small area.

I have to agree that the 12z NAM looks pretty good for Thursday. I just don't believe that the moisture will be good enough by then. Right now, the best dewpoints in the Gulf, that I could find, was in the mid-40s. Pretty pathetic.

The current SREF run has Eastern OK up to SE KS in mid 50 Tds. Also, it has the the best supercell composite and sig tor parameter in the Ozarks. Yuck!

It still something to watch but I don't have high hopes for it. :(
I'm hoping the nice helicity values come back on the 18z run of the NAM. If that does happen, I feel that the KS/OK border has the best potential, or wherever the warm front is.

I would be worried about the moisture if I was targetting the KS-OK border area, because I do think the models are overdoing dewpoints a few degrees, but they are all pretty much in line which gives me confidence that it's somewhat accurate. That is part of the reason why I prefer the target down south of OKC. The moisture question mark should be less of an issue. I'm just scared to death of veering 850 winds though. If that happens Thursday afternoon you can forget everything I just said in my last post. If they do stay backed I think the dryline 40 or 50 miles south of I40 is a prime place for a supercell if one can develop and remain discrete.
If moisture advection brings mid to upper 50's up to the surface low then I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple weaker tornadoes, but I don't like it nearly as much as the dryline play. If it becomes apparent that 850mb winds are ging to veer I'll just stay up here and play the surface low warm front target near Wichita.
I'm real anxious to see how SPC handles this. I haven't had time since I'm at work to look at the other models, but I will when I get home and hopefully that will give me a better idea on what to expect with 850 flow.

Back