4/25/09 NOW: TX/OK/KS/MO/IL/MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Wetter

SN President
Staff member
Starting the NOW thread.

In MI:
There have been some ongoing storms in Michigan this early afternoon for hail and big winds. Latest warnings are for winds >70mph.

Looking to the OK/TX region:

Nice obvious boundary from around Alva, OK to Pampa, TX. Nice clearing and destabilization going on so it's a matter of waiting now. Watching the antcam at http://antcam.f5chaser.com looks like most chasers are headed into the same area of Wheeler, TX to Shamrock, TX to Elk City, OK.

Currently driving into Amarillo and watching cu towers bubble up on the triple point about 20 miles east of the city and wither as they get choked off by the capping inversion. Going to stop and grab a bite to eat on the east side of town and then continue east on I-40 to Shamrock. By the location of the upper air features, I'm guessing initiation will begin in about 2 hours or so.
Given the strong wording of the MCD, a PDS watch will most likely be issued for the eastern TX Panhandle/northwestern OK/far south central KS within the hour.

Looking at AMA radar with nice looking boundary which finally stopped racing south just north of Canyon and is now slowly retreating NNWwards. Front is extending NEwards from just east of AMA through Wheeler towards Cherokee, etc.

I guess Shamrock is still the best place to be for now and yes, I do believe PDS will take place soon.

Good luck to all out there today, spotter/chaser network really looks hilarious with "mass traffic" on I40 going west.

New echo Gray county TX PHNDL

Radar has a new echo on the boundry NW of Shamrock.

The CF now moving back north as WF per AMA radar.

Tornado watch should be out shortly.:D

Convective initiation! Convective initiation!....

Storm indicated southeast of Pampa, TX, due west of Wheeler, TX. Initial motion NNE @ 31 mph towards Miami, TX.

Unfortunately that storm has already moved north of the front and is plowing into low 50 Tds.

The front needs to book back north fast if any storms initiating on the triple point have any chance of surviving...

Best airmass for sustaining a supercell at this point is in far SW OK.

Unfortunately that storm has already moved north of the front and is plowing into low 50 Tds.

The front needs to book back north fast if any storms initiating on the triple point have any chance of surviving...

Best airmass for sustaining a supercell at this point is in far SW OK.

The back-sheared anvil on the SW side of it doesn't look too bad....

Nice storm NW of Enid, and moving into a much better environment than the TX panhandle. It has yet to move away from the front, but the Tdd is much smaller inv. of this storm.

The cell SW of Wellington, KS was really getting organized a few minutes ago, with a 65+ DBZ core. Looks like it might be weakening on the last scan, however.

John
VE4 JTH

The storm near Lawrence KS still showing a hook and a TVS on it. Have not seen any spotter reports yet....

Edit. Report of a person struck by lightning near Clinton Dam around 2259Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracked the Lawrence supercell for the past 3 hours with my brother, saw some amazing wall clouds and rapid rotation but can't confirm any tornadoes. We dropped off it north of the city about 5 minutes before it dropped the reported tornado.

South of Lawrence now looking at a new supercell and wall cloud. Stream @ chasethestorms.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back