4/22/04 NOW: Oklahoma/Western AR/Far North TX

What a gorgeous line of storms! Today I really wish I was out there... (sigh)

The 3 storms at the north end of the line are all showing nice hooks, and down south tail end charlie is spinning like crazy. Could turn out to be a very big day, with multiple tornadic storms to choose from.

Well the NWS has finally issued a tornado warning for that cell in Montague County and boy does it look sweet! This thing could really put down something big in the next couple of minutes the way it looks.

This cell looks like it will go right between Gainesville and Pilot Point on its current path trend.

Concerning the Montague County Texas storm....this supercell has really been getting its act together in short order. The latest radar scan shows a deep core of high reflectivity with plenty of that aloft, including 50dbz pushing 40, 000 feet. More importantly, the storm has a good deal of tilt and is exhibiting VIL's into the lower 70s as it continues working eastward into a even more favorable environment characterized by MLCAPE values upwards of 2000 J/KG. Concering tornado potential...this storm definitely has tornado potential on radar, with 40 kts of gate to gate shear noted in the latest scan. It will be interesting to see if it can produce in the airmass that has somewhat high LCL's, at least initially. Expect the storm may begin to cycle some now, as well....

OK, so that cell in Montague County has really just backbuilded all the way back into Clay County and has lost the nice hook and couplet it was demonstrating on radar about 20 mins ago. This thing is pretty elongated now.

Tornado Intercept Muskogee OK

F5 Tornado Safaris is tracking a wedge tornado near Muskogee OK. I just lost cell coverage with the team.

The initial storm in north TX has, as mentioned, lost its previously supercellular characteristics as the main updraft moved off the dryline. The storms have quickly backbuilt as they continue to work their way through an environment conducive to severe weather, even if the initial supercell is gone. This is quickly pointed out by the latest radar trends which continue to show massive a massive reflectivity core aloft with 65dbz approaching the 36,0000 ft level--quite impressive, as are the VIL's that are pushing the mid and at times upper 70s. Thus the storms appear capable of extremely large hail during the short term.

As I mentioned previously, the LCL's in the storms initial environment appeared to be somewhat high, which is probably what kept it from becoming a real tornado producer (although there was one unconfirmed report of a tornado according to FWD). As of this writing, the storm continues to exhibit at least mid level rotation owing to the 50kts of 0 to 6 km shear the storms are working through, so one would expect the severe threat in the form of hail/winds/and now flooding to continue, although isolated/brief tornadoes would seem to still be possible to some degree, depending on how cold individual RFD's are in the storms.

none of these radar images will be any good within minutes after you post them.. PLEASE archive the image on your computer and post the link to where you saved it (ie photobucket etc)

Thank you

Talking to friends in SW MO, and showed me video of inflow bound clouds, really cool looking, and the hook is now east of Joplin area.

PS. reply to robinson...:: Nah, its ok, thank you anyway.

Back