4/2/04: NOW: TX

Numerous SVRs are ion effect and a TOR was issued not too long ago for the deep convection initiating in TX...

Discuss:

I think the biggest issue in Texas is going to be flooding. Although there is some lightning going on and marginally severe hail too so I may go out here in a little just to see some of that. Looks like the best I am going to see for another week at least!

If you look right now at MAF radar you will see an outflow boundary heading west out of the mess to the east. It already sparked some storms but they are under that cloud canopy from the stuff down south. I wonder if it will spark anything when it gets a little further west into the sunshine (looking at sat). I am betting YES!

My folks at Lake Cisco in Eastland county have had about 2.5". It fell quickly and washed out part of the graded lake road (a rare occurrence).

In the city of Cisco, there was widespread street flooding and one goober (according to scanner traffic) decided it would be fun to plow through high water in his truck. I guess he was driving a POS, and the force of the water dislodged his GAS TANK.

Idiot is lucky he didn't blow himself up. That would have been a first!

MP

17 severe thunderstorm / tornado warnings issued since 10am ... non-verified ... mmm... sounds a hell of alot like MI and OH! :?

:lol:

Originally posted by Morgan Palmer
My folks at Lake Cisco in Eastland county have had about 2.5\". It fell quickly and washed out part of the graded lake road (a rare occurrence).

In the city of Cisco, there was widespread street flooding and one goober (according to scanner traffic) decided it would be fun to plow through high water in his truck. I guess he was driving a POS, and the force of the water dislodged his GAS TANK.

Idiot is lucky he didn't blow himself up. That would have been a first!

MP

I'm sorry but THAT is funny! :sign5: He got what he deserved!

Originally posted by nickgrillo
17 severe thunderstorm / tornado warnings issued since 10am ... non-verified ... mmm... sounds a hell of alot like MI and OH! :?

:lol:
Verification is this part of Texas is quite difficult, mainy because of the relatively low population density, and especially on non-hyped days. Remember, the fact that there haven't been any reports doesn't mean there hasn't been any severe weather... There could very well have been 1.5" that fell along a 5 mile path that just happened to cross fields.... OR people did experience severe weather (high winds, etc) but didn't report it. If there are only 10 people in a 5 square mile area, this isn't too unbelievable.

Jeff

VERY impressive supercell, hard right mover, west of McAllen in the Rio Grande Valley. Wonder if there's a "supertwister warning" on it. :)

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
VERY impressive supercell, hard right mover, west of McAllen in the Rio Grande Valley. Wonder if there's a \"supertwister warning\" on it. :)

Tim

Wow, that is a VERY nice supercell... moving due south with a nice hook too. Nice intense core aloft..... Would be nice if there weren't aliasing issues now on the lowest SRM scan for that cell though... There's a VIL max of 73 now on the south almost due west of the Brownsville radar...

Jeff

P.S. -- as of this writing, it is beginning to decrease in intensity a little... but still very nice...

This is one of those situations where these supercells seem out of place in an environment such as what deep south TX currently has... While CAPE is ~2000 j/kg, there is VERY little shear to speak off. Winds are quite weak, particularly in the low-levels. However (and this is very important), the storm is diving so far right of the mean flow that low-level SR-inflow to this thing is large despite the relatively weak environmental winds. So, while sr helicity seems almost nill (per SPC Mesoanalysis), and since SR helicity is a function that is STRONGLY dependant upon storm motion, the helicity being 'realized' by this storm is likely considerably larger than what models/analysis shows... Granted, I suppose someone could quite throw up a RUC sounding into Bufkit, change the storm motion for this given supercell, and find out the SR helicity for this thing... but that's too much work for me right now ;)

Jeff

Back