4/08/11 FCST: MO/KS/OK/TX

The significant western CONUS longwave trough that is forecast to drop into the Pac NW tomorrow and Thursday should continue digging into S CA on Friday, setting the stage for a possible day-before-the-day opportunity somewhere in the southern Plains. Important timing differences still exist between the medium-range models, but I figure we're only three days away and the ceiling of potential is high enough to warrant a thread.

Tonight's 05/00z GFS offers the most progressive -- and perhaps most appealing -- scenario, with the 500 mb low centered roughly over Death Valley by Friday evening. While this idea is generally supported by the GFS's own ensembles, the operational runs of the GGEM and ECMWF dig the trough a bit more to the SW, with the upper-level low centered along the S CA coastline at the same time. Even despite the more westward evolution of the trough on the foreign models, they still indicate nice lee cyclogenesis over CO and resultant backing of low-level winds.

By 09/00z, the GFS depicts a warm front extending east from the surface low across N KS and N MO, with a dryline intersecting it somewhere near I-135 and draped down across W OK and NW TX. To the east, SSE surface winds and widespread surface dew points of 65-68 F exist, resulting in >2000 J/kg SBCAPE. Both low-level and deep-layer shear are somewhat modest, but adequate for the threat of supercells and possibly tornadoes across portions of OK/KS should other ingredients fall into place. SBCINH is shown to erode immediately ahead of the dryline, but is still formidable over much of the open warm sector.

While Friday currently looks like the best chase opportunity so far this season on the GFS, I have two main concerns. First, the slower and more positively-tilted ECMWF/GGEM solution could lead to more capping issues, as well as weaker flow throughout the low- and mid-levels, should it verify. It does seem like so far this year, there's been a tendency for west coast troughs to stall or even retrograde before weakening as they progress east, so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again to some extent. Second, if last weekend's system is any indication, low-level moisture is likely overdone on current progs. Replacing the mid-upper 60s surface dew points on the GFS with more reasonable values of, say, 61-64 F, LCL's become a somewhat-bigger concern (though not a dealbreaker by any means).

Will be anxious to see what the NAM has to say about this in the morning, since it seems to be performing significantly better than any of the global models this year even towards the end of its range.

Hello Brett
We've been looking at Friday's potential this side of the pond for a few days now - GFS has been pretty consistant on progging some dryline action for the last 48hrs but as you say has tended to be a little over-progressive. I don't think instability will be the biggest issue as the Gulf has tended to play it's part quite well these last few episodes in getting decent moisture return in, but the inhibition ahead of the dryline may be a problem.
As you say NAM will be revealing when the timeline enters the extremities of the model's range.

Good analysis, Brett.

I've been eyeing this setup for a few days now, and it has all the earmarks of a "day before the day" event. The combination of moderate to strong instability with moderate deep-layer shear would support supercells -- if surface-based storms can initiate. Should moisture return as planned, this shouldn't be a problem: the lift associated with the entering upper-level wave plus the dryline circulation should be enough to overcome the lid. Storm mode should be supercellular, given the lack of strong large-scale forcing and a weak cap. That said, storms may eventually coalesce into short line segments as the low-level jet strengthens during the evening.

All in all, I would say this is one to watch. Since the upstream trough hasn't been well-sampled, it is possible that a more favorable interaction of the subtropical and polar jets could occur, which would lead to stronger pressure falls followed by stronger moisture advection and stronger shear than is currently forecast. If this evolution does occur, a localized tornado outbreak would not be out of the question.

I certainly understand the question about wether or not we can get quality deep moisture return in here by Fri aft, the recent CF's deep penetration into the gulf, but at the same time, I do believe it will happen. With a strong southerly flow beinning as previously posted by around, 12z today, and the quick development of lee cyclogenisis over the eastern rockies, the 60's DP's brought into OK by 0z Fri, by both models I've looked at GFS/NAM, seems very doable. On Fri we only need the best moisture to make it into OK, instead of all the way to the central plains. The Upper Trough coming in this weekend looks really nice! I think the strongest Difluent Flow Aloft is going to occur on saturday afternoon in the central/southern plains, but some nice energy seems likely to make it into the southern plains by showtime on friday as well. IMO, this is the best looking trough we have seen so far this early spring in the plains. Instability looks just fine with cape values as high as the upper 2000's in S/SW OK and N/NE OK/S/SE KS. The cap appears breakable with cin only around -30/-40 max in SE KS, OK and NW TX. It's finally looking like a good looking severe wx day in which a MASSIVE CAP will NOT be a major storm killer for OK DL storms to initiate. To me the biggest question this far out is more which model is correct in it's placement of the whole event, and I can't tell if the DL is retreating during the afternoon hours, or if the appearant westward progression on both models is just deeper moisture advection? NAM seems more like a south of I-40 from EC OK down into S OK/N TX event. GFS looks like a broader area from NE OK/SE KS to the West and South covering a decent chunk of WC/SW OK/NW TX along the Dryline. GFS also does a pretty good job of breaking out some precip by 18z in NW TX, then quickly spreading into SW/WC OK no later than 0z. I think this is going to be the first good Dryline day this season somewhere along and west of I-35 particularly in OK, if there is enough low level forcing along the DL for storms to go up.

Attachments

• gfsUS_0_cinh_72.jpg
    gfsUS_0_cinh_72.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 62
  • gfsUS_500_spd_72.jpg
    gfsUS_500_spd_72.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 49
  • wrfUS_500_spd_72.jpg
    wrfUS_500_spd_72.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
  • gfsUS_0_cape_72.jpg
    gfsUS_0_cape_72.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 53
  • wrfUS_0_cape_72.jpg
    wrfUS_0_cape_72.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to see this dryline setup play out. The NAM and GFS are still showing some precip along the Red River at 00Z Sat. The moisture return looks good as well. Just don't know if there will be enough lift to get things going. From my rookie knowledge on these dryline setups, it looks as though the good area of lift we need from the mid level wave will be too far West at that time, although it just might be enough:) Feel free to add/correct...

Hey Scott, I was just looking over NAM/GFS this morning as well, and also like the Red River area in S OK/N TX. I agree the greatest upper forcing may still be a little bit west at show time, but I think the models are doing a pretty good job on this one, with a lot of consistancy between the two right now...give or take 30 miles or so. The main reason I think right now that storms will fire along the DL is the huge gaping whole in the max cin being put out by NAM, and while GFS isn't as agressive through the same area, its still only plotting cin in the -30 range, plenty weak enough for something to bust through the cap by 0z for sure, if not earlier, as the cap in N TX from Wichita Falls to around I-20 is already neglegable by 18z. LI's are pretty decent at around -7, and with both models plotting CAPE around 3000 j/kg, Instability looks sufficient to get the boundry layer starting to cook in the 18-0z time frame. 0-3km shear looks nice, though it seems to be lacking in the lowest 1km until you go east of I-35 in SE OK. Even there the hodo's are relatively flat, (GFS is slightly more appealing with at least some small curvatures through the Red River Valley), so I don't know how good our odds are of getting any tornadoes, maybe a brief one or two. I do think we will be treated to at least a nicely structured supercell or two before they track off into the crappy chase terrain east of I-35.

Attachments

• NAM_221_2011040706_F42_CAPE_SURFACE.jpg
    NAM_221_2011040706_F42_CAPE_SURFACE.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 36
  • GFS_3_2011040706_F42_CIN_SURFACE.jpg
    GFS_3_2011040706_F42_CIN_SURFACE.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 36
  • GFS_3_2011040706_F42_CAPE_SURFACE.jpg
    GFS_3_2011040706_F42_CAPE_SURFACE.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 45
  • GFS_3_2011040706_F42_PCPIN_6_HR.jpg
    GFS_3_2011040706_F42_PCPIN_6_HR.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 38
  • NAM_221_2011040706_F42_CIN_SURFACE.jpg
    NAM_221_2011040706_F42_CIN_SURFACE.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 34
This mornings 12z GFS is not bad at all, for Central OK. Shear will be lacking as the main energy is still off in the SW but deep layer shear AOA 40-50 KNTS will be plenty. Winds at 850 are SWLY and pretty weak so helicity will probably not be the best because of this, but its defnitely a healthy "day before" set up.

Unsurprisingly, the slower model solutions from a few days ago appear to be winning out. This makes Friday's prospects somewhat more difficult than the GFS originally suggested. With the H5 low still centered offshore by 00z Sat, the subtle shortwave ejecting into the Plains looks to take a more northwesterly track than earlier runs showed. Given this, along with rising heights and a stationary to slowly-retreating dryline with unimpressive convergence, I'm not too confident in initiation. The model signal for daylight QPF over OK and N TX seems to be trending weaker with time, too, particularly on the NAM and SREF.

Nevertheless, an isolated supercell or two along the dryline remains quite possible by late afternoon and early evening. Most of the global models (GFS, ECMWF, UKMET) still indicate that convection will occur prior to 09/00z. Right now I'd favor the Red River Valley roughly from SPS to ADM, the chaseable portion of where the richest low-level moisture and highest theta-e should reside. Any supercell that does develop in this environment could be rather photogenic, given the moderate to high instability and good directional shear, and should also be relatively slow-moving for early April. Tornado potential during the pre-dusk hours, while non-zero, will clearly be limited by anemic low-level shear and marginal LCL heights due to the well-mixed boundary layer. Should be worth a shot for chasers based around OKC and DFW, but I must admit, this is not likely to be a case where "the day before the day" upstages "the day!"

Im only giving initiation along the dryline about 10-20% chance of happening, but since we are based out of Ardmore, and all the best ingredients seem to be in place from a general area of Ardmore to Pauls Valley to Wichita Falls, we will certainly set up somewhere in that zone and hope that the subtle wave will be enough to kick something off the dryline in the S/SW OK region. I agree the retreating dryline will be quite problematic for storm initiation, and the best helicities are in E OK. However with a 50kt H5 flow, as well as deeper moisture in the Red River Valley, and NAM continuing to show little cin along the dryline from I-40 to N TX, all we need is ONE updraft to get going. If that happens, at the very least there is going to be one intense nasty looking supercell...Tornado Potential likely to be pretty low 2% at best...Sexy as Hell Supercell Storm Structure 80%...if 1 initiates...IMO ;) I'll be very interested to see what the Hi-Res models do with this in the morning...

A thought from my blog about chasing this tomorrow and this weekend:
Tomorrow we have a threat of supercells in Oklahoma along the dryline in the late afternoon as a piece of energy swinging around the trough may make it into the region that might create enough lift to ignite supercells in Oklahoma. What also may help is a dryline that maybe bulging in areas to give that enhanced lift to get these storms going. The latest 00Z NAM indicates a CIN Hole along the northern part of the dryline in Oklahoma. CAPE values look to be close to 3000 JkG in this area as well. That is enough CAPE to get a strong supercell going.. Tornado potential maybe limited due to higher LCL heights. If we can get a storm to become surfaced based, I would not rule out a quick spin up of a tornado due to "Ok" low level shear. Otherwise, Storms tomorrow evening, given with the parameters, could be quite photogenic during sunset.

Weatherstorm Weather Blog

Just my quick 2 cents. Looking at 00z NAM forecast soundings tomorrow evening, Enid is uncapped at 00z with an LCL near 1100m and an LFC near 1200m. The 00z Stillwater sounding is uncapped with an LCL near 1000 and the LFC near 1100. That's not bad. Hopefuly the models aren't overestimating moisture depth/quality, otherwise we can throw those numbers, and the setup, out the door. The hodographs increase in size substantially from 21z-03z. Obviously by 03z the LFC has gone up considerably. It looks like it could be real close as to whether or not tomorrow pans out.

From the early morning models, looks like a kink in the dryline may set itself up in far NW Texas, around Matador or so. As the general rule would be to set up just slightly to the north and east of this feature, perhaps a zone along U.S. 287 from Childress, TX to Vernon, TX is indicated.

I was liking the N TX/ S OK target myself until looking as the Hi-Res Models this morning. Granted the DL Bulge feature is still present in the N TX Area, however there is also another in NW OK, which by 21z is virtually uncapped. The Hi-Res WRF is breaking out a few storms by 20z in Blaine and Logan counties which take on the shape of elongated Supercells...where as nothing pops along the dryline in NW TX/S OK all the way through the daylight hours. That said, it doesnt mean it wont happen in that area, but it certainly is looking more favorable to the north. I really hate to leave home and chase the more NW target, cause then something will fire down here, but I've gotta go with the best probabilities. Both RUC/NAM also break out precip just W/NW of the OKC Metro by 21z as well, so I think Blaine County, OK is the general Target for today as of now.

Attachments

• rfm10c22.jpg
    rfm10c22.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 30
  • CATVVQ22.jpg
    CATVVQ22.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 29
  • capwnd22.jpg
    capwnd22.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 36
  • CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_LSI_21HR.jpg
    CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_LSI_21HR.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 33
Yeah the HRRR and WRF are really consistant on this one, definately around an Enid to Kingfisher line looks really sweet for a couple nasty Supercells. Im getting my things together now and will be headed up there in a couple hours and set up shop around Hennessey to Enid. SPC has also wiggeled there Slight Risk over to the Enid area.

Attachments

• cref_sfc_f13.jpg
    cref_sfc_f13.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 36
  • cref_sfc_f11.jpg
    cref_sfc_f11.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
  • cref_sfc_f12.jpg
    cref_sfc_f12.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 37
NW to NC Oklahoma is looking interesting today. Latest HRRR breaks out a nasty cell towards Woodward. Maybe some play on the warm front this evening along the state borders of KS/OK.

Back