3/27-3/29 Blizzard

Okay, now I am wearing a little egg on my face tonight. I was complaining here in Miami, TX that we were not getting our fair share of snow with this storm, and now guess what! We are now getting hammered by very heavy snow, and have been for the past several hours. Currently we are experiencing whiteout conditions, and the road in front of my house now appears to be drifted shut. Now it finally does look more like a true blizzard! I think we may now have on the order of about 8 inches, and apparently much more to come!

Okay, so much for my complaining!!!! Oops!

Good precip breaking out in west-central and southwestern OK!

Looks like central will get some snow afterall!

Now to bring on the heavy bands! woooo!

Last edited by a moderator:
After all that wrap around and 11" total, were finally finished with this winter storm here in Amarillo. We really needed this moisture and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Now, let's get another low to barrel in here with some severe weather instead of the frozen kind. The only kind of blizzard I want now is the one from Dairy Queen!

Man I really hate when I'm right.

OUN's "big snow" lasted a short while, barely covered everything, and is now gone at 6:45am. Went to bed with a forecast of 4-6", waking up to a forecast of less than an inch....a typical Norman event. Same thing happened this time last year, except the forecast storm track changed a mere 150 miles overnight and Denton, TX got our foot of snow while Norman didn't even get a flurry. This place just cannot experience significant snowfall anymore.

Like I said a few days ago, when it comes to snow in Norman, I'll believe it when I see it.

Same here in Tulsa Shane...lol.

I just had a gut feeling that we wouldn't get anything out of this when I saw the easterly wind last night. Thought to myself hmm....temps will warm instead of cool tonight & we'll get nothing but a cold rain.

So far, that is the case. Rain and 38 degrees!

We might get a dusting when we experience the backside of the storm, but I doubt it.

Sure needed the rain though so I'm not complaining...lol

Man I really hate when I'm right.

Yeah, me too cause now we'll never hear the end of it. You know everything. Seriously, it's a few days away from April, what did you expect? Oh by the way, where was your forecast leading up to this?
You know I'm kidding. If others don't, tough.
As an aside, I really don't consider this a big bust as the areas forecast to get hammered did...initially this part of the state wasn't forecast to get much at all and that's what happened..unless of course the snow gods show their pity sometime between now and noon. I would have liked to have seen a nice snow but you know what? Big deal. It's spring. I was fortunate enough to see a tornado Thursday and that excites me a hell of a lot more than 6" of snow would have. Nothing against you snowphiles out there either.

Rob

We had one on air met in Tulsa that got the timing right Friday morning. Wonder what he saw 24 hours ago that no one else jumped on?

I hate that you were right too, Shane! :D

Woke up to maybe 1/2 inch on the ground here in Warr Acres but what fell sure was pretty especially in the trees. The wind this morning is howling out of the north and is going to play hell with me smoking four chickens, a ham and a turkey today! :cool:

If I want to see snow guess I'll have to learn to get in the truck and drive out of Central Oklahoma...sure can't seem to snow around here anymore.

The amount of snow out west should help in a few weeks though when we again shift to more typical spring time weather.

Ouch. the entire wrap around low last night vanished right when coming into C. OK.

lol! well... so much for that. Here in edmond we got a trace on the car tops and trees, But that was from around 2-3am. I was awake then and the radar looked promising. Oh well.

Now we gotta listen to all the local station explain their cases tonight to the dumb public as to why we got a trace opposed to 6-10 inches as said.

Well the rain has began falling on the SW side of KC. The temp is at 32F and falling with freezing rain reported at the executive airport here in Olathe. It looks like the deck surface on the back of our house is icing up as well as most elevated surfaces. Winds howling out of the north at 25 MPH with gust to 35 MPH. A massive heavy precip shield moving NW and should affect my area within the next 1-2 hours with a changeover to snow by noon. The latest 12z NAM has the heaviest band of snow located right over the KC metro area at 21z and sticking around after 0z. So KC may not be totally out of the woods, yet in fact it may get pretty dicey.

I wanna see snow total for Amarillo. Those wrap around bands just stuck idle over the top of there for literally like 10-12 hours straight I dunno what type of precip they were putting out, but would be interesting to see.

I just watched the local news and they shifted their

"-How to prepare for the winter storm in the OKC Metro"
to a
"-How to prepare your plants for freezing temperatures"

hahahahaha

Shane, next time maybe you should keep your mouth shut. :) I hate it when you are right. Here in Shawnee, OK. We have ONLY had rain. NO SNOW at all!

I don't mind rain, but when I am expecting snow, it is a let-down. Also, when I see rain, I want warm rain!

Currently it is 35F and climbing. I don't expect any snow at all out of this system.

EDIT: Maybe I shut keep MY mouth shut. It is now snowing in Shawnee. We are getting big flakes that are rapidly covering the grassy areas.

Back