3/27-3/29 Blizzard

The freezing rain is starting to transition to a freezing rain/sleet mix here in Gardner in southwest Johnson County. My driveway and street in front of my house are slick. Some of the elevated surfaces have about a 1/10" thick ice coating on it. Looks like this stuff will change over to snow pretty soon.

We just lost a massive chunk of a tree in our front yard. I will take some pics in a second and post a pic or two of the tree. The snow should transition here shortly. Very heavy snow falling, accumulating on roads very quickly. Intense band moving WNW into the KC metro area, could get nasty!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have seen freezing rain that was thicker on trees last night than this morning. The ice is just minimal at this point and other than a flake or two we have only seen little bits of sleet which is the only traces of white we have. We have barely added .5" of precip to our dry 6 months.

Wow now the system is just rubbing it in...

All area EAST of Central OK are now receiving heavy snow bands. We got totally screwed, thats now good snow to the west of us, north, and now to east where they were forecasted under a 'winter weather advisory' when we had a winter storm warning for the entire event! How unlucky are we? sheesh? I wanna see the visible satellite tomorow to see how the snow skipped around all of us here in Central OK. It'll be pretty amusing.

It looks like the system is slowing down and wrapping itself up and jotting more due east than northeast. This might leave places like Xtreme NE OK and extreme SW/W missouri and all of E Kansas with some very nice amounts.

Why does the system speed by us and then anchor down right after passing :(

Looks like the all-time 24 hr. state of Kansas snowfall record was just set in Comanche Co. KS. Drifts are reported to be upwards of 10 ft. and the county is buried. Snowfall amounts above 30" pretty common in/around Coldwater KS. Pretty serious situation down there with cattle and drifted over roads.

Light to moderate snow here in Overland Park at this time.. after everything possble fell in the last 4 hrs. except for hail.

Looks like wrap around snow band that has pivoted over Tulsa for the day is finally beginning to wind down as mid-level low begins to lift off to the northeast. We have around 6" in Tulsa and I wouldn't be surprised if some locals are closer to 8 inches.

Freezing rain has started here outside of Milwaukee, with MKX upping the storm totals to 12 inches in the far southeast. From the looks of it, Kansas got hammered.

here is a list of snow totals as posted by KAMR who go their data from the NWS with snow totals and drifts.

Amarillo 11 in 2 to 3 ft
SW Amarillo 14 in 3 to 4 ft
Hooker OK 24 in 5 to 7 ft
Turpin OK 18 in 10 ft
Slapout OK 16 in 8 ft
Lipscomb 15 in 4 ft
Booker 15 in 5 ft
Canadian 15 in 5 to 7 ft
Dalhart 14 in 8 to 14 ft
Guymon OK 14 in 5 to 6 ft
Texline 14 in 6 ft
Vega 13 in 5 to 6 ft
Beaver OK 13 in 6 to 10 ft
Pampa 12 in 4 ft
Perryton 12 in 6 to 8 ft
Wheeler 11 in 4 to 6 ft
Borger 10 in 4 ft
Boise City OK 10 in 5 to 6 ft
Stratford 9 in 8 to 12 ft
Canyon 9 in 2 to 3 ft
Allison 8 in 1 to 2 ft
Romero 7 in 2 to 3 ft
Claude 7 in 3 to 4 ft
Hereford 5 in 3 ft
Dumas 4 in 1 to 2 ft
Clarendon 4 in 1 to 2 ft
Wellington 4 in 2 to 3 ft

Yeah we had a nice blanket of snow in our yard, one drift against our neighbor's house was 4' high. Our lil pups went swimming in the back yard lol.

My Husband and I went out weather spotting and assisting with accidents, and I got some video, but haven't delved into that, but will try and post some pics/video. Nice to see precip in some form around here!

3/27/09; KS Blizzard

Wow, what a blizzard! I am suprised nobody has started a thread on this yet. I just finished shooting tons of pictures and video from my local area. I documented the blizzard on Friday from Pratt,KS and then from Hutchinson,KS early this morning. It wasn't a supercell thunderstorm, but I had a blast! (even getting stuck on day 2)

http://thestormreport.com/blog/2009/03/march-27th-2009-pratt-county-ks-blizzard/

http://thestormreport.com/blog/2009/03/march-28th-2009-reno-county-ks-blizzard/

Here are some pictures from Guymon area during and after the storm. Note that the one from during the storm was when the snow was light, visiblity was normally not that good. The other picture is from along Highway 136 this morning. North/South roads were fine, but when they turned it got bad fast. There were 3 and 4 foot drifts every few feet it seemed, with occasionally some 7-8 feet next to big buildings. I also saw an 8 foot snowman on the side of Guymon. It was impressive. The links are for 2 more pictures (trying to put too many on here), 1 from the hotel after the storm and another on 136.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

Picture 1

Picture 2

My Dad lives in Byers, KS. He estimated this morning that the snow was 3 feet deep in his driveway. I'll post some of the pictures he took as soon as he sends them to me.

Back