3/27-3/29 Blizzard

Here is my driveway, and an accident that involved 14 cars and 4 big rigs...

There was a field on the opposite side of the highway and the snow whited everything out, causing a car to stop right there, at which time, he was hit by a truck. Chain reaction brought on the rest of it.

I couldn't believe how many people were driving 60 MPH on that sheet of packed ice/snow!!

I just thought the snow plow was a cool pic to share!

Attachments

• 20090327205119(1).jpg
    20090327205119(1).jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20090327144553(2).jpg
    20090327144553(2).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20090327144650(1).jpg
    20090327144650(1).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20090327193940(2).jpg
    20090327193940(2).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 71
Forgot this one, another pic of the accident...

Attachments

• 20090327144944(1).jpg
    20090327144944(1).jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 76
I am getting more bullish on significant snow in the STL metro area tonight. A large area of precipitation - much of which is snow - has developed rapidly to the southwest of the metro area the past couple hours, and the RUC is showing decent QPF after the predicted changeover to snow around 6Z. Wouldn't be surprised if it is a little sooner than that, though, given the changeover to snow already in Rolla. I think the NWS forecast of 2-5" is about on the money, though locally more is possible if thundersnow develops.

Was out in the Tulsa area all day shooting video. The snow was so heavy at times if you stopped for 2-3 minutes to shoot you had to get the brush out on the windows and mirrors to see to pull out. I had a car cross the center of a 4 lane road and almost take me out head on. I swerved right into the oncoming lane and they passed on my right almost hitting the car behind me. Reported snow depths in the Tulsa area were 6-10 inches.

I think there might have had more but we were so warm it melted the first several inches as it fell. Freezing fog expected when the skies clear tonight. Heavy wet snow but I still had visibility at times to about 25 yards.

We ended up with 8.5-9" here in Midtown Tulsa when the snow finally stopped. It was melting all day as it fell. I bet we would have had better than a foot if it hadn't been so warm.

I know how you guys in the OKC area feel. The same thing is happening to northwest Illinois around the Quad Cities area right now. The last 3-4 days the majority of the models forecasted the band of heaviest snow would run right through here. Well, as it turns out the first deformation zone set up over eastern Iowa dumping heavy snow there. Now that that one is weakening, a new one is to form from central Illinois up into southeast Wisconsin. So the area that was expected to get the heaviest snow will literally be the only area that doesn't get the heavy snow.

I was able to catch one rumble of thunder during the snow,while in downtown Tulsa today "video"
Some year I'll get a chance to catch a bolt of lightning with snow..

Man what a storm. we received every form of precip except for hail today, and it didn't end well for our yard. We lost 6 trees and below is a video of some of the stuff I shot from around the neighborhood, all of the damaged trees you see in the video are from our yard. The only yard in the neighborhood with downed trees and six of em!! :eek:

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/3098debf1618e2c2be

Ended up with 3.5" of wet snow in Overland Park (sw side of KC)...may have actually had around 4" with the compaction factored in. Had some nice bursts of S+ for a while late this afternoon. No thundersnow here but there was some around the Metro from what I understand.

Back