2008 National Storm Chaser Convention

Another UK'er here, not travelling quite as far as Stuart as he is a bit further from the airport! Very much looking forward to meeting other chasers, so if you see an enthusiastic Brit with a big grin then please do say hullo.

Tim

Thursday Night

Hey Guy's:

I will be flying in from Louisiana on Thursday morning with my chase partner, Don Wheeler. We are also staying at the Raddisson. Was wondering if anybody would be around Thursday night for dinner and weather chat???

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I am coming in on Friday afternoon. However I will be staying until Monday morning. It was cheaper to stay an extra nite than fly late sunday nite...very strange.

Also staying Sunday night

Yeah, for flights from the DC area, the cost difference was well worth the extra night. Glad to see some folks will be sticking around, makes it a little more fun to keep the weather talk going.

This is an invitation to anyone who will be in Denver first thing Friday morning and is looking for something unusual to do:

I need to check the tuning of my car, as the oxygen sensor seems to be giving false data. I've arranged to put the car on a dynamometer at a racing shop near I-76 and Federal. We'll probably start around 8:30 or 9AM, and I'm guessing we'll play around with it until around lunchtime.

I've never seen a (chassis) dynamometer used before, and I'm sure it'll be pretty interesting and fun. If you think you might also like to see this, PM me and I'll give you more details.

Our group will be leaving around 6am Friday morning from Pittsburg, KS. We will be picking up another member of our crew in Wichita around 8am and leave Wichita to head to Denver. We will be meeting a couple other people when we get to Denver. We should be in Denver Friday evening. Looking forward to it and see everybody there!

Our team should be arriving Thursday afternoon. We're meeting up with some people, but our plans are not firm. If anyone wants to hang out with some Floridians, feel free to call me at 352-359-7374. You can PM me, but I might not read it 'til Thursday night or later. See you all there!

I'll be leaving home about 2:30 on Friday and will use a handy shortcut east of Denver to bypass most of the city, which will be predictably snarled being Friday rush hour. If the shortcut works as well as it usually does, I should be checking in at the Raddisson about 4:30-5ish and will possibly go out and grab a bite to eat before going to mingle and hobnob at the ice breaker.

Fwiw, if anyone is looking for an excellent place to eat close to the hotel during the Saturday lunch break or for breakfast/lunch Sunday, there is an absolutely amazing '50's eatery called Rosie's Diner about a mile north of the Raddisson on I-225 and just two blocks east on East Iliff. My dad and I stumbled across this shiny chrome joint while driving around looking for a place to eat during the 2007 convention, and we fortunately decided to give it a try and we fell in love with it. You walk through the doors, and suddenly it's no longer 2008 - you've gone back in time 50 years to 1958, and the menu, the atmosphere, the waitstaff on roller skates, and the customer service only further enhance the startling authenticity of the experience. And if you go there, you MUST have one of their handmade malts or milkshakes. I've had lots of malts/milkshakes in my time, and I've never had better than the one's they whip up at Rosie's. They are quite well renowned for them, and for very good reason. If you order nothing else off their menu, order a milkshake or malt. You'll be glad you did, trust me.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and even more so to making many new ones - see y'all Friday evening! :D

I attended the conference last year. It was GREAT! I will miss you all this year as our budget at work only allows for one conference and they want me to attend the SPC one March 6-8 in Norman.

Stewart will miss you M8 have not heard from you in a year. Will James be with you?

Have fun everyone and please take lots of pictures.

Hey everyone. I'll be around this evening and all day tomorrow so if anyone wants to see some of Denver and grab a bite or go out on the town and see some music or something, just let me know. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number.

Cameron

To anyone that is interested, one of the nights, maybe Friday or Saturday I will be going to the Hard Rock downtown. I have a special vip membership with them so we wont have to worry about lines and our food order will be placed first. Let me know if you are interested. A free Nacho appetizer is in it for those who want to go. :p
Just send me an email at [email protected] instead of a pm because I receive them on my phone.

Quick update

All:

I finally have a title to Josh and Sean's keynote talk:

"Marrying Science and Television: The DOW, TIV, TV collaboration 2005-2008"

See y'all this weekend!

Tim Samaras

We are on the road and streaming video...check us out! on Ustream.TV The chat client is a bit buggy.but I'll open up and give it a shot...

EDIT: siggy link fixed...if not....http://ustream.tv/channel/the-stormcam

UPDATE: We are here!!! Our data connection met MR. Murphy-having been on the road for 17 hours might have something to do with it. My chase partner says operator error was most of the problem:)

Last edited by a moderator:
See you guys all tomorrow night after a what is expected to be the ultimate 9 hour boring drive across I-70!

Looking forward to old friends and new faces.

Evan

PS Johnathon, tried to punch up the video in your signature below and got a 404.

Back