2005 #stormtalk guest chat discussion

Since the chat with Dr. Rasmussen went so well and since so many liked it, we will attempt to do more of these over the course of the year. I am in the process now of scheduling new guests. I have emails sent to a number of noted chasers, meteorologists and researchers, who are IMO anyway, experts in certain areas. Because I don't yet have replies from all of them, I will not post their names, that way they will not feel obligated to make an appearance. But as they reply and if they agree, I will add them to this thread, as well as the date/time/subject of each chat . Here is where we stand right now:

Dr. Josh Wurman
Thursday March 17 @ 8 PM CST
Subject: Subvortex, Doppler On Wheels, etc
For background see: http://www.cswr.org/
Chat completed.....log below

Dr. John Scala (former TWC severe wx expert)
Thursday March 31 @ 8 PM Central
Subject: warning leadtime, F-scale, building construction
Background: www.atmos.millersville.edu/metall/html/scala2003.htm

Tim Samaras
Thursday July 7 @ 8 PM Central
Subject: instrumented probes
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/emerging...timSamaras.html

Gene Moore (date and topic TBA)
www.chaseday.com

Tim Marshall (date and topic TBA)

Gary England (date and topic TBA)
www.newsok.com

The Twister Sisters (date and topic TBA)
www.twistersisters.com

I have also received replies from Chuck Doswell, Howie Bluestein, Jim Leonard and Paul Markowski. They have indicated they are too busy with various things attm to do a chat, however they may be able to do so later in the Summer or in the Fall. I'll provide an update on these 4 people when I get something.

Others pending. Please check back later for details.

Chat location:

For IRC users: irc.slashnet.org (room name #stormtalk)

Java users: www.slashnet.org/java.php (room #stormtalk)

The #stormtalk room will be used specifically for hosting guest chats. It will be strictly moderated so no foul language, foolishness or off topic discussion interferes with, disrupts or offends anyone.

A general chat (which may include off topic subjects or even crude language) will be ongoing in #stormchase. This is the nightly chat most of our group uses. Enter this one at your own risk.

If you have any questions about these chats, feel free to PM me.

-George

Moller
Samaras
Doswell

just for starters...so many good chasers out there to ask 8)

Any of those guys would be great too. I'll be there for Josh too.

Saw and listened to Al Moller at the TESSA conference. Even though his segment was a little rushed he did put on a good showing. I would like to see a chat with him as well.
Good going getting Josh. It will be a packed chatroom that night!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions Susan, Jeff and Bill. I am attempting to contact some other people. I'll see what I can do as far as the names mentioned, though I can't promise anything. But we'll see. Keep your fingers crossed.

We'll try to spread these out over the course of the year as much as possible so as to not bunch them up. But we may have to do a few a week or so apart to avoid the main part of chase season. Then we can do others later when the weather starts to wind down again.

-George

Wurman

Hi GeorgT :)

It's great idea to meet with Josh online! I missed Erik and I can't wait for Wurman.

Angel Dimitrov

Nice job, George in getting these people to visit the chat room.
Hopefully, the chat room will continue to grow and we gain more
chasers to the chat room each week, to discuss chasing, and
severe weather. Once again, great work George.

Mike

Greg,

That's the plan unless something changes between now and then. I may send him an email reminder this morning sometime however, just to make sure he he hasn't forgotten the date.

-George

Is anyone en expert in de-firewalling mIRC? I can't get into the room under the Monash firewall :-(. I'd really like to come to some of these chats if I can.

Melissa,

I belong to another message board where tons of computer geeks (I say that with tons of respect...hehe) hang out. I'll pose that question there and post back any results I get. If they don't know, I doubt anyone will.

-George

Back