2006 schedule of #stormtalk guest chats (updated Jan 30)

Due to the success of the guest chats we had in 2005, we have chosen to continue these for 2006. These are both fun and infomative. So far, we have some excellent guests booked and some more are pending. I will however go ahead and pass along the chat schedule as it exists and will add to it as the year goes. So check back for updates. Note that these dates and times are tentative and are subject to change.

Greg Stumpf = Monday January 23rd @ 9 PM EST/8 PM CST

Tim Marshall = Saturday February 4th @ 9 PM EST/8 PM CST

Dr. Greg Forbes = Monday February 27th @ 8 PM EST/7 PM CST

Jon Davies = Thursday March 9th @ 9PM EST/8 PM CST

Dr. Paul Markowski = Thursday March 30th @ 9 PM EST/8 PM CST

To join the chat, simply follow this address:

www.slashnet.org/java.php

Or if you have IRC the network is:

irc.slashnet.org

The room name for both java and IRC is #stormtalk.

We hope to see you there for each of these interesting and informative chat opportunities!

-George

AMS Publications by Paul Markowski

Mainly does modeling simulations of supercells and the RFD... I'd reccomend everyone check out:

Paul M. Markowski. 2002: Hook Echoes and Rear-Flank Downdrafts: A Review. Monthly Weather Review: Vol. 130, No. 4, pp. 852–876.

A decent summary of the literature concerning the title!

Aaron

Ack! Don't let Paul see that! He is not a modeler, for sure, though he has been dabbling in it more often lately. If you ask him though, I'm sure he counts himself firmly in the observationalists camp. Most of his best work is in that arena, particularly the low-level thermodynamic character of supercells and tornadic supercell low-level wind environment (in particular the idea of low-level storm relative helicity, concerned with how much, how variable and over what time and space scales, and what are the sources).

Sounds like a great lineup of guests.

Glen

Markowski has also done work on boundary layer meteorology and dual-doppler wind retrieval. I believe he has done some with OU's own Alan Shapiro.

I mentioned modeling since most of his personal page seems to be dedicated to modeling of various things... certainly he had his start in observations!

Aaron

Paul M. Markowski someday may released a textboolcalled:
A Survey of Mesoscale Meteorology by P. Markowski and Y. Richardson,

From his website:
The notes are an ongoing work-in-progress. Hopefully someday they will be part of a book entitled something like A Survey of Mesoscale Meteorology, once Dr. Richardson and I find the time to better round them out.

Mike

I second the Harold Brooks suggestion!

I would also like to see a tropical expert invited if at all possible.

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Lawrence

Pat

I second that suggestion. Jack Beven (NHC) is an ST member, so it may be worth checking into it...

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Pat Lawrence

Pat

I second that suggestion. Jack Beven (NHC) is an ST member, so it may be worth checking into it...[/b]

I third Jeff's suggestion, if Jack Beven would be available that would be great!

Pat

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see what I can do about contacting some of the other people mentioned in this thread and I am working on getting a tropical expert to come in around late Summer if everything works out.

Also, it appears Jon Davies will be coming in during late March or early April. I'll be sure to update the list up top with an exact date and time when he gets back to me, probably later today or tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the interest. I hope you all find these chats informative and enjoyable, as well as something else to look forward to while everyone waits for May. :D

Back