2/5/08-2/6/08 WINTER STORM NOW: KS,MO,IA,NE,IL,WI,MN,IN,MI,OH

We've had hard sleet since about 10am this morning. For a small while we had half-dollar snow flakes but right now we're back to sleet.

Like Robert said, we'll probably stay out of the dry slot since so much moisture has been pulled up from the Ohio Valley.

What's your reasoning for such a low amount?

Six inches is still a lot :>

GFS is going 8", dry slot already working into extreme SW Michigan, and again the NAM has had ZERO value in the winter around Michigan when it comes to QPF. Good on paths - bad on numbers. Well, worse than bad...

Had to say exactly how much we've received here just east of Janesville, WI due to strong blowing and drifting. I would estimate between 6" and 8". Drifting is very impressive with many drifts well over 4', including a 3'+ drift immediately in front of my garage, doh! Luckily the tractor was able to plow right through it and clear the way!

(Click on thumbs for larger images)

Last edited by a moderator:
9.4" with moderate snow still falling. Snow should begin winding down in the next few hours. I'm not looking forward to shoveling all of this snow.

Well just measured around 8-9 " here..It seems like the area is developing some gaps over N.IL here but we can still see a couple more inches.. Snow was very heavy in terms of weight earlier when I tried to clear the first wave of snow from last night..to add insult to injury now we have gusts over 30mph and another Arctic punch coming later in the weekend..

Heavy snow with 1/4 mile visibility just East of Lansing. Couple of pics taken at 3:00 PM EST.

Attachments

• tn_P1010048.jpg
    tn_P1010048.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 77
  • tn_P1010050.jpg
    tn_P1010050.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 75
9" here with 40 kt sustained winds, gusts to 52. I love it!!

jvl_metar020608.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
9.8" was what I measured at about 2pm, but I just remeasured a bit ago and it has dropped back to 9.2". Must be either settling a bit, or melting from underneath. Probably a combination of the two.

Spotter in Cedar Rapids reports 14.5". the biggest total I can find so far in my immediate area is from Lowden IA, where they report 15.5".

In the 6-7" range now, looks like this is moving out but I'm slightly concerned about the upper-level low as it treks overhead.

Still not getting a foot :>

Well, the final total for me is about 10". I measured 9.8" earlier this afternoon, but when the snow lightened up a bit it started settling a little. Even with light snow still falling. Snowfall amounts drop off very fast just to my south, and were much higher just to my north. Just across my county snowfall ranges from 7" in the far southern end, to over a foot in the north.

Highest total I could find in northern IL was Winslow up in Stephenson County where they measured 18". Several other locations in northwest IL back into eastern IA report 12-15". Maquoketa IA reports 14.5".

Overall I think the models handled this storm pretty well. Even the NAM once the storm was less than 36hrs away did pretty good.

With a current snowdepth of 13", spring seems a loooong way away! :(

Doesn't seem to be too deep here in Dekalb. I'll say MAYBE 5 inches here. Of course I haven't gone outside yet, it just doesn't look like much.

Back