2/20/2005 Winter Storm: Midwest

Originally posted by rdale
I had a hard time believing those numbers (fortunately I made my snowfall map before they came out so I didn't talk about them much on-air ;> ) but in reviewing the Level II imagery there were some impressive bands going on for a while up that way.

- Rob

Yeah, I was watching those bands all afternoon. It does appear that some areas remained within heavy snow bands for quite some time, and as the old bands drifted off, new bands formed. I wouldn't quite say 14 or 15 inches, more like a 10-12 inch snowfall. Given the low snow to liquid ratio and compaction - If 15 inch amounts were actually realized, liquid equivalents would have likely exceeded 1.50 inches :shock:

This was a very good overrunning situation though... I did some isentropic analysis with the ETA 212 data, and the low level jet (850-700mb) intersected the pressure surfaces at a right angle, which is perfect. Lift was very impressive (omega's off very high)... Also of interest to me, was this system had a very strong TROWAL between 700-500mb, right over the area of heaviest snow - While this alone isn't impressive, when combined with very intense vertical motion, weak stability, and high moisture, historically leads to significant snowfall events. Within that region, theta-e cross sections showed the atmosphere to be convectively unstable, which was obviously realized...

Even though I didn't wind up with a ton of snow (6 inches), it was very interesting watching the situation pan out...

Back