2/10/09 NOW: TX/OK/AR/MO/KS

Status
Not open for further replies.
NW Side OKC Damage

Tornado has went on NW side of OKC SE of Yukon- west of Edmond NE to I-35 a path of damage. Oka Tree Country Club area was hit. People trapped in area.

I will update later.

4 cells in a row. Man, havent seen anything like this in ages.

Looks like theyre training over the same boundary. Could be even more storms forming and continuing on similar paths with the same conditions. Sure hope everyones in their safe place.

yea wow. This is insanity to me. 3 warned, I bet the 4th storm SW of the southermost warned cell will be warned shortly and like someone said more building behind that. keep safe.

Gentlemen,

It appears that a SW to NE oriented, broken line of intense supercells is now on-going just west of OKC.

There is the real threat of "training" of storm cells (and the possibility of "one-two punches" of tornadoes) with this interesting system.

Hat's off anyone who went out today - Good luck, and be SAFE!

1). Cell still has MASSIVE hook (original cell C0, now crossed I-35 SW of Stillwater and W of Perkins).

2). Cell crossing already-hit (by C0) Edmonton with developing hook appendage.

3). Cell west of Mustang has large hook.

4). Another supercell with hook developing west of Pocasset.

I just ran an hour long velocity of the 1st/northern most storm and it had a very pronounced couplet the entire time. Didn't look like much of any occlusions. I bet there was/is a long track tornado with that storm.

Shear has really picked up from the Purcell profiler in the last 2 hours...now up to 70 knots of 0-6 kilometer shear. Upper support is probably beginning to arrive, and within the next hour or so I would expect the dryline to start advancing to the east and a large linear MCS to develop.

The most interesting storm, as of right now, is the storm up in Payne County, Oklahoma. As of 4:17pm CST the storm was about 2 miles WNW of Perkins, OK or about 9 miles SSW of Stillwater. The cell is not tornado warned right now, but it does have a hook feature and weak rotation.

Edit: Southern portion of this storm just went tornado warned. The possible tornado is about 3 miles southwest of Blackburn, OK as of 4:03pm CST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon,

The "supercell" line appears to show signs of evolution to a quasi-linear MCS.

The supercells storms should not be embedded HP's but the line still will pose a destructive wind threat well into the evening east of I-35.

I strongly would not recommend chasing this system at night.

Lightning detection doesn't seem to be too high with these storms...perhaps with the early season aspect. However, and evening lightning option may exist for those not wishing to continue to chase real close at night as Chris suggested.

The Tulsa NWS just broke in on NOAA WX Radio for a live update concerning the tornado warned storm in Pawnee Co. The met doing the broadcast made a point of mentioning the couplet (very strong on GR3) that is very near the town of Pawnee. This looks like the result of a merger between the Edmond storm and the storm that was just to it's southwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back