• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

1971 Febuary 21st Mississippi Delta Tornado outbreak

zander98al

This tornado outbreak isnt talked to much about, one of the few F5 tornadoes ever in the winter time, a couple of F4's were reoported to but a F5 in the winter time is extremely rare, its hard to come by on information. if anyone has any info about it please respond id like to study on this winter Tornado outbreak that produced violent tornadoes.

I'd read that temps got into the 80's across the area and that dewpoints got into the 70's.
but please if you have info or have found other info reply intresting tornado outbreak due to the severity of the events in the winter time.

One of the great blizzards in the history of the Central Plains and Central and Southern High Plains was caused by this same system.

Ah, yes. The great blizzard of '71. It was "only" 13" but the wind was fierce. In Wichita, either they didn't close schools or word didn't get out. But the school bus came through our neighborhood as usual. The bus got stopped by a snow drift down by the duck crossing and couldn't get through. As it turned out, our poor old bus driver suffered a heart attack and passed away. At any rate, the snow drifts were incredible - easily the most memorable snowstorm of my childhood.

This tornado outbreak isnt talked to much about, one of the few F5 tornadoes ever in the winter time, a couple of F4's were reoported to but a F5 in the winter time is extremely rare, its hard to come by on information. if anyone has any info about it please respond id like to study on this winter Tornado outbreak that produced violent tornadoes.

I'd read that temps got into the 80's across the area and that dewpoints got into the 70's.
but please if you have info or have found other info reply intresting tornado outbreak due to the severity of the events in the winter time.

Thanks guys for all the links, I appreciate it!

Back