1/6-10/05 FCST: Southern California

Brian Press

Wow,

All the models are forecasting some major, major, major rain here in So. Cal. I don't think we are going to get much for storms as the upper levels will be to warm. Maybe Friday afternoon behind the front but after that I don't think we are gona get any TS until Tueday.

None the less. They are thinking some of the snow might melt because of the warm temps and cause serious flooding.

We shall see.

RAINFALL PREDICITIONS THROUGH THE WEEKEND WILL BE EXTREMELY
IMPRESSIVE. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR UP TO 20 INCHES IN THE
MOUNTAINS BY MONDAY AND 4 TO 8 ALONG THE COAST AND IN THE VALLEYS.

hpc has all around very wett...with up to 100 inches of new snow i the sierras by wednesday. This has been one of the wettest years ive seen since ive lived here, which has been 9 years.

CAZ072-NVZ002-070100-
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
458 AM PST THU JAN 6 2005

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM FRIDAY TO 4 PM PST
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO NV HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE
WEEKEND WITH HEAVY SNOW AT TIMES. BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON...TOTAL
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 FEET ARE EXPECTED AT LAKE LEVEL...WITH 4
TO 7 FEET ABOVE 7000 FEET. WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH AT LAKE LEVEL AND
ABOVE 100 MPH OVER THE RIDGES WILL PRODUCE AREAS OF BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

WOW! :shock:

I could never even imagine 4-7 feet of snow with 100mph winds! I guess if I want snow bad enough, I could travel to the mountains. Is there actually any cities up that high, in the affected areas, or just the local mountain man, so to speak? Whenever I hear about heavy snow in the mountains, I instantly think of "The Shining".

The sierras will get a hard and cold blow. 7 feet is A LOT of snow, especially on top of the 100+ inches they recieved the last few weeks. I go snowboarding at mammoth mountain is the sierras...but i think im not going this weekend. 100 mph winds and 4-7 feet of snow would not exactly be optimal conditions.

Originally posted by Khristian Snyder
100 mph winds and 4-7 feet of snow would not exactly be optimal conditions.

Hey, you could just turn your back to the wind and use it as a lift up the hill :lol:

Then again, if it was strong enough to do that, you probably wouldn't be able to go downhill very fast, LOL

Anyway, I would LOVE to see that much snow with that much wind, I would just have to find a good sturdy hotel, and plan on staying awhile...

I spent last winter in South Lake Tahoe and yeah the snow can really come down at times. The biggest storm when I was there was about 45" at lake level and 6+ feet on the ski slopes. What's really cool is after a heavy snowstorm, when the avalanche control guys are setting off dynamite and hearing the explosions echoing around the lake.

The first wave is setting up nicely...with some good cyclone genesis offshore. The first rains will probobly reach So. Cal. In the morning.

Edited: for spelling

You guys can blame me for this nasty weather. My plane leaves for San Diego in about 4 hours with an ETA of 3:50 p.m. It always seems like anywhere I travel the weather is always horrible. I guess I could pass the blame on the AMS National Conference which is being held in San Diego next week too. Either way, rain or sunshine I cant wait to visit So. Cal. for the first time :D

Darin

Back