07/06/05 TALK: Tropical Depression Cindy (dissipated)

Cindy is recently been downgraded to tropical depression status as she is well inland across Washington Co. Alabama and she continues to move towards the NE. Some dry air looks to be getting wrapped in as Cindy has moved inland and that has diminished here convective bands a good bit. Flash Flooding is ongoing across some west Alabama counties (Greene/Sumter/Hale) and should continue as most of the heavy echos remain due north of the center of circulation. Looks like with this dry entrustion we could get some breaks and maybe a reissuance of another tornado watch.

The French Broad River valley in western NC is becoming the 'Florida' of consecutive major flooding events from tropical systems. The HPC has a day 1 QPF bullseye of nearly 8 inches over the region around Asheville. Flood *warnings* have already been issued and it hasn't started raining there yet. If this verifies, this will be their third major tropical cyclone-induced flood in 10 months.

Some radar grabs from storms in southeastern Virginia today:

Near Emporia, VA ~8:30PM EDT - WxWorx capture
cindysup4.jpg

Near South Hill, VA ~7PM EDT
cindysup2.jpg

cindysup1.jpg

I was not able to retrieve velocity scans for these as there was no velocity data looping capability from AKQ.

Bill Coyle was on these storms and reported supercell characteristics including large rain-free bases, rotating wall clouds, beaver tails and a possible funnel despite horrible visibilty due to trees.

I was also chasing but couldn't out of work until 4PM. I blasted southwest from Richmond toward the isolated cells, eventually targetting cells near Kenbridge and Keysville, Virginia. As I approached the isolated cells, they would die and eventually merge into a rainy mass of "mush". At dark, I headed back toward Richmond watching numerous CG's. One close CG seemed to break apart into little pieces (my camcorder was pointed the other direction) It seemed like a big MCS. There was minor flooding in Richmond when I returned and my roof leaked. Arrghh.

I hope Bill Coyle can post some pics.

Bill Hark

In addition, some confirmed tornadoes in Yadkin County, NC, and Patrick County, VA, all F0-F1, per NWS Blacksburg assessment. Also, I was nowcasting for Dave Carroll on Thursday (July 7) when he and 2 fellow chasers were in the Yadkin County storm and observed a rotating wall cloud and swirling rain curtains near a radar-indicated meso. A very difficult day to chase, as is usual in tropical systems, due to all the heavy rain, very low cloud bases, etc. I got into that mess with Ivan last year.

In addition, some confirmed tornadoes in Yadkin County, NC, and Patrick County, VA, all F0-F1, per NWS Blacksburg assessment. Also, I was nowcasting for Dave Carroll on Thursday (July 7) when he and 2 fellow chasers were in the Yadkin County storm and observed a rotating wall cloud and swirling rain curtains near a radar-indicated meso. A very difficult day to chase, as is usual in tropical systems, due to all the heavy rain, very low cloud bases, etc. I got into that mess with Ivan last year.

I hope some of those chasing in North Carolina or Virginia could post some wall cloud/funnel images here or on their websites. I didn't see anything July 7th and would like to see some other chasers "catches" even if they were wall clouds and not tornadoes.

Bill Hark
Richmond, Virginia
http://www.harkphoto.com

Back