06/30/05 TALK: Central Plains

Looks like joplin just missed the most dangerous part of the storm but its still tracking to the sw. if i were in diamond, Granby or Neosho id be taking tornado precautions now

I'm assuming since nothing has come out on the extent of the damage yet, nothing major happened (such as an injury or extensive damage). We heard one of the news stations in Wichita report it, but they didn't give us more than the town that got hit. We'll see later on Friday.

I'm surprised that Greenwood county cell actually did something (I thought it was only going to be the token radar indicated rotation we get with these strong summer fronts), because when it was there, it looked like a cell that was briefly going to rotate then maybe be a hailer. I just blew off the possibility of a long-track tornadic supercell because one of the SPC outlooks said marginal shear was in place.

It appers that the city of SCAMMON in CHEROKEE Co. KS has been hit by a Tornado....

"0225 SCAMMON CHEROKEE KS 3728 9482 KS HWY PATROL HAS REPORTED THE TOWN OF SCAMMON HAS BEEN STRUCK BY A TORNADO (SGF)" -SPC Storm Reports

.... Does any body know how serious the situation there is? Hope it wasn't to strong and the damage lvl is low.

I live in Scammon and I don't know of any major damage or injuries in town from the storms last night, although there was quite a bit of tree damage and possibly other damage to structures that I haven't seen or heard about.

I was caught somewhat off guard by the storms last night and didn't chase or spot any aside from what I could do from my house, and while I didn't witness any wall clouds or funnel clouds from my house, I couldn't see all of the updraft base due to trees. Judging from radar, storm reports other than the one that mentioned Scammon, and what I could see, I think the main area of rotation stayed to the west of town. Scammon is only about a quarter to a half square mile in size, so if anything did touch down in the town itself it couldn't have been far from where I was. At my house the worst we got from the tornadic storm was penny to nickel size hail -- there wasn't much wind. I think most of the wind damage in town came from severe straight line winds associated with the bow echo that blew through 2 or 3 hours after the supercell, but I'll be very interested to see the info from the damage survey to find out the paths of any tornadoes in the area.

The worst damage that I know of in the area was to a mobile home that was destroyed near McCune. Unfortunately news reports say that there were two people injured in the mobile home and that there was a third injury elsewhere in the area.

Blake Allen

Back