06/29/2005 TALK: MIDWEST

Save for the lack of "extreme" instability (I'd call the 3000-3500 SBCAPE across MN "strong"), the situation from the SPC/RUC mesoanalysis is about as good as it gets in terms of wind shear, low LCLs, and other elements over a large mesoscale area. East to southeast surface winds beneath 35-40kt southerly/SSWrly 850mb flow, 55-60kt southwesterly 500mb flow, and 35-55kt southwesterly flow at 300mb. The awesome directional and speed shear in the lowest few kms are yielding 0-3km SRH values in the 250-400 m2/s2 across the warm sector (higher in ne MN, but that's not in the warm sector, so not really worth considering), with 40-55kt deep-layer shear from MN to northern IA. All of this together is yielding Siggy Tors of 2-4 across a wide swatch of western MN and nw IA. The only discouraging factor for tornadoes is the linear nature of the convection in north of Redwood Falls, MN, though convection is developing and remaining discrete farther into southwestern MN. Overall, it looks like a definate tornado potential across mainly southern MN for as long as the supercell can remain discrete. Pretty impressive late-June setup to say the least. It would have been a little better had clouds and precip not messed with the area this morning and earlier this afternoon, but the 3000 CAPE will likely be enough for tornadic action (given the very impressive shear nonetheless).

EDIT: The Wood Lake MN (southwestern MN) profiler almost makes me want to cry from the sheer beauty of the low-level wind profile.

Mike Johnston, Dick McGowan, and I are currently in Ida Grove, IA waiting for the cap to erode a little more as it looks like storms will start to fire further south along the boundary into Iowa. Will probably move further east as the front is booking it. Already seeing towers going up so it looks like our fun might be beginning shortly.

Darin

Finally some tornado reports
0935 PM TORNADO 1 W HEIDELBERG 44.49N 93.64W
06/29/2005 LE SUEUR MN LAW ENFORCEMENT
TORNADO ON THE GROUND 1 MILE WEST OF HEIDELBERG. MOVING NORTHEAST.

0753 PM TORNADO 3 NW MADELIA 44.08N 94.46W
06/29/2005 WATONWAN MN TRAINED SPOTTER

WITNESSED BY NUMEROUS SPOTTERS AND CHASERS. TORNADO WAS LAST SEEN ON THE GROUND AT 758 PM. DAMAGE REPORTED AT A FARMPLACE 3 MILES SOUTH OF HANSKA...IN WATONWAN COUNTY. EXTENT OF DAMAGE UNKNOWN.

0635 PM TORNADO 2 S JEFFERS 44.03N 95.20W
06/29/2005 COTTONWOOD MN TRAINED SPOTTER

0624 PM TORNADO 7 NW WINDOM 43.94N 95.22W
06/29/2005 COTTONWOOD MN NWS EMPLOYEE
TORNADO HIT FARMSTEAD

0618 PM TORNADO 7 SW JEFFERS 43.98N 95.30W
06/29/2005 COTTONWOOD MN NWS EMPLOYEE

0553 PM TORNADO 9 E MARSHALL 44.45N 95.61W
06/29/2005 LYON MN LAW ENFORCEMENT

0551 PM TORNADO 4 SE MARSHALL 44.41N 95.73W
06/29/2005 LYON MN NWS EMPLOYEE
Mike

Talked to Dick Mcgowan who is near Spencer Ia, reporting a wall cloud about 5 minutes ago.

As discussed since yesterday, the activity is turning into 2 squall lines in WI...one coming over the river from NW IA and the other headed east from MPX into NW WI. It's getting crazy listening to NAWAS with either ARX or MPX giving out warning info.

WW 559 just went up, but it's only 80 miles wide and the whole length of WI. Either I'm missing something or SPC only expects the line(s) to make 2 counties across. It lacks the coverage one would expect for a box covering a fast moving squall line.

As discussed since yesterday, the activity is turning into 2 squall lines in WI...one coming over the river from NW IA and the other headed east from MPX into NW WI. It's getting crazy listening to NAWAS with either ARX or MPX giving out warning info.

WW 559 just went up, but it's only 80 miles wide and the whole length of WI. Either I'm missing something or SPC only expects the line(s) to make 2 counties across. It lacks the coverage one would expect for a box covering a fast moving squall line.

The airmass beyond the watch box is relatively stable do to our beloved lake Michigan, with a southeasterly flow... They most likely expect that to have a big impact on the damaging wind potential.

That's what I figured also, but when I stuck my head outside I found it was a bit more humid than 4 hours ago, and the breeze off the lake had stopped. I'm 20 miles due west of downtown Milwaukee now, and it's sticky and still out.

Congrads to those who bagged a tornado today out west.

Talked to Dick Mcgowan who is near Spencer Ia, reporting a wall cloud about 5 minutes ago.

Yea, there was two storms up here that produced wall clouds and some brief funnels. I was on the one in Dickinson/Emmet county and it showd a decent sign of comin' down. But, rotation was quite slow and never even made it a 1/4 way down. It ended up being quite a supercell, check out these pics of it -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/NWI...IASupercell.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/NWI...llPanoramic.jpg

I'll post a report hopefully tomorrow...

Back