06/20/09 DISC: IA

I chased these storms from a really safe distance --Oklahoma City-- via Gibson Ridge.

It was interesting to watch what appeared to be a clog of spotters/chasers sending back poor video of that amorphous, rain-wrapped, storm complex east of DMX while there was virtually nobody on the more discrete and interesting (in my opinion) storms which formed to the south a couple of hours later.

Granted, it's usually hard to break away from a "sure bet" to go after other storms but I was surprised how few people showed up on SpotterNetwork further south.

..Chris.. (Baking in 100 degree weather until September)

I chased these storms from a really safe distance --Oklahoma City-- via Gibson Ridge.

It was interesting to watch what appeared to be a clog of spotters/chasers sending back poor video of that amorphous, rain-wrapped, storm complex east of DMX while there was virtually nobody on the more discrete and interesting (in my opinion) storms which formed to the south a couple of hours later.

Granted, it's usually hard to break away from a "sure bet" to go after other storms but I was surprised how few people showed up on SpotterNetwork further south.

..Chris.. (Baking in 100 degree weather until September)

Ah, the chaser teleporter....coming in 2050. Perhaps because they fired after the first stuff, and at a distance at least somewhat problematic to reach soon enough. Wasn't very surprising to me I guess. I pondered it late, but really, never felt those mushbombs to the se would be a heck of a lot different than the first storms to fire were early on. Rather unimpressive from their backside.

I was still seeing tornadoes through 8 PM from the "mushy" northern stuff, so it was pretty tough to consider leaving it. The two strongest tornadoes of the day occurred from these storms, in the Holland and Dike vicinities. As soon as these cells appeared to weaken by ~815 PM, I dropped south to potentially intercept trailing cells down the line on my way home...but by the time I reached their backsides they had all weakened as well. I suppose some sort of substantial tornado could have occurred from southern storms and gone unseen by spotters/chasers, but there isn't any evidence of this from WFO Davenport/Des Moines. My radar was functioning by around 8 o'clock and I was certainly curious if those storms would fare well, given their slightly larger and more discrete appearance.

Can a moderator change the date on this page to the 21st?

Back