06/10/05 REPORTS: Central Plains.Ohio Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Severe thunderstorm warning was issued for McCracken County in Western Kentucky earlier this evening. I didn't have to go far to get some nice shots! Storm moved right through my neighborhood.

All of these photographs were taken around 7:30 p.m. They were taken in Lone Oak, Kentucky (part of Paducah, Kentucky).

Rain free base

rainfreebase.jpg

rainfreebase2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wall Cloud as it passes just north of my house

june10th2005wallcloudy.jpg

wallcoludloneoakjune10th.jpg

loneoakstormsjune10thwallcloudss.jpg

Was targeting area in eastern TX panhandle, mainly up near and west of Canadian, as RUC was forecasting strong instability and shear in that area. Dan Dawson and I made it to Clinton for a data stop, realizing that it probably wasn't any better west owing to the widespread elevated convection. Despite OUNs continued optimism of tornadic potential, it was becoming apparent to us that the day wasn't going well. The Jayton profiler did show a nicer 50kt jet streak at 500mb pass through there mid afternoon, and Vici profiler was showing winds 850mb-500mb in the 45-60kt range, which was much higher than forecast. In indeed, OUN 0z sounding confirmed 45kts near 700mb, again more than forecast.

At any rate, some crapvection finally went up in Greer county (with reflectivities in the 55 dbz range), so headed towards Elk City. When we made it there, noticed there was NO storm to speak of, and noted more semi-vigorous convection trying to go to our east (certainly looked like 3000 CAPE updrafts). The storms were largely multicellular, though we did see a few wall-clouds. Oddly enough, the storms were moving NNE in such a fashion that there was more anvil to the SOUTHWEST of the updraft (upwind of the 250mb winds) than to the northeast. It turns out that the storms were moving at a speed that yielded a northeasterly (!) upper-level storm-relative wind. The updrafts were heavily tilted to about 500mb (indicated of the strong flow in the low-levels), but were vertical and eventually titlted upwind above that level. Multicell garbage with insufficient deep-layer shear for sustained supercells. :roll:

We chased in Texas today, but I'll post this anyway. Mickey Ptak, Chad Lawson, and myself worked the I-40 to I-27 corridor today, with not much luck. Didn't have faith in the early convection in the east TX pan to get cranking, so we blasted west through it to the isolated storms on the dryline. Unfortunately, our plan backfired as the DL began to recede west and our storms gradually crapped out as they moved off it, losing their forcing and lift. We decided to drop south as our airmass along I-40 was being worked over quite well by all the scattered convection, but this also failed as nothing could get going well at all. Did get on a neat little storm southwest of Spade, complete with a (non-rotating) wallcloud. However, this lasted not very long, and soon the day was a bust. We didn't hit any type of bird today, so that was a plus.

MILES: 300
Left the previous day HAYS 6/9 outbreak area at noon to play the dryline going south to SPC warned areas of s/Central K/S OKL border.
Ran into storms firing all the way down but was fighting with a ton of moisture and got into a couple of lowerings, lightening near Coldwater in Comanche County. Got pounded with 55mph winds and major downpours. Could see that W /OKL was a good play.

REAL dissapointment came when Viewing TWC tonight and seeing beautiful TOR footage 40 miles north of HAYS , my starting point!
Not complaining though after scoring big the night B4 in KS.

AFTER seeing the TWC thread on a ROOKS TOR from yesterday... I can only assume it was from 6/9 (not 6/10 as they keep saying) - somehow I feel better all the sudden after my previous post RE missing it.
Besides SPC doesnt show it on a report - someone call Dave Scwartz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back