06/02/05 TALK: Plains

Ouch!

ouch.png

Aaron

Yeah, I'm not sure we're going to break the cap up here. I'm hanging out in Ness City and I see towers trying to go up but then they fizzle out. I don't think we got the heating we needed to break it. The lingering outflow boundary seems to be the only trigger at the moment.

Tim

Does look like something is going up about 6 miles ESE of Pampa near Kingsmill (just east of the wind farm or whatever it is). Good luck to David and anyone else out in the panhandle.

Not related to storms, but check out the velocity from AMA. Looks like the beam is hitting plenty of semis/cars today ;)
cars_ama.png

vehicles_ama.png

Gives new meaning to speed limits enforced by radar!

Aaron

Yeah that area is looking more promising all the time. A couple of the CU have thickened up significantly and are showing MUCH more vertical development. North of Shamrock now, stopped to top off gas. Hope it doesn't pull the stunt the one in KS did.

Sitting near 144/83 exchange about 40 miles N Liberal. DOW is sitting about 1 mile down the road from me. Was able to watch the storm down near Liberal die from the NE... what's new this year? A few CU are visible to my NW, not very convective looking attm however. Confidence is down, but not out, 2 1/2 hrs left and a lot can happen[/img]

From MCD #1129 (regarding SW TX):

AS STRONGER UVV MOVES EWD...CELLS WILL LIKELY EVOLVE INTO A LOOPY SQUALL LINE LATER TONIGHT WITH DAMAGING WINDS...HAIL AND ISOLD TORNADOES ACROSS SWRN TX.

Loopy?

Anyway, I'm anxious to see imagery of today's Limon storm, as I have the feeling it has some incredible structure given radar presentation. Comparing ground reports and radar, I'm guessing Limon itself got smacked pretty hard by the RFD?

Meanwhile, another cap bust in the making in SW KS...

Loopy is a good word.

Looks like something is trying to hang on about 5 SSE of Vega, TX west of AMA. Probably just birds, dust, or a swarn of flies coming after Amarillo...but eh. The MCS around SW TX should get forming in a couple hours to provide for an interesting light show down there.

We sat around south of Canadian and watched some CU try and try but fail miserably. Finally decided to head back toward Pampa where I had data access and see how things were shaping up.

Going to head back toward LBB now concerned with that wave coming in with svr storms in our home area later tonight.

Me, Darin Brunin and Andrew Ashley are sitting at the Subway in Pratt, KS, classic bust today, going to slip on down to Woodward for the night and target probably E TX panhandle for tomorrow.

Nice cell popping up fast Ellis County, KS. Marcus Opitz, on the phone with me now, heading towards it from E on I-70 at twilight.

EDIT: Cell died as fast as it rose: rose to 43,000 ft. in ~15 minutes w/ back-sheared anvil, then completely collapsed. Marcus said he could see stars underneath the leftover anvil by the time he pulled off the chase!

Limon storm was pretty mean. I was on it nw of Limon but not the second it went up. About Limon, lol. I don't like to mess with low gas on chases in those areas so I thought I'd quickly top the tank of on the nw side of town......REAL quickly. It was pretty cool there as the inflow picked up rapidly and tumbleweeds were flying by me into this nasty nasty base moving quite close, sirens sounding. Just pretty thrilling right then. I'm glad I beat it there. Took the se option just so it could change its mind and go east. Messed around on gravel for the next hour or so till I made it ahead of at Seibert on the highway north of the interstate. It had great stucture from the south but the ne view loooking sw offered a whole new world to its stucture....VERY HP. This loooong tail cloud(not a beaver) formed and went right up this rather nasty wall cloud sw of me. Dirt ahead of the storm to my south aways began racing west. I was well ne of the REAL HP core and was still getting pelted with quarter sized hail. Tried to get what I could there before deciding I'd better move or lose windows....poor horses that were near me....hope they stayed up against that outbuilding. Also a dog walked up to my door(too big to let in...lol) and I told him to find shelter buddy. Visually looked like the nastiest core I've ever seen. Scooted east and got blasted by dirt here in Goodland where I'm staying. It was kind of funny meeting friends on that dirt road east of Hugo(Amos and Walker Ashley). I hope you guys stayed out of the cores and can chase tomorrow. Will post pics in reports whenever I get back home. Saw no tornadoes today as I really believe most of them you'd have to be in them to see them. Something happened just nw of limon but I was trying to quickly top off and probably missed something from the sounds of it.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weather/45...242/detail.html

Thought this story was rather amusing. I was heading north on HW 71 from Limon to intercept the supercell that produced this tornado report...

2237 6 S WOODROW WASHINGTON CO 3989 10358 (BOU)

I got greedy and bypassed the E-W option of HW 36 to get closer to the mean looking meso approaching from the west at 2231 z. Unexpectedly I am forced to stop, I pull up behind the ABC news satellite truck and chase vehicle that Ms. Jamison was in. Unbelievably...we are in the middle of road construction that has the road down to one lane and has us trapped in for the next 2-3 minutes while they continue to pave the road...oblivious to the approaching supercell! Finally we are able to proceed, but there is no way to turn around in time to get back to HW 36 so I hightailed it north to avoid the immense hail core, while for some reason the ABC crew pulled off on a gravel road in direct path of the convective core. Thankfully I made it out alive and unfortunately they took some good hail damage. I'll be interested to see if anyone caputured photos/video of the tornado the supercell supposedly dropped 3-4 minutes after my escape.

The rest of my chase was pretty exciting as I got onto two other tornado warned supercells in east CO, but never caught any of the brief tornadoes. I'll have the full report up later in the reports section. In the meantime I think someone should look into the State of Colorado Construction policies because I ran into two other instances where workers were out in the open getting nailed by CG lightning / hail / and possible tornadoes! -- I guess operating heavy machinery is the least of their job related hazards!

Back