05/22/04 REPORTS: NE, KS, IA

Status
Not open for further replies.
David responded to a thread in Weather and Chasing with his report but asked me to quote it here for those of you who only read Target Area

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
All I can say after yesterday is WOW! I will be posting multiple video clips here shortly as I am working on encoding them right now. As some of you have heard, we had a multi vortex tornado develop right on top of us. We had just seen a rain wrapped tornado west of there near the community of Ayr just south of Hastings, NE. We were heading east staying ahead of the storm when it changed it's trajectory and one of the largest RFD sweeps I have ever seen came out and around us to the east. This took down some large trees over the road which REALLY slowed our progress, well at this point our escape to the east. We finally snaked our way through the downed trees and bailed east as quick as we could trying to get east of that RFD and out of the bear's cage. We spotted a fire truck and pulled up to tell them about the trees on the road when the tornado developed right on top of us. When you see the video that is where it begins. Multiple vortices were forming and spinning all around us! Before we started moving we registered a speed max on the wxstation at 107.8 mph effectively putting that in the F1 range at least during that time.

I just floored it trying to go the only way we could....east. I had the accelerator completely floored and was only moving at about 10 mph for a little while. The van was trying to lift up in the back as this is the lightest end of the van and was pushing the back sideways. I looked in the rear view and saw the fire truck trying to turn around and I could swear I saw it start to turn over as the dust between us blocked out any further view. I have yet to confirm if that happened but we called nowcaster Tom Tackett who was able to call the NWS who in turn contacted the Clay County sheriff's dept who THEN called us trying to find where he was so they could check on him.

As we ran for our lives east at this point, we came through the community of Fairfield on HWY 74 where you hear the siren's going off in the video. We were trying to get far enough east of everything to stop and assess the damage and we finally did near the community of Strang. Some locals saw us having difficulty and stopped to help put plastic on the windows. This proved to be a futile attempt in the wind and they took us in to their community into a steel barn where we could get the plastic on. They then took us over to a little resteraunt they had there and was going to let us use their internet connection and offered us food and drink. I walked out to the van to get a cable to see a rapidly rotating wall cloud almost overhead and we told them all to head for shelters while we bailed out south as they were scrambling.

We eventually ended up very near Hallam, NE where we heard the call go out for any and all help that could come. Being past trained as a First Responder and carrying a full trauma kit we made a quick run over there where what we saw was nothing more than completely amazing.

The state police let us in and sent us up the road to Hallam where as we followed a state police car in weaving through all manner of debris ranging from LARGE hay bails to power lines to structure materials.

Arriving at the intersection just east of the town where the first responding help to the area was setting up. A member of the Southwest Fire Dept came over and asked if we were Storm Chasers and replied yes and they said they had heard of another tornado strike just to the south at the community of Cortland and requested that we head south down there and see what, if anything, had happened.

Heading south we passed tremendous damage along the road as well as all manner of materials in the road. We finally came upon a spot that water was rapidly running across and there was tremendous debris. Right across from there was a couple of houses completely destroyed and we needed to get across that. A fire truck had come up behind us and they decided to go through it. After they did we snaked though. I managed to severely damage a CV axle on some debris getting through that. We found one family that had actually left Hallam and came to that location to take shelter and had been in the basement. The crew from fire truck that went in with us asked us if we could transport them back to the triage station that had been set up at the Stuart Station Power Plant just north of Hallam. At this point it was time to turn the cameras off and start helping. We threw everything that was in the seats in the back and loaded up the whole family, mom and dad and 3 kids and we headed back through the mess to the triage center. The mom was wanting a cigarette really bad so Melissa gave her the whole pack she had and we also gave them some drinks out of our cooler. They were pretty scared that there were more tornadoes in the area, so while we were transporting them I called Tom and got an update to find out that everything had moved east of the area much to their relief of course.

When we arrived there the crews there took on the family where the mom hugged us and kissed us before we parted, and then the medical crews got concerned about us after finding out about our tornado encounter. They had us check in to triage for records and then we headed back to Hallam. At this point our help was no longer needed so I was back to shooting video again. I will also post some videos of this stuff. I won't be posting video of the family we transported. I felt that not only would running the cameras at that point been seriously disrespectful but helping them FAR took the priority at the time. She did invite us to come back out today and she would give us a tour of her house so I gave her contact info as I am sure no one is getting in there at this point.

Right now due to damage to the van I am basically stuck on Nebraska. Monday will be trying to get windows replaced, half of the soil and vegetation of Nebraska cleaned out of the van and get the CV axle repaired.

Stay tuned......[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond

OK, I have posted some video now. Both low and higher resolution. The higher is the way to go if you really want to see it as the lower is very small for slow dialup, but doesn't look great:

Chasers hit by tornado:

HI REZ 5.4 megs:

http://wx5tvs.com/chasephotos/2004/2004pic...204TORNADO!.wmv

LOW REZ 630k:
http://wx5tvs.com/chasephotos/2004/2004pic...NADO!LOWREZ.wmv

Damage video from Hallam, NE in the first hours after the tornado hit:

HI REZ 4.17 megs:
http://wx5tvs.com/chasephotos/2004/2004pic...m_NE_Damage.wmv

LOW REZ 618k:
http://wx5tvs.com/chasephotos/2004/2004pic...mage_LOWREZ.wmv

will be posting some more B roll stuff later....

Originally posted by Dan Robinson
Finally found a small hotel in YATES CENTER Kansas at 3:00AM that wasn't booked!!!

I guess they had a boat load of boaters in the area, funny thing is I just passed through Yates Center at about 3 AM, conteplating on just staying the night at that very same hotel - because the other was full - but decided to just bear the last 100 miles home.

I got home around 5 AM.

Hey!

Just got in. We saw 2 tornadoes yesterday. Awesome day meteorological-wise, but I am very sad to hear about the fatalities. I won't have my videos up yet since I don't have the software to get them off of my tape, but I will edit this thread later with a written account and a link to photos.

Edit: Here are some pictures that I took of the first tornado (near Republic, KS) with my digital. DIdn't have time to get the lighting and all that stuff right, so they are grainy. I'll have much better stills when I get get images off of the video camera:
b2beacd8f5dd19dbfa5346b217c7dd38.jpg
b8e42e660ee3ffd44dc63e1731269423.jpg

I'm too lazy to write a written account now, and I don't know if I will. But basically, we went to Hebron and then went west. The road network was bad so we followed the western storms east and pretty much ended up where we started. Then we cut south and saw 2 tornados right around the KS/NE border. The one above is the 1st. The 2nd one is on my video camera, but I really couldn't get a good shot with my digital still camera.

Can finally post again - thanks for your help, David -

Upon reviewing video, we saw five tornadoes yesterday. We were on the Hummel storm as it initially tornadoed and followed it through tornado after tornado - managed to stay in the hook the entire time, so the views remained quite good. It cycled between classic funnel to multiple vortex to full wedge to rope throughout the video.

We originally went over data in Beatrice, and struggled with what we should do ... discussed options with other chasers - gave the setup some thought, and noticed a bulge that had appeared in the dryline moving in from the southwest, so my brother and I decided to head west and hope something would happen - it did in a big way.

We arrived under the storm base just as the initial downdraft cleared and the RFB became visible - had a high appearance. Suddenly out of nowhere, the first tornado just dropped and within moments had four or five individual vortices rotating around the center. This moved across highway 81 north on its way to the poor town of Hummel. We picked up a farmer who dropped his tractor off in his field but who was about a mile from his car - and took him to it ... he called his wife and grandmother to get them to take shelter as the tornado came very close to them. He wanted to come with us the rest of the way, but I had no idea where we would end up - so we left him safely at his vehicle as the tornado moved across the road in front of us. We tracked eastward across a very good gravel road, followed by a young chaser from Norman. We stopped again as the tornado must have been going through Hummel - we were just south of the town - it was quite large at this point - cannot really estimate the size of the tornado as dust and debris were caught up and swirling around the outside perimeter at this point. We followed further east, where the storm appeared to split and maintained dual areas of rotation for a bit. We saw multiple more touchdowns before we lost light, including a cool rope, another very wide based tornado, and a stovepipe shaped tornado as the sun was setting.

Afterward we went back to Beatrice to work on video, where two more tornado warnings were called, forcing me, Doug Kiesling and the entire Weathervine crew (Amos, Jeff, Chris, etc.) south of town ten miles as the mesos passed safely by. Also met up with the Twister Sisters - nice work for helping out when people needed help yesterday ladies - you totally rock in my book. Just lots of good people around -

It was quite a day - - - thank you also to Dave Crowley, Neal Rasmussen, Sarah Jones, Justin Teague, Doug Kiesling, and several other chasers for their help yesterday - nice job to everyone else who caught beautiful things yesterday as well - Mike H - that hail shot is wicked. And you KC photographers did awesome as well -

I love Nebraska.

Day two of the chase vacation continues tomorrow as Mike Hudson and I will hopefully go on an excursion to the beautiful Iowa countryside.

Here are a few pics - will get some video online as well -

http://www.stormseason.com/522NebraskaTornadoes.htm

Our hearts are certainly with the good people who lost loved ones and property yesterday -

Best -

That is some amazing video!!!!!!!!!!

One of those things that you don't want to happen ever again but now that it is over you don't mind being apart of.

Holy chit that was cool!!

Guess I will post the only bust report for May 22! Drove up to central KS to play the dryline. Could have easily made it to SE Nebraska, but I hate chasing warm fronts, especially when there is any hint of dryline love.

Watched the dryline boil for a while, produce some towers and orphan anvils. Watched it back up in response to the approaching shortwave. Heard about the tornado watch issued by SPC. But never did get a storm out of it.

Stayed the night in Great Bend, watched NASCAR, got up and birded in Quivira NWR (very cool place). Drove home thru some marginal stuff in OK. Read Stormtrack and realized what I missed. Didn't feel that bad -- I hate warm fronts.

Congratulations to everybody who had a great day.

I posted some pics and one short video from s. central Neb.
Still have video from other cam to go through this week sometime.

Got home (Tulsa) just after 6 am next time I'll find a motel that was more dangerous than chasing. zzzzzzzzzzz

pics here

I went with Jeff to the town of Hallam so that he could upload some video of the tornadic supercell that struck the area the previous night. The networks had their satellite trucks parked at the edge of the town. I was able to take a few damage images. Absolutely awful. I am still very annoyed about missing the photogenic tornadoes though after seeing that devastated town everything is put into perspective. I am thankful to have a home. My heart goes out to all the residents of those towns damaged by the tornadoes.

Below are links to images that I took in Hallam, Nebraska. I believe the tornado was an F3 on the Fujita damage scale, maybe F4.

http://www.harkphoto.com/temphallam1.jpg

http://www.harkphoto.com/temphallam2.jpg

http://www.harkphoto.com/temphallam3.jpg

http://www.harkphoto.com/temphallam4.jpg

http://www.harkphoto.com/temphallam5.jpg

Image of the southwestern side of the storm. Most of my images are too dark. We were just to the southeast of Hallam when the storm struck and Jeff was able to see a dark stovepipe/wedge using his VX2100. I couldn't see much with the TRV 900. The whole storm was violently rotating with inflow blasting. Although I couldn't film it, the storm was amazing.

http://www.harkphoto.com/temphallamstorm1.jpg

Bill Hark

http://www.harkphoto.com

Hey everyone (those who missed out) don't feel bad. Lemme tell you 'bout my little encounter...

1. Leave Dumas, TX ~ 10am, drive (safely :D ) all the way to Hebron, NE. Cell goes up just to our west, how convenient !!

But... my "thinking" goes into play, so I look at my radar and decide that the monster to our west is worth going after. We bounce around dirt roads, etc. Come upon Nelson, NE. By now, the storm is one of the biggest I've ever seen !! Thinking "now is my big day". Driving out of Nelson, hit a little :shock: bump in the road that literally sends us airborne !! Batteries spark, radios fry, smoke and fire out of the back of the truck, my chase team is in panic, oh boy. Well, all is safe, so we throw trashed radios and wiring in the back seat of the Explorer and truck on east.

We did witness tornadogenesis and rapid rotation (drove right through it actually) and wound up on a small county paved road with a ton of other "spotters" but not too many chasers.

Here's the fun part... Heading out of this area trying to stay safe and east of the storm, but yes, admit to doing a little excessive speed, I see flashing lights in my rear view mirror. With a tornado on the ground to my north, I'm thinking... Okay, this guy is just following me doing his community duty. WRONG !! :oops: Local county deputy pulls me over as other chasers go screaming by at higher rates of speed than I would dream of doing, yet he pulls me over, then stops traffic on the entire road. Comes up to the truck and says... I'm not kidding, you guys would have loved this and yes we do have it on video... the cop comes up to the truck and says, "gimme your license". Then he says, I just don't know what in the hell to do with all you chasers. This is really pissing me off. I'm just so pissed off now, I don't know what to do !! :D :D :D

So luckily, he lets us go with a warning, telling us he's warned every county ahead of us (as if he knew where we were going) that if they catch me, to bring me back to him !!! I wonder if I'd just let him hit me if he'd felt better ??? :D :D :D

Okay, back on the road... head east, still on this monster. Funnel, after funnel, after funnel, with occasional touch down. Heading into Wilbur. At this time, half the east side of the town has been heavily damaged or destroyed. Stop to help, PD and FD say they need communications. So I offer to help by using satellite phone though my Motosat dish. Okay, umm... dish not working. I felt so bad at this point I could have rather just stayed home !!! I felt bad for the people, bad for the victims, and bad for us not being able to do a damn thing to help !! :evil:

Well, chase is over. Spend the night in Beatrice at the local "economy" inn. NO air-conditioning !!! We all wake up just a little tired, sweaty, and anxious to get home.

All in all, everyone... don't feel bad about your "bust". I had my neighbor, along with two folks from Arkansas out on a chasecation, who asked to ride with an "expert". Oh boy, did I let them down !!! :(

Over $100 in expenses, that's even with everyone pitching in to help on costs, major damage to most every piece of "gadgetry" I own, and really to be honest, no REAL tornado footage.

Word of caution: WATCH OUT FOR THAT ONE PISSED OFF COP NEAR BLUE HILL, NEBRASKA !! :D He obviously doesn't like chasers, or at least me. Maybe it was all the OU stuff on my vehicle and being in Nebraska that set him off ??? :wink:

Anyway, really had a great group of folks with me who NEVER complained one bit about my poor driving, technical problems, run-in with the local "Buford T. Justice" and the luxury accomodations !!

Seriously, I am VERY saddened by the many losses people suffered on this day. We all knew it was possible, and we're all out there to help. I am truly sorry for my equipment failing and not being able to help with communications when needed in Wilbur. Cell phones had no signal, and oh yeah, one final thing... on the day before the chase, my only two-way dual band ham radio also went out on me. Does anyone have a cure for "jinx" city ??? :wink:

CONGRATS to all that got what they wanted, and many thoughts and thank yous for those who were able to help. It really says a lot for the chasing community when we team up to help. And really, that's all what we're in this for... to learn, to observe, the adrenaline "rush" and feeling of accomplishment, but also... to help and to protect.

In closing, again, our team sends thoughts and prayers to those who suffered losses yesterday.

For those who are depressed by their "bust" days, now... do you feel better ??? :p

Best to all,
Billy Griffin

Alma Tornado

Greg Michels, a lead forecaster at Marquette, Michigan, a storm chase partner, and I captured this tornadic supercell in Harlan County, Nebraska. We drove to Hastings, Nebraska on Friday night, 5/21, after chasing the storms in north central Kansas near Downs. We picked up 3 inch diameter hail at Downs just after the storm blew through on Friday evening.

We started out the day in Hastings on Saturday looking at internet weather data from the public library and decided to target the area of storms moving east from the McCook, Nebraska region. This area was in the tongue of high CAPE and good theta-E advection with dewpoints pooling into the 60's north of a surface low over north central Kansas. We were concerned with the 700 millibar warm cap of around 10 degrees Celsius and if we were going to break the cap before dark in the Hastings area. So we left the library around 330 pm and drove west to get in front of severe storms developing rapidly near McCook, Nebraska.

We noticed some large lowerings to the west around 530 pm in Furnas county but missed seeing the large high contrast tornado viewed by Roger Hill, Matt Crowther, and others.

We got to Alma about 6 pm and drove to a higher location on the north side of town. At 6:02 pm, we saw a very narrow developing funnel about 5 miles west northwest of us next to a rain shaft. At 6:03, it was producing debris and the condensation had touched the ground. It then got wider with an elephant trunk shape with more debris. We then needed to move a bit south because it was moving straight towards us. It was getting very hard to see at 6:08 pm, was getting rain and hail wrapped, and getting closer, so we decided to bail out of Alma and get east of Alma on Highway 136. The storm started to race eastward as the strong rear flank downdraft (RFD) outflow was pushing outward. The strong circulation with an RFD notch stayed north of the highway and kept trying to put down more funnels, but cannot confirm more tornados after 6:08 pm. This storm system was hard to stay ahead of as we raced several times east to get ahead of the downdraft. We then saw the herds of storm chase vehicles, maybe 20 cars in a row, all traveling east along with the Doppler On Wheels (Dows). We ended the chase at Hebron at dark and had another supercell chase us back to a gas station for cover. We were getting quarter size hail while the tornado sirens were blaring about dark or 9 pm.

We are truly saddened to hear of the loss of life and property damage with the other tornados east in the Lancaster County, Nebraska area.

For some pictures of the Alma, Nebraska tornado see:
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~fkruse.../Alma/Alma.html

Wanted to stay in the KS side of the KS/NE border, but meandered into NE where we thought the risk for tornadoes was much higher... We made it into Beatrice by about 5, but were somewhat disappointed with the dissapating cumulus field over the area. Our hopes quickly rose, however, when we saw a very nice storm develop northwest of Hebron. Sat just east of Hebron, watching the high-based storm rapidly develop a very low and rapidly-rotating wall cloud. Witnessed several brief spinups under this wall cloud, then blasted northeast to get a little closer...

The dust/dirt that was being kicked up by the RFD and by extreme inflow into the meso at this time was ridiculous! At any rate, we stayed with the storm and witnessed the large tornado northeast of Alexandria (I think that was the town...) around 7:20p. Visibility / contrast become poor from our vantage point courtesy of wraparound precip and dust/dirt... Got some pretty good vid of large dusty tornado at 740-750+ in the Swanton/Western/Daykin area ...

Drove near Firth a little after sunset, and ran into some pretty good tree damage, most likely from severe RFD winds. Got into a hairy situation for a while as we tried to venture north to get closer to the circulation, but were met with very strong outflow, at which time, with some slight fear for our safety, we blasted east and then south to get out of the way of this thing...

I'm trying to review video to get a final tornado count. Visibility/contrast was poor, so I'm actually seeing the tornadoes better on my video than I did while I was there...

David,

In your video, did I hear someone say they had glass in their back? Was she ok? The video was intense! Awesome driving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back