04/25/05: TALK: TX/OK

Supercell north of SVR-warned cell (Hood) in Parker county, is actually showing the best rotation, with an appendage, and shear at 11KTS...

EDIT: Parker supercell now has a SVR on it...

Now three formed supercells in northcentral TX (all SVR-warned...), with the strongest one of them all now entering Johnson county... With >2" inch hail being indicated on radar, along with some rotation (all storms showing at least SOME rotation)...

Wow! Those are some very intense storms moving into Ft. Worth / Dallas area. Rush hour should be a hoot. The southern storm in Johnson County is showing the classic flying eagle. I hope these don’t decide to drop a tube in the metro. This would be the storm to be on, except trying to chase through the metro would be a nightmare.

EDIT:The Johnson County storm is choking off the other two. This could be bad news for the southern metro area, as this storm continues to intensify.

WX underground radar is showing a TVS with the cell going thru Ft. Worth, along I-20. I dont really see a lot of rotation with that cell though. I think the cell to the south of that, in Johnson Co, with the flying eagle formation has the best potential.

Originally posted by Jason Montano
I think the cell to the south of that, in Johnson Co, with the flying eagle formation has the best potential.

Yep, I agree with that... That supercell is going absolutely mad, with very strong rotation, with a very well defined hook, just south of Godley. I'd watch out for this thing....

That Johnson County storm is exhibiting some deviant motion at 2052z.

PS: Would add that the lack of a tornado warning is likely informed in part by what I would imagine are many spotters, including some pretty experienced ones, reporting either high bases or lack of visual rotation. This could change fast however as storms move into higher instability axis.

Cells will shortly enter area of greatest low-level SR Helicity (0-1km) values of >200, along with a drop in LCL height to below 1,000. Also, SigTorn index dot of 1 just popped up on SPC mesoanalysis right around Dallas area. Southernmost cell looks to be turning R a little.

This is totally speculation on my part, but since they haven't issued a tornado warning--even if only to be on the safe side--I have to believe they're hearing from spotters that the storms show no indiciation of imminent tornadogenesis. Otherwise you'd warn just to make sure people have some lead time in and around such a huge population center. Again, I don't have any information to support this, just thinking out loud.

EDIT: tornado warning issued moments after I posted that, and a friend confirmed the sirens are blowing in downtown Ft Worth right now at 2112z

WFAA is now reporting on their website:

A tornado has reportedly touched down in the vicinity of I-20 and I-35W in south Fort Worth.

Both the Dallas Co. and Johnson Co. storms look great. The Dallas Co. looks great with the path it is taking, ESE path. This could be really really bad heading through Dallas at rush hour.

Back