Young chasers

I've completed my first season of storm chasing and I turned 23 at the end of the season. Didn't really understand the term yahoo until read some of the literature on ST this past summer. I would say that I've had a few moments of yahoo-ness. But as far as safety during chasing is concerned, I've done all my chasing with the upmost safety in mind. I know that I am still building on my knowledge. So last summer I went out and chased a few storms, staying on the outskirts (if not farther) as much as possible. This was influenced by the fact that I was chasing alone. But now I've found a couple people in town here that I can call and see if they'll go out with me. Also working on increasing my knowledge - so I bought all of Tim Vasquez's books and am reading through them now. They're OUTSTANDING and I recommend anyone wanting more knowledge to read them.

nice one Aaron!

Anywho, I'm 19 and I'll qualify as a young chaser, and I think I'll fall into both categories. I'm a yahoo in the fact that do chase for fun any my own personal photographic gain. I'm a serious chaser in that when I do see the sh*t hitting the fan I'll call up both the Sheriff's office and the NWS. I've even gotten my hands dirty helping out after watching my hometown got smoked by two tornados on the same night. I tell ya, nothing makes you more scared and changes your outlook on chasing more than sitting a mile away from your home town...watching twin tornados rip through. I'd say that June 24th was the last time I chased as a yahoo chaser and started chasing for the warning of the public. I've even started doing research...I've seen enough tornados that I'm trying to notice patterns with storm structure and radar signature...i.e. those flat lenticular type clouds that form over an updraft...for a whole season the only time I saw those clouds was associated with the core updraft that spawned the tornado. I saw them at no other time until this year when I saw them on many storms that didn't produce. But anyways I still like to have fun while doing it and the part that makes me part-yahoo is that I'll still do almost anything to get an angle on the storm.

Anyways enough babbling. To sum it up I think I started as a 16 year old yahoo chaser and have developed into a serious chaser (with a little yahoo left inside).

I started chasing when I was 18 in 1998. I take my chasing seriously and don't think anything will ever get me to stop chasing, unless I can no longer see, hear or move.

Mike and Amos have made good points. Are we all considered yahoos at some point? When you think about it, no matter how often you (in general) preach chase safety, have you ever broken one of those "rules"? I am sure we all have. I've been close to a rotating wall cloud. I've been in the core of an HP supercell. I know what hydroplaning is like and once in a while we do speed. At the same time, I do report my findings and am courteous of others, and keep general storm safety in mind (i.e. don't stand outside when there are a hundred CGs striking the ground, etc). I will be turning 25 next month, and I sometimes look back on my past chases, and sure, I know I have made some stupid mistakes. Hey, it happens. We are all human, we can never be perfect.

Every age group has their own set of yahoo chasers. Age is only a number, but maturity is something different.

I agree that everyone has a little yahoo in them, some ore than others.

Not to stray too far from the topic, but what do you guys consider speeding? Surely you guys aren't cruising to the target area at 65 (or 75 in select states)? I got a nice speeding ticket near Storm Lake for doing 75 in a 55, yahoo! :oops:

Anyway, I'm 21 and thought I would separate myself from the common "yahoo" perception by obtaining my ham radio license and spotter training so that I could actually give something back to the community. I've chased at night (without data or experience) and punched a core or two though so I can't say I'm perfect. :)

My definition of speeding is when the speed you are going is dangerous for yourself and others on the road. Going 75 in a 45 in rain = bad. 75 in a 65 on the interstate in IL while the speed limit in OK for the same type of road is 75.... not a big deal.
Of course technically, anything over the posted sign is speeding.

Aaron

"and punched a core or two though so I can't say I'm perfect."

Not sure why core punching is so commonly associated with yahooism. If you understand the risks, what is the big deal? I core punched the May 29 Mulvane storm. No harm done. It actually saved my chase from being a complete bust as I saw the Rock, KS tornado. It's all about situational awareness. I knew there was possibly large hail... I also knew from spotter reports that the meso was not rain wrapped. Not a large risk of driving into a wedge. Finally, we also had radar via portable TV which gave us a good idea where all the features were.

Would I core punch any storm? Heck no. It CAN be suicide in some cases.

Take 15 April 2004 for example...
http://ww2.convectionconnection.com:8080/C...w_6469c_std.jpg

I would not punch that... a rain/dust wrapped meso is loads of trouble. IT was a good thing we didn't either. A chaser 2 miles NE had great video of a stovepipe in that mess.

Aaron

I have to agree with all the talk of everyone having a bit of 'Yahoo' in them.. I guess the question shouldn't be "Are you a yahoo?", but rather, "Do you, eh, YAHOOOOO".

I actually started chasing seriously back in 2000, in which case, I was 19. My first chase was when I was 16, and I obviously had a severe interest in doing it since. In the passed few years, I've began to get my name out and hopefully and looked upon as one of those serious 'Yahoos'. :lol: I think Shane brings up a point; its mostly a social thing like high school is. Most of your dedicated chasers have a serious side of them that wants to see chasing remain a more toned-down sort of thing. And by toned-down, I mean less idiocies, not necessarily less people. I think in a sense, you kind of have to prove yourself a bit in order to lose the "yahoo" lable, but that doesn't mean prove yourself to everyone else, but more or less you (can you handle all that comes with it). Those that don't prove themselves tend to be weeded out in a couple years for any number of reasons.

As to an above comment on chasing affecting your school; I am guilty of that like none-other. Doesn't make me a Yahoo, I don't think, but a bit of an idiot when it comes to school. Finals week in May tends to suck a bit cause you know where my attention is; I guaruntee you it isn't on the exam in front of me! :lol: But as it was said time and time again, we all do things that others may consider not-so-bright, but that's what happens sometimes. It doesn't make you a Yahoo, just remember, if you're alive to tell about it and no one was hurt because of it, it was a helluva time!

Wow. I'm really pshyched at reading these posts. This completely changes my perception of what kind of people are out there. I had no idea.

Lots of evil-doers?

Hmmmm.... After reading the posts here, I guess I would qualify as a "Yahoo" of sorts. Though I try to get into the "zone" with good forecasting, I have been known to be off a time or two and bend a speed limit trying to make up for it. That being said, I drive a fairly high profile vehicle so I am constrained to keep it under control or my station WILL get calls.

I'm also pretty limited to a particular area and most of the LE folks know me or know who I work for. That tends to help as they generally know I don't have a suicidal streak or plan to mow anyone down getting to a storm. A lot of them know I was once a Police Officer and understand the "rules". That's not to say they won't snap me up in a heartbeat if I'm being stupid. They will. I just can't get a bad case of the stupids while out chasing.

In my case, there are several things at stake. My reputation locally (I get the 'dumbs' and I lose credibility). My station's reputation (People won't sponsor a fool and the money stops coming in), and last but not least, I lose self respect (By doing what I advocate against).

Remember, that's my own situation. The folks that aren'taffiliated with anyone but themselves have a little different set of rules they can play by. My rules are just a bit tighter. The folks we all frown on are those that do stupid things all the time and give the entire chase community a bad name for their singular actions. It happens almost everytime we go out.

In my view, these are the guys that are "Yahoo's", Those that block traffic. Those that get into the faces of people with a video camera after the house has been blown away. Those that have no common sense and put others at risk.

Let me jump off my soap box now, or I'll ramble on all night.

I am 23 and have been chasing since I was 15. I listen to rock and roll and enjoy getting as close as I can to 'naders. I also report to NWS and donate all of my video for spotter training. I helped with Tulsa's Project Impact disaster plan and have chased for a local news station. I don't drive wrecklessly or speed, but I am know to forego all peepee stops to get to the target area on time. I think a better term for these young yahoos would be "local yokels", because they aren't REAL storm chasers. Chasing has been sensationalized and people just run out whenever they hear a warning. Dave Crowley and I were chasing a tornadic cell through Tulsa, Ok and got flipped off by some "local yokel" teenagers after they ran a red light and almost hit us. We're not all dumb, and most of us have a geniune fascination with meteorology, not just tornadoes. See you all at the convention!

Didnt Doswell get run off the road by a crazy tag along chase he didnt know once? Maybe it was someone else...but, his name sticks in my mind as being the one who was put into the ditch. The driver didnt even stop to see if he was ok, and continued on towards the tornado.

My definition of Yahoo is someone who has more bravado and ego to get a hose, than brains and common sense. Therefore, core-punching doesn't mean you're a Yahoo, because under certain circumstances, you use your brain and check your common sense meter and make an informed and confident decision to do that. I might think that particular instance of punching isn't a good idea, but...

When one lets their excitement take over, threatening that level of reasonable safety each of us sets for ourselves, that's Yahooism.

As far as age, I started spotting within a Skywarn network at age 16. I guess I could say my first real chase on my own was just before I turned 18... the spring of 1995.

If you have a teenager who is interested in chasing, I suggest they be encouraged to get their ham radio license and become involved in Skywarn. Back in Abilene TX, where I grew up, I was required to ride with an experienced spotter twice (as I recall) before I did it on my own. It was very educational.

I think starting with spotting before I started chasing on my own gave me a greater foundation of storm knowledge, and it also kept my anxiety/excitement in check, because I had seen similar events in a somewhat controlled environment. You know you're not on your own. I think that's important for a brand new chaser, esp. a teenager.

mp

Since I'm only 17, this would be the first year I was able to actually chase (albeit locally on a leash due to gear ratio on my truck), which was nice. Having my gears changed, I'd like to chase further given I have the funds around favorable conditions (doubtable, but hey).

Whenever I've chased, I've tried to be safe, and driving is always my number one priority. I actually generally ignore the storm for the most part unless I'm pulled over or stopped; but not to the point where my safety would be threatened by the storm, of course. Not that I haven't made a few minor mistakes, of course...but defensive driving is pounded into my mind a good bit. Since I've only recently had my gears changed, I doubt I ever went about 55mph on a chase. Storms outrun you pretty quick that way.

About corepunching, the yahoo thing is in my mind, but I have to agree with the majority here. If you have proper data, situational awareness and a good tactical attack strategy, I don't see why it's so bad. However, 2 personal reasons I'd stray away from doing it for now, 1) My wipers don't work fast enough, and 2) I don't have the money to spare for automotive glass in a less-preferred scenario.

I've been a Skywarn spotter since I was 15, (early 2003) and got my ham radio license earlier this year as well. I keep a cellphone with me for a quicker, more-direct way of reporting something if needed. Not that NW Ohio gets anything good often, anyway. But, just in case, eh?

Being labeled a yahoo has nothing to do with age and more to do with attitude and actions. We all get excited when we see a tornado. If we didnt we wouldnt be doing this. Most people i consider "yahoos" are local people that come out with no clue whats going on just to follow chasers around and get close to a "nader". especially when they bring the 5 yr old along

I have been chasing for going on 20 yrs starting at age 15 (made my friend drive me). I am not as well know as some of the other "old timers" since I dont have a web site and mostly kept to myself or close friends for a number of years but have no problem with new chasers out there. If they love storms as much as me then they are more than welcome just dont stand in the road so I hit you and have to break off the chase to give you first aid or repair my vehicle. depends on how good the storm is :wink:

Back