Young chasers

I was curious about the general consensus in the chasing community of "younger" chasers, i.e. kids around college-age. From reports I've read, many self-proclaimed "chasers" in this age bracket are immediately labeled as yahoos, which I'm sure is entirely accurate (sample footage from Stormgasm.com comes to mind).

However, I'm more curious about younger chasers who take chasing seriously and act responsibly. Are they few and far between? In fact, are there some younger chasers on this forum?

Just curious.

(Those young-at-heart may consider themselves in this demographic if they so desire. :wink:)

There seems to be a considerable number of college-age chasers/aspiring chasers on this forum-myself included. Most of them come across to be reasonably knowledgable, responsible chasers. I myself have not done any true "chasing" yet, but when I do I certainly will make every effort to be courteous on the road and call in storm reports to the NWS (I will be taking spotter training in the spring).

I am a young chaser. I am 16 years old and I chase with my dad. We have been chasing for several years now. We are always careful on the roads and we are very responsible. I do not have extensive knowledge about weather, but I am reading books and I am learning. In fact I would like to become a meteorologist when I get older.

I'll be 18 in a couple months...

I'm typically immature to a point...But, take chasing quite seriously (while stil having fun of course) I wouldnt think of myself as a yahoo, though, someone else would have to answer that. But, I've been into severe weather since I was old enough to be interested in anything. I had tons of help on that, as my dad has been into this as well since he was a county storm spotter at age 18, and one of his best friends/coworkers is the chief meteorologist at the public radio station he works at. Of course, that same guy is now by boss, as I work part time in the weather office as a weather assistant, which has helped me a lot in gaining knowledge on a more broad aspect of weather, bridging out from the storm chasing interest. Obviously, I've only been able to drive for a couple years, so I'm still new to actually storm chasing myself though the interest goes way back. Anyway, long story short, yes I'm one of the younger ones on this board to my knowledge, and do get very excited about chasing, whether its forecasting an event, or, witnessing one unfold. But I would like to think no one actually considers me a yahoo. Correct me if im wrong of course... :wink:

Give it time folks. I'm 42 and still haven't personally met any of the folks on this board.

Yahoos and wannabe's tend to weed themselves out thorugh natural selection. Those that are serious,contientious and really enthused, will tend to stand out over time.

There's always some kind of discussion about who's doing what to whom, and at times, can get rather intense. Buck up and bear with it as the dust seems to settle down after a period of time. Once Tim, Shane, David and the rest of us have long gone to pasture, there's got to be others out there to carry on the tradition.

I'm definetely in the younger age category, as I'm 18. BUT, I will answer your question as good as I can:

No I am not a yahoo, not anymore than a lot of the folks on this board, and I don't see them as yahoos, so the feelings are back at me I hope. I chase with a couple of friends, I'm always the driver, and I have a ton more weather knowledge than any of my partners, but they have all been through skywarn spotting classes before they come with me, as that's my golden rule, I gotta have another skywarn class "graduate" in my car with me so my tunnel vision on the task of driving doesn't lead to danger, which rarely happens because I know my limitations and I never do anything overly wreckless to put anyone in the car or the car itself in danger, not to mention other drivers.

I chased with local Skywarn and Spotter nets from the age of 14, and I chased my first time driving when I had just turned 16. So my advice to any overzealous 16 year old, make sure you have done a few things: had a season of spotting under your belt with someone who knew what they were doing, have gone to a skywarn class yourself, and feel completely comfortable with your ability to drive in bad weather with a million things going on at once. Failing to do any of these only put yourself, other chasers, your vehicle and any ride-alongs in danger. I'd also advise to only chase locally (your county) the first few times so you at least have a general understanding of where everything is, as getting lost and hitting a dead-end can be a bad thing if you have a monster hail-shaft coming, I promise Mom and Dad will not be happy.

Which brings me to my next piece of advice, make sure your mom and dad know what you are doing and are fine with it. You do NOT want to lie to them and have them find out the hard way, with a broken windshield from baseball sized hail (although I can't speak from experience as I let my plans be known from the get-go, but I'm sure its not good). Another thing GET A JOB! This is an expensive hobby, I spend around $100 per chase on food, gas, and other odds and ends. Asking for that much money from parents won't fly forever. Also make sure you know how to do basic car repairs and have the tools with you, this is something that could mean a lot if you get a flat tire 5W of Cheyenne, Oklahoma (that's FROM experience). Lastly, read through the topics here and learn basic forcasting, and the technical aspects of storms, I did this before 2004 and it paid off a TON. There is a lot to learn, don't go out thinking you know everything, you'll get a negative vibe from the guys that have been at it 10 years or more. I have been chasing 2 seasons going on 3, and I still have more than I can think of to learn. And lastly, be safe and have fun!

I'm 28 and I'm a yahoo. It has nothing to do with age. Why am I a yahoo? Cause, for one, I like to get close(the closer you are the bigger the thrill!!!!). Another reason, I do speed on occasion. I also went out and leaned "the hard way". That is all it takes to become a yahoo. Life goes on......

I agree with Mike H.

I'm soon to be 20, and have only chased in or around my state (MI).

Anyway, as long as you are acting responsible as far as other peoples safety is concerned, then you are doing nothing wrong. Being so close to a tornado that you can throw a bottle into it (while naked), is personal choice, and isn't harming anyone. Going over the speed limit sometimes isn't that bad either, as long as you aren't doing it recklessly.

I like the thrill, I like the rush, and the closer the better... I also enjoy learning about meteorology (all aspects), as well as the meso/micro physics of supercellular storms...

After nearly a decade of hearing the word, IMO 'yahoo' is the term used to describe any person who's not in the immediate, intimate circle of chasers that's having the conversation about the original person. Chasing is segregated much like high school, and every group has its moments where it looks down on others. I'm not convinced it's as much a chasing issue as a social issue, most of the time.

I'm experienced and reasonably successful. I also speed when I want to, I get excited and act a fool sometimes when I see a tornado, and I actually enjoy the experience. That will get you the "yahoo" brand on just about any jury, anytime. I don't really think "yahoos" exist, as far as the popular definition; it's just a made-up term for an unliked person, much the same as "nerd" or "geek" are used in school.

I've yet to meet a single chaser who pointed a finger at another chaser and called him/her a yahoo, that had a perfect record him/herself. We all screw up out there.

22 and a grad student in college. Plenty of college students from OU out there. I like to think most try and are curteous, but there are a few morons. Most of us are out there for all the same reasons as everyone else. AS far as 'yahoos' goes, they are both young and old etc. Doesn't have much to do with age/colleges. I know the stormgasm guys... they take a lot of shit, but from my eyes they are just extremely passionate about tornadoes. They are nice guys in general and would never mean harm to others... just simply get excited. Yahoos? Subjective term. They don't care what others think... they are out there to see tornadoes.

Aaron

I think it is great that there are younger chasers as long as they act responsibly (important for chasers of any age).

I do have one word of warning. I think chasing is sort of addicting and it would be easy to neglect one's studies. I am glad I completed my education before the internet and starting to be a serious storm chaser.

Bill Hark

We've all been there.

Ages when began chasing (for those I'm familiar with):
Me - 19
Gene Rhoden - 16
Alan Moller - 22
Tim Marshall - 23
Charles Doswell - 27

I think chasing attracts a considerable number of young individuals, which probably skews stats & perceptions. The older ones are typically those who have stuck it out and found a niche.

Tim

However, I'm more curious about younger chasers who take chasing seriously and act responsibly. Are they few and far between? In fact, are there some younger chasers on this forum?

I think you'll find that a significant percentage of serious chasers are in their late teens or 20s - which makes sense, as they're less likely to have a family or a career to hinder their chasing. In a poll taken here earlier this year, 63% of the participants claimed to be 29 or younger.

I'm gonna be sixteen soon, and I've been chasing for the past three seasons with my Father and Jason Hetzel. I stay steer clear of danger; and while I do get close to some storms, doesn't everybody? :wink:

I take chasing very seriously and love to gather all the knowledge I can about severe weather forecasting (the little that I know so far...).

I do have one word of warning. I think chasing is sort of addicting and it would be easy to neglect one's studies. I am glad I completed my education before the internet and starting to be a serious storm chaser.

Very true... one must be able to set priorities. Those who don't will not last at OU for too long.

I missed out on Happy, TX a few years ago to study for a calc 4final that I had to pull a D up to a C in because of a crappy prof. End result... yes I missed the wedge action near Happy, but I also got a C... escaping my only narrow miss thus far.

On a side token, I think chasing actaully helped my class during the Spring of 03. Finals week happened to fall during the extremely active severe weather week.... even if not all of us were chasing numerous days (which some of us were), just the distraction of supercells on radar every day impacted many. I wouldn't be suprised if it lowered the means on the tests by at least 5-10% in some cases ; )

For example, I went into my numerical methods final with radar blips just going up on KTLX on May 8th... this is after listening to live broadcasts of NOAA weather radio and seeing the PDS watch out. Halfway through the final (which wasn't going so hot), the lights flickered. A few minutes later, we heard sirens. Any bit of concentration that was still with me was hosed at that point.

Aaron

Back