You want to see blizzard? Check this out...

My office just issued two products for me at the same time - one says up to a half-inch by midnight, the other says 1-4" overnight. Gotta believe if #1 is true, there's no WAY #2 will be true based on current radar & forecasts...

We got about 3.5 inches here... That main axis of heavy snow seems to be tapering somewhat. DTW definitely won't see warning criteria. We will probably be looking at 5 inches tops over here where I am by 10am tomorrow.

What happened to this storm? Not enough true arctic air available, or what? This thing seems like it definitely had more than enough potential to lay down a HEAVY swatch of snow, considering it's stronger than Jan 2 1999 (which put down +18 inches). I'm guessing the rain at the beginning, combined with the warm layer in the first 500-1000FT really dropped snow ratios. I would have thought this system would have sucked down colder air being as deep as it is.

"Not enough true arctic air available, or what?"

That would be my guess... After last night's run I thought I was going to have to eat some MEGA crow after downplaying this all week, but I'll take the positive verification instead (even if it came for the wrong reason!)

I've been watching them on GRR all night - can't imagine that's convection and seems to be way too many for gravity waves.

Not a bad snow for you guys, but not as much as I thought you'd get either. It looks like there were some pretty intense banding earlier, but they seemed to move around too much to give any one area a lot of heavy snow. I was also quite surprised the rain persisted as long as it did in many areas.

I was pretty confident this morning someone not too far from Detroit would get a foot of snow, now that looks like a long shot. Except maybe up in the thumb.

You guys should be happy though, as most of the rest of us in the country are bored out of our minds with weatherless weather...

Not a bad snow for you guys, but not as much as I thought you'd get either. It looks like there were some pretty intense banding earlier, but they seemed to move around too much to give any one area a lot of heavy snow. I was also quite surprised the rain persisted as long as it did in many areas.

I was pretty confident this morning someone not too far from Detroit would get a foot of snow, now that looks like a long shot. Except maybe up in the thumb.

You guys should be happy though, as most of the rest of us in the country are bored out of our minds with weatherless weather...

Well, I *would* be happy, but winds are now gusting up around 35-40MPH, and it just reminds me of how much of a waste this storm was (or how nice of a blizzard it would have been). This is probably the last time I'll be on the cold and snowy side of a 980-985MB bomb for quite some time... Unless this upcomming amplified pattern can produce something :roll:

Well, I wouldn't call today "weather-ful"...

If you enjoy walking through crap slushy alleys (at work earlier) amidst already grossly freezing temperatures, then yeah -- today was the day to bow to Mama Nature. I certainly enjoy extreme winds... But this freezing weather with 1-3" inches of snow (a foot, even) sucks to beyond compare. I'd rather have georgous, warm temperatures (these past few weeks have been pretty damn good) and wear t-shirts, then be tracking through this junk. Well, we're now heading into weeks of misery (with high temps averaging 20-30F)... Joy!

I have plenty of activities to do then to worry about chasing severe storms... But, this crap weather affects my lifestyle to an extreme extent.

Well, I wouldn't call today "weather-ful"...

If you enjoy walking through crap slushy alleys (at work earlier) amidst already grossly freezing temperatures, then yeah -- today was the day to bow to Mama Nature. I certainly enjoy extreme winds... But this freezing weather with 1-3" inches of snow (a foot, even) sucks to beyond compare. I'd rather have georgous, warm temperatures (these past few weeks have been pretty damn good) and wear t-shirts, then be tracking through this junk. Well, we're now heading into weeks of misery (with high temps averaging 20-30F)... Joy!

I agree (although, I usually drive, LOL)...

If we aren't going to get anything good, then it might as well be sunny and 85F out. What I mean by good is at least 10 inches, or an ice storm with at least half an inch. Basically, anything which will disrupt mankind LOL

So, chalk this one up as another could-have-been winter storm...

All I will say is that we better have a good winter storm sometime during this next arctic blast to make it worth it, AND adding to my list of demands - we better have a damn active spring and summer severe weather-wise.

Last time i check, around 1am or so, i had 7 inches on the ground. Transformers were blowing and limbs are coming down, one took out my cable so no tv for me. Why the obs. from the airport say overcast is beyond me, because i can tell you there is snow falling, vis. around one mile or less.

Back