You can use one GPS device with more than one program.

I'm still having tons of problems running this. My real com port is COM6, and I've set COM5 as the "virtual" port. I'd like to run both Mapsource and Netstumbler. I set Mapsource to listen on COM6, and that works ok. Should I set Netstumber on COM5 then?

Since COM6 is your real com port, try creating 2 virtual ports (COM7, COM8, whatever). Then assign Mapsource to COM7 and Netstumbler to COM8 (or whatever your virtual ports are). Don't assign any programs to your "real" com port. Assign your programs to the "virtual" ports.

Let me know if this works for you.

Sheila,

It didn't work. I created Com 5 and Com 7 as virtual ones. I set Com 5 to Mapsource, and Com 7 to Netstumbler. Neither one could connect to the GPS.

Originally posted by Dan Cook
Sheila,

It didn't work. I created Com 5 and Com 7 as virtual ones. I set Com 5 to Mapsource, and Com 7 to Netstumbler. Neither one could connect to the GPS.

First off, are ya making sure your setting baud rate to 4800, rather than 9600?

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Dan Cook
Sheila,

First off, are ya making sure your setting baud rate to 4800, rather than 9600?[/b]

You referring to the Serial splitter program? Yea.

Here's a screen shot of my Serial Splitter setup:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.visibleimagery.com/forumimages/serialsplitter.jpg

COM10 is my real port. COM5,6,7,8 and 9 are virtual.

For MapSource, my settings are:

Serial port button checked
Serial port: COM6
Baud Rate: 9600 (no option for 4800 here)

For Netstumbler, my settings are:

Protocol: NMEA 0183
BPS: 4800
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Port: COM8
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

As you can see in the screen shots, COM6 and COM8 show busy because MapSource and Netstumbler were connected at the time I took it.

I'm using an Earthmate GPS (USB version) with the serial driver for it installed. I also have it setup in Device Manager (I'm running XP) as BPS=4800, Data Bits=8, Parity=None, Stop bits=1, Flow control=None.

Don't know if any of this will help you or not...just thought I would throw it out there. Not sure why your setup is not working... :scratch:

Back