You can use one GPS device with more than one program.

JR Hehnly

EF4
Yesterday I successfully ran 5 GPS programs simultaneously off of one USB mouse GPS using this software:
http://www.eltima.com/products/serialsplitter/
It takes the serial port for the GPS (I set to com 12) and creates 'virtual' com ports, one for each program. I manually set the GPS on com 12 since many programs don't let you set past com 8 and I wanted to leave those lower coms available for virtual ports.
Now I can run multiple maps, swiftwx, and netstumbler all at the same time... COOL!

Edit:
Forgot to add, on the serial port configuration tab for the real port I had to uncheck autoconfigure and set baud rate to 4800 to get it to work.

Thanks for this info! I am always fighting this problem with my GPS. I will be trying this software out tonight.

Thanks again J.R.

I found another program that will create virtual ports, GpsGate. It seems to work great. I currently have SwiftWX, Street Atlas and Netstumbler running and all are getting GPS data. I'll give it a good stress test tomorrow while I'm out chasing. This one is a little cheaper, $29.95 for one license. You can download a free 15 day trial at http://franson.biz/gpsgate/index.asp

I found another program that will create virtual ports, GpsGate. It seems to work great. I currently have SwiftWX, Street Atlas and Netstumbler running and all are getting GPS data.

Sheila, have you been happy with your Street Atlas Program? That is by DeLorme right? Have you run into any roads while chasing that aren't in the program? I just bought it and haven't had a chance to take it chasing, just wondering how well the small roads are represented. Thanks.

Sheila, have you been happy with your Street Atlas Program? That is by DeLorme right? Have you run into any roads while chasing that aren't in the program? I just bought it and haven't had a chance to take it chasing, just wondering how well the small roads are represented. Thanks.

Actually I just switched to it from MapSource so I haven't taken it out chasing. But I've been playing with it and seems pretty detailed. If you are not seeing the smaller roads, keep zooming in and they will probably show up eventually.

Might want to keep Netstumbler to yourself - I think wardriving is a crime in some states. That said, only those without talent or time pay for wireless access. :)

Great stuff!! I've had a lot of StormLab users that wanted to run the software's GPS features in conjunction with "pick your favorite atlas program" (including myself). Will definitely be giving this add-on a tryout and placing a recommendation on the website if all goes well.

A real bugger I've noticed is that fewer and fewer laptops even HAVE serial ports now. If this software creates virtual serial ports from a USB GPS it would be even that more useful.

Evan

I don't have any problems with the Street Atlas software, I've used it every time when chasing and has helped me navigate the backroads of Kansas, Oklahoma and even Nebraska without any problems.

Perhaps you're not zooming in far enough?

I've tried both splitter programs mentioned here, and cannot get them working with Netstumbler or Mapsource. For mapsource, it says that it cannot find the GPS and on netstumbler, I get a GPS timed out message.

Has anyone else ran into problems?

Forgot to add, on the serial port configuration tab for the real port I had to uncheck autoconfigure and set baud rate to 4800 to get it to work. Some of you may have same problem.

I didn't have any problems setting either program up. I did have to set the baud rate to 4800 as J.R. mentioned. But other than that I just setup the main COM port, then the "virtual" ones. I then set the programs I wanted to use to each point to a different virtual port.

I did have some problems yesterday with weird lockups of StreetAtlas. I had to reboot a couple times. I was using GpsGate at the time. I switched to Serial Splitter and never had a problem. Not sure if the problems were caused by GpsGate or not. Will have to do some more testing. But right now I'm leaning toward serial splitter. I'm currently testing the trial version of both.

Originally posted by Sheila_Ward

I did have some problems yesterday with weird lockups of StreetAtlas. I had to reboot a couple times. I was using GpsGate at the time. I switched to Serial Splitter and never had a problem. Not sure if the problems were caused by GpsGate or not. Will have to do some more testing. But right now I'm leaning toward serial splitter. I'm currently testing the trial version of both.

Exactly the case I'm having... I'm running 3-4 programs off my GPS, and StreetAtlas locks up after 10-15 minutes of use. In fact, even when I close it, my PF usage is around 800mb ... Even when I try to force SA to close, it stays put, so I need to reboot the computer... I'll try Serial Splitter, thanks!

This may have been covered in another thread - but does anyone know if there is a way to use Netstumbler with DeLorme Earthmate? - would like to integrate, but doesn't seem to be able.

Thanks -

Have any chasers and/or outdoors enthusiasts used TopoUSA from Delorme? SA, though it has its quirks, is the best mapping software I've tried, though I haven't actually actively used the others myself, rather just seen others use them.

Scott

Since getting the serial splitter I've been running both Mapsource with the Roads & Recreation maps and Microsoft Mappoint 2004.
It's wonderful having 2 different maps running, kept me out of trouble on the 12th.
One thing I've noticed is that if I pull under a gps blocking obstruction (like a gas station awning) and the gps loses signal it seems like ALL the programs send a restart command or something, getting the gps stuck in a loop not acquiring position. I have to stop tracking on all but one program to get it to re-acquire. As long as I pull to edge of the awning when filling up I can prevent that problem, though.

Back