Nagging Windows 7 issues

I've been living with these two Windows 7 issues for the past several seasons, identical problems on two consecutive laptops of different manufacture (HP and Lenovo). I'm hoping by chance that someone here found a quick solution and could pass it on. These problems seem to be related to Windows 7 not allowing software applications to save their own configuration files and/or talk to each other. I've tried suggestions like running the applications as Administrator to no avail.

1.) Different COM ports assigned every startup: Franson GPSGate assigns a different set of virtual COM ports every startup, and likewise StreetAtlas shows different COM ports in the settings drop-down. Sometimes, the StreetAtlas COM port list won't match any in the GPSGate list. For example, GPSGate might assign COM 2, 4, 6 and 8 and StreetAtlas has COM 3,5,7 and 10 in the available list. The next boot-up, the COM numbers in both places will be different. The result is some startups result in the GPS working, some don't. It's like it's not saving the COM settings, and just rolling the dice on the COM ports every time I boot the laptop up.

2.) GPSGate ports are not visible to all applications: ThreatNet (WxWorx) cannot see the virtual GPS ports that GPSGate sets. After extensive trial-and-error, I was able to fix the GPS problem by running ThreatNet in compatibility mode, but when I did that, ThreatNet would not recognize the receiver via USB and was not receiving any satellite data.

3.) Applications not saving settings: DeLorme StreetAtlas, for example, will not save display settings like map view zoom level and turning off "center on GPS". I have to re-set them every time I run StreetAtlas.

Dan, I've had similar "trouble" with GPSGate since I first downloaded it in 2008 using an HP with Vista, and since replacing that laptop with an ASUS with 7 in 2011. The reason for the quotation marks is that I've found a solution that works really well, except for when I forget the startup process, like at the start of a season when I haven't done it in a long time. Plus, it is a bit of a PitA, but it takes only a couple minutes. Maybe this will help you, maybe not:

I have a GPSGate shortcut on my taskbar, which I right-click and choose "settings". Then I run the setup wizard... every time I want it active.

I use GRL3, not ThreatNet. I have to choose the port there every time, too, but that takes only a second once the GPSGate is up and running. Compatibility mode is not required. I also don't use Street Atlas.

Another unrelated problem is that if I forget to have the GPS already running when I plug it into the laptop my cursor goes crazy and moves and clicks random stuff all over my desktop! (It's an ancient Garmin V from 2001 or 2002 which is connected via a 9-pin serial plus an adapter.)

I've had the same issue with having different comports each time. I found starting things up in the same order each time minimizes that.

1.) Different COM ports assigned every startup

I have had issues with this in the past, but not since I started using a USB hub and then making sure that I plug the USB hub into the same USB port on the laptop. If I change any of the USB plugs around, the COM ports also change. I also make sure everything is plugged into the hub, and the hub is plugged into the laptop, before the laptop is turned on.

I suspect you might see this less on Windows 8.1 too though. I haven't encountered it on my new machine except when I move the GPS to a different USB port.

2.) GPSGate ports are not visible to all applications

How about a separate USB GPS puck just for ThreatNet? Don't run the second puck through GpsGate. Is ThreatNet still valuable in 2015? The pricing, quality of data, and technical difficulties with the hardware and software make it sound like it's a lot more trouble than it's worth.

3.) Applications not saving settings

I had this issue with my older laptops. My current machine is on Windows 8.1 and saves my configurations across all the software that I routinely use including Street Atlas 2014. Have you considered an upgrade to 8.1? (or a new laptop?). All of my legacy hardware works with 8.1 too including my EasyCap, GPS, cameras, and misc motors/circuit boards.

I may try that Windows 8.1 upgrade - sounds like it would be the simplest thing. Right now, everything works except for ThreatNet and GRLevel3 not being able to see the Franson GPS ports. About half the time I boot up the laptop, I have to restart GPSGate to rerun its port wizard, then start up Street Atlas. Then StreetAtlas and GRLevel3 won't save my preferences, requiring going into the options menus each time. It would just be nice to boot up and start every application without having to mess with settings every single time.

As for ThreatNet, it works and still earns its keep. I just can't get my GPS position thing working on it or GRLevel3. Pretty sure it's a Windows 7/GPSGate thing also. Verizon data is quite good these days, but I still run into frequent holes. Rt 61 in MO heading up into Iowa is data-less. IL is getting better, but away from interstates it's still pretty spotty. I don't have a cell amp, which would probably improve things - but how much I'm not so sure. Didn't seem like anyone could get usable data in parts of NW Oklahoma and parts of western/central Nebraska even last year. I'll be anxious to see how Gordon's new amp fares in those areas.

Just to eliminate one obscure problem...are you configuring GpsGate to forward data through a port that is >= 10. If so some applications (notably GRL3) may not be able to handle it. In the case of GRL3 it is/was a known problem. I reported it to Mike last year so it may already be fixed...not sure.

Stupid question - Have you installed the latest version of GPS Gate?

Also, make sure you're not trying to output on the same com port as you're trying to input on.

Check your GPS puck for Windows 8 compatibility if you do plan on upgrading, the older Globalsat units have to be replaced with a newer version to work with 8.

I would like to echo a warning on Windows 8 and GPS also. I ended up returning a new Windows 8.1 laptop solely because I could not get GPSGate to work with. The COM port model that GPSGate relies on is discontinued in Windows 8 and I couldn't find any successful information about getting it working. There also was no available GPS sharing software available for Windows 8 at the time (spring 2014). I eventually paid more to get a Windows 7 laptop, which has worked great so far.

It seems like we discussed this before so if I sound like a broken record I apologize. I would follow the guide from Franson here: http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7218&SearchTerms=Delete,instances. In Windows 7 the folder is Program Files x86 that you want to find. Blow our those .xml files per Johan's post, restart your machine, then get your puck running until it's locked on to a signal.

Now right click GPSGate in the system tray, select Settings, and run the Setup Wizard again. Once GPSGate turns green you can look at your Output tab to see what ports were created. I'd get Street Atlas going first on its default setting (preferably), then GRLX product(s), SN, then WxWorks.

This is key. Each day when you're booting up get the puck locked in, open GPSGate from the system tray, launch the Setup Wizard and without doing anything close it out. The icon goes green and you can then connect your applications in the same order. For me at least this process wakes it up and has worked for me since 2007.

I also think it's crucial to install GPSGate before other software packages like Verizon, etc. that create COM ports that tend to hog up the lower numbered ports and leave the leftovers for GPSGate. If all else fails maybe we can spend an evening on the phone and I can help you hopefully get it fixed.

As others have said, it's important to plug things into the same ports. Also, you could see this if devices are trying to use the same COM ports. I had to manually set some back when I used a ExpressCard card for Internet vs. the MIFI now. So, just check that you aren't trying to co-assign ports and make sure you always use the same ports for the same things. Develop a mental or paper checklist if needed to do this as it's really the only answer. The Windows 8 issues have been pretty much fixed now that GPSGate supports it and the BU-353-S4 is out.

Bumping an old thread with an update. I never did get this problem fixed with my original OS (factory) install. However, I just wiped my laptop clean and did a fresh re-install of the OS. Like many new PCs, the Windows OS usually defaults to a non-admin user account. Prior to installing any software, I followed these instructions to enable the Administrator account:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Window...dministrator-account-in-Windows-7/ta-p/237460

Then, after logging in as Administrator, I installed all of my normal chase applications (WxWorx, GPSGate, StreetAtlas, GRLevel3 etc). So far, everything is working as it should, even after several boot-ups. COM ports are consistent and GPS data is flowing to everything.

Back